Why didn't Season 9 start were 8 Left off?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SmegUpStevo, Jun 25, 2009.

1. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins

Um not really. Some of us think it should have stopped before BTE while it was still good.

2. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

Change the record Simon. I remember in a not too distant past where roles were reversed and you berated people for slamming VII&VIII.

3. 30daysandnights

30daysandnights Skutter

is there really a season 9 playing i live in maine u.s.

4. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

I was just pointing out that not everyone was glad to see it back. I would still love to see more RD but only if it can live up to the earlier series and I don't think BTE did.

5. Edward

Edward Third Technician

... well I haven't seen it yet, but I bet I'll like it~!

Was the Cat still all into his reflection and stuff? That'd be neat!

6. AlexAtkin

AlexAtkin Skutter

I think at the end of the day, people had too big expectations for BTE.

The thing that screwed it up the most I think was having it in 3 parts. When I watched it the first time, I hated it. When I went back and watched all three parts together, it seemed a lot better. I haven't seen the directors cut yet (waiting on the Blu-ray) but I expect it to be even better still.

Sure, its not up to the standards I hoped for, but as others have said - it was an anniversary episode and for that to work, especially after all this time, it had to make sacrifices.

Anyone who thinks that a new series should not exist purely because this one special was not perfect, is being really pessimistic. Its not like you HAVE to watch the show if a new series is made, by all means crawl under a rock with your fingers in your ears, I wont mind. But I would like to see a new series thank you, even if it was terrible at least I would get a sense of closure rather than wondering what potential episodes are sat in a cabinet somewhere never to see the light of day.

I for one do not hate on the last few series as much as a lot of people seem to do. Yes, the show changed, but what show doesn't when it makes it that far? You have to evolve, there are only so many ideas and I would rather have a slightly flawed show than it stop dead. It was still funny, even Series 7 which by all accounts was the weakest, had plenty of laughs despite how much I disliked the new Kochanski. I do think she is very weak next to the rest of the cast (never laughed at a single line she has said), but the rest of the cast held it together and it picked up in Series 8 by not having to rely on her as much.

So yes, I would like a new series. Surely the sign of a "true" fan is to have faith and not assume everything is crap, before you have even seen it yet.

7. Terran

Terran Skutter

Can we all agree that anyone who uses the term 'true fan' meaning they don't like an opinion that is different to their own, should be shot and fed to the ravenous bugblatter beast of traal? ;-) Or at least to the Polymorph :P

8. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Yeah I think that one is fair enough.

9. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Fair point, although we wouldn't know about it so it wouldn't be quite so bad. I would just rather see RD go out on a high (as say Fawlty Towers did) rather than fade away as the X Files did. And I don't think BTE lived up to its potential.

10. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I thought the Cat was more like his earlier self. More cat-like in nature, which he'd lost in later series. I got the impression that was intentional.

I hope you do enjoy it when you get to see it. But one thing that seems to have come from discussions on this forum is that you may need to view it a couple of times; once to get over your expectations from earlier series, and once to enjoy it for what it is. So don't be discouraged if you don't take to it straight away.

11. herpyderpderp

herpyderpderp Skutter

it led from the alternate ending where the rest of the crew had run but they managed to defeat the monster and it ends with rimmer waving at holister as he drifted away in one of the escape pods

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

You've just bumped a thread that was last posted in 2 and a half years ago.

13. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

If it was set immediately after series VIII not taking the fictional series in the hallucination into account the cast will have aged too much for it to be set immediately after Only the Good.

14. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

I hope it's never explained as it doesn't really need to be. There are more interesting things for the boys to do than talk about events that happend over a decade ago for them. Plus, it's another in a long line of Red Dwarf sidestepping or glazing over cliffhangers - 'Parallel Universe'/'Backwards' and 'Out of Time'/'Tikka to Ride'.

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i dont care what happened after the cliff hanger as i feel series 8 in general didnt take itsself seriously enough for me to care

16. Paul Taylor

What, you mean because the fictional series were just a joke and don't actually exist? Just so I'm clear, is that what you actually mean In which case, you would be correct.

17. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

There's no need to SHOUT!!

18. Paul Taylor

Isn't there? Oh, good.

19. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Thats better :-)

20. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

I wish it started after series 6 & all of 7 & 8 were revealed to be an hallucination!