Why didn't they.....

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Sep 17, 2009.

1. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

Is there RD situaton in wich you would act diferently than heroes? Or you can see better solution at?

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Use any of the various time machines they find to travel home then instantly destroy the time device to prevent the whole 'future self' thing.

My own personal answer is that Lister realises after Ouroboros that his mission in life is to survive past the extinction of the human race and somehow find a way to repopulate it in the time period he currently resides in. Still, he could reasonably let the others go, the selfish git! :-)

Also if I was Lister rather than go on a curry hunt I'd have used the time machine to go back in time and marry Kochanski ala Stasis Leak as you'd think, you know, as the whole five year thing approached it might have been on his mind to the point where it was the first thing he thought of.

3. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

They were scared of using time mashine to go back to Earth... with a reason.... but there was nice oportunities they didn't use

4. bedfordfalls

True but that wouldn't stop Lister going back in time to marry Kochanski ala Stasis Leak which wasn't something that occured on Earth but on board Red Dwarf when it was somewhere in the region of Gannymede. It makes little sense that he would have forgot about this given that getting Kochanski is practically his life's mission at that point and would instead prefer to go on a curry hunt. As stated though nothing about Tikka really makes sense, it's still a great episode though. :-)

5. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Oh my goodness, I've just thought of something. What if the bearded Lister who married Kochanski in Stasis Leak was the same "future self" as the one in Out of Time? Perhaps going back in time to marry Kochanski was just the start of the future crew's mission to "travel back and forth throughout the whole of history" and "sample the best of everything"? It certainly fits bearded Lister's explanation that "In five years time, you find another way to come back in time." He was referring to the time drive.

The point I'm making is, that whole future timeline winked out of existence when the future selves blew up the current crew at the end of series six. So following the beginning of Tikka to Ride, we wouldn't expect Lister to marry Kochanski as promised, any more than we'd expect Kryten to get that horrible toupee or meet Goering.

I think I fixed it!!

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I like that explanation.

Another I've considered is that the 'Future Lister' is in fact from a parallel universe*. If he was, would he know? (If he did it casts his parallel universe 'run for your wife' gag in a different light.)

*Which doesn't contradict your explanation if you think about it. All separate decisions spawn a new universe, so that timeline would certainly constitute one. In that sense, alternate versions of you needn't be those parallel to you like Ace Rimmer is to Rimmer. They may actually be you from a possible future. Actually the same is true for Ace and Rimmer when you go back to the little boy before he took his exam... they were one person too at some point.)

7. bedfordfalls

Except by that logic nor would we expect him to go on a curry hunt. Curry or Kochanski? I'm pretty sure Lister would pick the latter, in fact later in series 7 that's exactly what he chooses to do when he chooses attempting to woo her over "that spicy stuff".

Here's one to set your head spinning though: Perhaps Chloe Annett's parallel Kochanski is the Kochanski in the hotel room in Stasis Leak (you have to ignore the difference in actress) and its not the one who happens to be on shore leave when Lister checks with her roommate. Perhaps both Lister and Kochanski who are in the hotel room have travelled back in time as some sort of ironic joke to play on the young Lister :-)

8. deadman_inc

deadman_inc Catering Officer

BETWEEN TWO PERSONALITIES IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE
    hi all,

this sounds like a sort of chicken or the egg type of dilema.
    does lister go for curry or kochanski?
    well as the series time line proves, lister goes for a curry first
    and kochanski second. this is born out by the fact that the stasis
    leak was found in series 2 in the episode of the same name. where as
    the time drive was found many years later in series 6 episode "out of time".
    when the crews future selves destroyed their past selves they only destroyed
    the time line that had started with the drives descovery in the same episode.
    this proves that the marriage to kochanski would have happened after the curry
    hunt as the new time drive excersion produced a new course of events that could
    quite easily caused a stasis leak in listers imediate past as the crew had gone
    back to 1963 long before any space travel took place. the resulting bodged attempt
    to restore original events would have had one or two side effects, hence the stasis
    leak in series two. (if you can grasp this concept your a better person than i!)

9. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

It seems likely that Lister will make it to give his future echo at age 171. After all, Cassandra does predict his death-by-bra at age 181.

How a curry-guzzling, beer-sigging, anti-healthy slob like Lister makes it 181 is a story in itself I suppose.

10. jeremy

jeremy Catering Officer

Maybe Lister lived for so long because he had something to live for, which was to get back to earth. That is if he gets back to earth because in future echos they show lister aged 171 on Red Dwarf, which only gives him 10 years to get back to earth.