Why do Psirens & Duct Soup get a bad rep?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Springyard, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Springyard

Springyard Third Technician

From some people? Psirens gross people out too much?

I feel that the 'You've squeezed out all the ketchup from my burger' line was not given its full due by the audience. Too contrived?

After the overlong pipes speech from Kochanski, Duct Soup has some classic lines from Cat in the tunnels.

2. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I really like Psirens personally, although that said I did find Grogan's acting quite painfully poor in her scene and the burger ketchup line I just never found at all funny. Duct Soup I think is largely just seen as a poor imitation of Marooned, it's not necessarily bad, it's just a not great episode from a not great series.

3. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I like both episodes

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i like psirens, duct soup is no marooned but it has its moments

5. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I do really like Psirens - it's got some of the best model work in Red Dwarf imo, a good story and some great moments. Don't remember the ketchup/burger line though.

Duct Soup - well, it's part of series 7 so it won't get a lot of people's vote. Watched it recently, not a fan.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Since becoming a big fan of series 7 (I really hated it on first broadcast) I've come to love Duct Soup and now regard it as one of my favourite Red Dwarf episodes of all time. I would never claim it to be classic Dwarf, but I like the storyline, the premise, and if you've got a taste for series 7 and its new cast dynamic then it works pretty well. Still, it has its fair share of weak lines, and the dialogue never even comes close to matching that in Marooned (or for that matter any classic-era episode).

Psirens is my least favourite episode from my favourite series. I just find the storyline uninteresting and unengaging, and the Psirens themselves are a pretty substandard foe compared to many others that we've seen over the years.

7. Springyard

The Psirens are bug eyed, man sized, beetle-like slobbering monsters that can suck out brains through a straw. They're the creepiest enemies that I know of on Red Dwarf therefore great enemies.

8. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I'll echo what Bluey said. Love Duct Soup, as I do the whole of series 7 (scary to think how good a series it could have been if Rimmer was fully present). I like 'all-nighters' - just something about an episode that portrays this which gives me joy, not sure why.

Psirens - meh! It's not bad, but the bug / creature thing is uninspiring. Sorry, Springyard.

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I find the Psirens boring and ridiculous looking. The best enemies are ones that manage to be both menacing and hilarious at the same time such as the Inquisitor, Hudzen and Queeg.

10. Springyard

Series 7 could have easily been salvaged in to a decent successor to series 6 even without Rimmer in the last few episodes.

They just needed to be more like series 5 / 6 with villain of the week for a few episodes. Then you don't have to spend quite so long writing about pineapple chunks.

I just fiind it disappointing that Naylor feels that he doesn't have to have new monsters (dinosaur, squid, computers and 'creator' excepted) anymore as if what he's writing is Harold Pinter. I'd settle for Legion 2 if they could make it fresh (and a cooler suit in black).

11. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I like Psirens fine enough, no complaints there, but not a big fan of Duct Soup. I guess it was the Bottle Episode format that I didn't really like. Also I could never get over the fact that there was supposed to be "miles" of ductwork in Starbug; even at 212% larger than normal, this is ridiculous. Although the episode did have some of the best Cat scenes of Series VII.

12. Mowgli

Mowgli Third Technician

Cat: I can't understand why he went to the trouble of using his kidney as a full stop.

Rimmer: I don't think he meant to do that. It probably just...plopped out

Psirens is a very solid episode with some great lines. Duct Soup? Meh.

13. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Psirens is vintage RD. But Duct Soup is just alright and a bit of a poor man's Marooned thinking of it now.

14. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I really like Psirens personally, it's maybe the 3rd best from series 6 for me but I actually hold it in pretty high regard. Duct Soup on the other hand is somwhat more problematic, while hardly a contender for worst episode....it was an episode that showed many of the problems with the dymanic change, Rimmer's absence is felt pretty badly and Kryten is at his second most irritatingly whiny.

15. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

Is the ketchup line from a deleted scene or something? I have seen Psirens many, many times and I don't remember it.

16. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

And why is it "ketchup" rather than "tomato sauce"?

17. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

"You squeezed all the ketchup out of my burger!"

The joke is that you see something red splatter on to the screen, and assume it's the guy's blood/brains - but the line then reveals it's actually ketchup.

Took me a long time to get that one, actually. It's one of those where when you see the gag, you can see what they were trying to do but it's a bit awkward in execution to make it fit.

18. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

I swear, I have never heard that line before in my life. It must have been the audience laughter mixed with his moaning before and after which has somehow covered it up and it never registered with me. I've just re-watched it and noticed it this time. It is an awful joke, but happening in the fashion it does it gets wasted here.

19. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Never noticed it before and that's totally for the best as it would have spoilt slightly an otherwise perfect episode. Maybe it was made so difficult to discern in post production because it is so awkward and jarring a line in such a sharply scripted series.

It would be nice to see the gags per minute style brought back for series 11 though it would be difficult to resurrect so many years on without rob too. I will be happy as long as there are more lol moments, a bit more Rimmer-Lister sparring and wittier banter. Not long to go now - just like waiting for Christmas IMHO.

20. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

Things just fell into place for me.

Like you, I've never noticed that line before and I've seen the episode upwards of 20 or 30 times, maybe more.

I ALWAYS thought that splatter was supposed to be blood, but it was so unconvincing because it looked EXACTLY LIKE KETCHUP. Now it all makes sense. That line must really be drowned out in laughter or something. I'll have to re-watch the episode and listen closely.