Why does Rimmer talk about going "back to earth"

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by DivineVarod, Sep 29, 2015.

1. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Something I've always wondered. Rimmer always talks about going "back" to earth, as if he'sd from earth like Lister. When in fact he is not from earth but from IO. So why is he so keen to go "back" to somewhere he has never been?

2. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

We know he grew up on Io, but we don't know where he was living when he signed up with the Dwarf, or anything. He might well have lived on Earth as an adult.

(is the charitable explanation)

3. DivineVarod

I did consider that at one point and I think I'll accept that. Would be wonderful to see "Rimmer the lost years". We know all about his childhood and his later life on the ship. But what happened in the years between!!:-D

4. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

If I can relate this to my own experiences, I grew up on British Army bases in Germany having moved out there when I was 2 so had no memories of living in the UK and my sister was born at the RAF hospital in Wegberg, that said when we did move to England in mid 90s we still thought of it as moving back to the UK. I guess we saw it quite possibly in the same way that the Rimmers would see Earth, it was still our nation (Or planet for Rimmer) of origin, so it still seemed like we were returning there even if neither of us had any memories of experiencing living there.

Plus Rimmer does request the British Embassy in Terrorform, indicating that he does have some legal connection to the UK at any rate.

The other possibility is that Earth is the planet of origin for Red Dwarf itself, so regardless of where the remaining crew originated from, Red Dwarf is hopefully eventually going back to its home.

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

We've seen so little of Io that I don't think you can come to that conclusion, outside of the two Rimmer parents and Howard I don't think we've even heard any other Iovians speak, at least not anyone who's been identified as such.

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I don't think there was an inbetween period. According to Rimmer he left home to become an officer and a gentleman and wound up servicing chicken soup machines, considering that and all his long service medals I'd assumed that he went more or less straight from school into the JMC.

7. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Has Rimmer ever really been that bothered with getting back? Lister mentions it a lot but Rimmer always seemed to try and put him off.

8. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I've always thought of Earth as the capital of the Solar System. It's the most likely place to still be populated by humans and, once there, the transport links to other planets will be plentiful.

If I was stranded in another country, I might find travelling back to London easier and I could always find my way home from there.

Perhaps it's just the same thing, just on a much larger scale.

9. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I agree with cloud. It's mainly lister who wants to go to earth. Rimmer wants to find aliens I thought.

10. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I don't think that's really been a goal for Rimmer since Series II. It's one of those things like Esperanto which has been effectively quietly dropped.

11. DivineVarod

I think he mentioned it a few times in later eps/Back to Earth (where he seems quite aware of earth workings.)
    I actually wrote a fan fiction once with him talking about what he have done if Lister had not wanted to go to earth.

When the Cat can't get away

It's something I've always thought about: Lister has always wanted to go back to earth, but what do Rimmer and Cat want
    (I don't count Kryten, as he just wants what Lister wants as long as he can clean there ;-) )

That's always a difficult one when did he really leave home? If it was at 14 he can't have joined the Space Corp straight away - I don't think they'd employ children. And he did work for the Samaritans!!

12. trollsb

trollsb First Technician

I assumed it was because he has to get back to earth with lister for him being stuck with lister to be over.

13. DivineVarod

In a way I've always felt he deep down inside does not want to get rid of Lister. He needs him as he's the only one who's shown him a bit of kindness and he's scared to be left alone ...

14. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Homoerotic

15. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

Rimmer did make it to the position of repairman so we can safely assume there are *some* low level jobs he was competent at. Presumably he spent much of his teen years doing those.

16. DivineVarod

True. I think that he has ended up with a self sabotaging personality because of the way he has been brought up. Chris says Rimmer has been "conditioned" by his upbringing. I think that's right. You can see glimpses of what he could have been at times, but he keeps falling into the same mind-trap ...

17. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I would hazard a guess at around 17-18, assuming that he may have tried for further education or exam resits, and as he apparently divorced his parents that's why I'd guess that would happen at any fairly early age but old enough that he doesn't make any reference to going into care of any sort. I'd surmise that he'd moved out since he refers to being granted access to the family dog.

He did work for the Samaritans true, but it was for one afternoon IIRC (Lemming Sunday) so I wouldn't take that as a massive career diversion, he could have volunteered during the training/induction process for the JMC, whilst back on leave or even as a shipboard counsellor. Also apart from that one exception, he makes no reference to doing anything prior to joining the JMC, unlike Lister who we know went to art school (albeit equally briefly) and worked as a supermarket trolley attendant, it would seem odd that in ten series Rimmer's never referenced anything else if it was for any sort of significant period of time.

It's all guesswork I admit but I don't think anything there's an unreasonable assumption based on what little we have to go on.

Bearing in mind that he could only apparently be trusted with jobs too menial for the service robots and what Hollister referred to in Rimmer's confidential file as jobs that were not worth doing, and that was after somewhere between 12 and (presumably as the gap between the other medals was 3 years each time) 15 years of service.

18. DivineVarod

What I recall is he was at boarding school (IO House), then moved on to Io Polytechnic and Saturn Tech. (He was also at night school doing a film course for some reason)before joining Space Corp ...

19. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

Simon: How old is Rimmer in Series One? Chris Barrie was 28. If Rimmer was the same age, it means that he joined the Space Corps between ages 13-16, which seems very unlikely. Seems Doug and Rob messed up the maths if that is true.

20. DivineVarod

According to the books Rimmer is 31, but don't know if the same goes for the show ...