why does series 8 end as it does?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by razeifenix, Jan 11, 2011.

1. razeifenix

razeifenix Skutter

I have never been able to grasp why it never had an episode after that where it says 'the end.... the smeg it is' what happened? or was it meant to end that way?

2. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Quite a few of the series have ended with big cliff hangers like that and i think it was expected that the BBC would have commissioned a new series quite soon after 8, but it never happened. Thats my theory anyway.

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

It did have an episode after that...Back to Earth Part one. The episode just took 9 years to arrive and by that point we were all more than ready to forget about that awful cliffhanger :-)

4. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Thread moved to the Series I-VIII section!

5. slyde23

slyde23 Supply Officer

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Despite excellent character development and some real complexity of plot and story development, Red Dwarf is not a drama; it is first and foremost a comedy. Characters are taken away and simple devices are found to bring them back. Canon is sometimes completely ignored in favour of comedic development (the Red Dwarf gaining an extra thousand crew members, Lister having his appendix out twice.) And 'cliffhangers' are simply and quickly resolved in order to provide us with the show's most important aspect - laughter.
    In fact, the resolution to the crew being blown up is typical - both silly in a fun way and also scientifically sound! Quite brilliant, in my opinion! Yet this big ending to the series is resolved simply in a matter of a couple of minutes, then we get back to the serious business of comedy!

6. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

An intresting point about the ending is that it was rewriten a few times with one alternative ending actually been filmed first but scraped - the alternative ending is in the bonus feturures in Series 8 - and very funny :-D