Why hasn't there been a funded Red Dwarf fanseries

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by betelgeuse, Apr 3, 2011.

1. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

I know fan series that have been spin-offs of teh actual sci fi series they pastiche and pay tribute to have often been quite quite terrible e.g. there's a few star trek ones I can think of, and that Firefly fan-series Browncoats is terrible...
    Plus there are web series made by amateurs that have been much much more promising e.g. the steampunk webseries Riese, and the judge dredd webseries...I forget what its called.
    So why hasnt there been a Red Dwarf fan series on the interwebs? That has been well directed, with good actors, good comedy and decent writers etc??????

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Because 'Good luck getting the legal clearance for it', I'd imagine.

3. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

aaahh, thats probably why then lol.
    how about those people at browncoats (not the holiday camp, if it does infact exist lol) would they have had to get clearance for the firefly fanseries?

4. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I imagine they skirt the problem by not actually saying it's a Firefly series, and by not including any of the Firefly characters. But I don't know, I've not seen it.

Red Dwarf is its characters, though. Not sure anything thinks a great show would be 'Red Dwarf without Rimmer and Lister'

Also, though, since Firefly flopped and has long since died, it's not like the studio needs to protect it. Red Dwarf remains in active development. So it's a very different set of circumstances - especially since fans are trying to fill a lack of Firefly with their work...I don't think anything feels there 'hasn't been enough' Red Dwarf.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Interestingly I don't think that was alwasy the case. I don't think we've ever done episodes in the 20s, (the way many American series seem to,unless you count soaps which seem to go on forever), but I was quite surprised picking up Blake 7 box-sets from the library to find they were 13 episodes each!

I'm not saying Red Dwarf should take this route mind. Sure I'd like more than 6, but, it's best to be realistic. I'm just happy it looks like they'll be back! That, and I think keeping the amount of episodes per series less than 8, inclusive, is better creatively speaking. It's just interesting to see how things change. Or not. They whack out 13 episodes of New Who after all, (and the earlier series of Torchwood for that matter, although that soon changed) but they seem to be an exception.

6. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Since you cite New Who there, you can also consider that back in the day of Classic Who a series lasted for the whole year in the 60s, and then went for 26 episodes during the 70s/80s (up until it was axed and re-instated in '85/'86). That was 24 minute episodes too, which is the anticipated vein for new Dwarf. And adds up with the 13 double-length episodes these days.

Tying that in with what jmc said, these things are also with a variety of writers across the different stories, overseen by the script editor (now head writer in rough comparison I think).

7. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

In answer to the "what is the cut off". I know the guys that did the 2 Red Dwarf Animated pieces were contacted by GNP, but were only asked to remove the music and any official Red Dwarf logo's. Provided the project was for fun only and not made for any kind of financial gain, GNP were quite happy to let them continue...and I think their little episodes were quite good for fan produced material.

I have seen some fan films where fans have tried to portray both Lister and Rimmer....but it was dreadful....and they admitted so themselves on their own You Tube uploads