Why I would like Blu Ray

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sundayforsammy, May 2, 2011.

1. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Well as the heading says, Why I would like Blu Ray. Now I know there would probaly be no or very little quality improvement by going Blu Ray, so why do I want it? Well the one thing that annoys me on my TV which is a good quality Panasonic Plasma is that old DVD's play in 4:3 which leaves two big black bars down each side, I know i can have the TV auto adjust the aspect ratio or even select one myself but they all either lose some picture or stretch the picture which also lowers the PQ. It would be nice to have the DVD's remastered to blu ray and the aspect ration set for more modern TV viewing. I do realize that there would be some sort of crop going on but done correctly would look much nicer than the DVD's I have now.

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

If the picture were zoomed into, to make it 16:9, you'd lose a huge amount. Not just about half the picture at the top and bottom - a crime in itself leading to every shot not being framed correctly, photographically-speaking - but also picture quality. All you're doing is making the pixels in that centre section fill more space. It wouldn't get crisper or sharper just by using Blu-ray - the extra information to bring that up to resolution (and standard res at that, not even HD) just isn't there.

It'd look about as bad as when doing it with your TV settings. Each shot would be reframed, which would help...but it'd still look blatantly 'wrong'. (Just as the panned and scanned VHSs of yore looked so dreadful, hacking half a widescreen picture away to fit 4:3 TVs.)

I don't understand why you'd want to do it anyway. The black bars at the sides are there because the show was shot 4:3 - it was filmed that way and intended that way. Why would anyone butcher it for Blu-ray? All else aside, Blu-ray predominantly sells to people who care about films and shows being 'as intended' - right colours, picture quality, sound quality, aspect ratio's surely a given!

You wouldn't cut the sides off Alien and Die Hard just to get rid of the bars at the top and bottom, would you?!

3. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Thanks Andrew, great explanation there. So there would be no gain in converting the original to blu Ray. I had been thinking that there would have been a way of making 4:3 original footage into 16:9 or similar without losing or stretching something. Once you pointed out the obvious though i see it's like a square peg won't fit in a round hole.

4. J_Steeder

J_Steeder Third Technician

When you crop a full screen picture to make it widescreen it's actually called 'Enhanced Widescreen'. I hate when they do it, I agree you loose much of the picture. But I really hate is sorta the opposite of what Benny Hill once joked about on one of his old shows. Then it was squeezing a widescreen image so it would fit a fullscreen TV. They have been actually taking fullscreen shows and stretching to fit a widesceen picture. It looks horrible, and to me it's just about unwatchable. Lets hope they never do that with Red Dwarf.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

My widescreen TV actually does something like that with certain broadcasts. Instead of just showing it widescreen it will sometimes zoom in or squidge ordinary aspect ratios to fill the screen. It's not something that can be easily rectified. Actually some DVDs do that too. The early Red Dwarfs for example (they didn't used to, so I suspect it's a TV issue. To be fair my TV is old - still CRT - and has some minor internal damage too. The colour has a vaguely pink hue.).

I think I've also had a thing where certain channels mess up widescreen broadcasts. I.e films that are meant to be shown at the smaller widescreen ration (which I think is 1:85, but I might be wrong) are squidged up to the wider (I think it's 2:35.). That seems more a channel broadcast thing than my telly though I think.

6. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

My 2 Euro cents... One of the main reasons I buy Blu-Ray is most films have DTS sound and I really love hearing the diff.. Mind you, most TV shows would not benefit from that...