Why no love for Meltdown?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by emmawatson, Feb 15, 2016.

1. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

Meltdown is one of my favourite episodes, which is apparently an unpopular opinion :-(. But it has Santa Claus with a machine gun! And Rimmer yelling at Sartre!

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Meltdown has never been one of my favourites, but episodes based around Rimmer are usually entertaining and this one has gradually grown on me over the years. As I've said before, the episode's main problem is that the outdoor scenes (obviously filmed in a couple of fields in England) are unconvincing as a huge wax droid theme park, but there's plenty of good stuff to make up for it. Barrie puts in a typically good performance, and Tony Hawks is brilliant as Caligula. Actually, the only things I really dislike in this episode are those awkwardly inserted Japanese movie scenes.

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

It's grown on me, too. The only aspect I don't really like is how nasty Rimmer is. I know Kryten casually blames it on Lister having chewed his light bee earlier, but this seems like an afterthought. Rimmer's a bit of a smegger, yes, but he'd never bask in death.

Caligula slapping Lister because of Cat's unwise words, and Lister's "SHUT UP!!" always makes me laugh.

4. Springyard

Springyard Third Technician

Good post Billy Casper. I think Rimmer could go all guns blazing to destroy an enemy, though. Either that or run away - no middle ground.

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I never realised Meltdown was supposed to be unpopular until I started coming on here to be honest, I've always enjoyed it although I do agree with Bluey that the Japanese monster movie scenes don't really work in the way that they're just cut into the episode. It's a fun episode IMO and the opening scene with Rimmer's Risk story is really well done.

6. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I absolutely love meltdown! It seems to push boundaries, I think people may miss the humour therefore.

7. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Meltdown having a bad reputation is a self-perpetuating myth. It was mentioned once in the Smegazine and ever since then it's just been a constant conversation along the lines of "Why does Meltdown have a bad reputation? I think it's quite good!"

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

IIRC wasn't that also back when there were only 5 series of Red Dwarf to compare it with? I think most polls since Series VIII tend to place it higher up the rankings, relatively speaking.

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I seem to remember it mentioned in the DVD commentary too. Of course they might have been referring to the smegazine article.

10. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

IMO Meltdown was the worst Red Dwarf episode until Emohawk and the second worst they made before Rob Grant's departure. There are some really weak jokes, some of the show's most annoying preformances (Laural, and sadly even from Chris Barrie himself) and the hypocrisy of Lister's anti-war speach because it his fault for messing with Rimmer's brain by sucking on his light bee....yet there episode seems oddly clueless to that fact......All round just a really weak episode, and a sour note to end an otherwise strong fourth series.

11. ChangeOfPlan

ChangeOfPlan Third Technician

I'm certainly not saying its the best RD episode ever, but it's still up there if you put it next to most episodes after series 6. Yeah ok, on the monster clips I'm with you guys, it didn't really work, but the Elvis dialogue was brilliant and I liked the massacre battlefield scene.

"His names Gandhi sir, Mahatma Gandhi."
    "Well get him out of that damn nappy and into a uniform..."

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Are you seriously suggesting Lister should have known sucking his light bee would have had such an affect on Rimmer? :shock:

13. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Not that it's any kind of real gauge (by their own admission), but G&T has it pretty much dead center in it's Silver Survey ranking at #31.

Personally I make no apologies for saying it's one of my top 5 favorite episodes.

14. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Keep in mind that he has no love for machines, which is what they are, albeit sentient. He was perfectly happy giving Kryten menial chores to do, couldn't care less that Kryten was being deactivated by Hudzen, and often orders him to take his place in dangerous situations. It's perfectly within character for him to wipe out an entire planet of robots for his own personal goals.

15. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Yes, particularly when Kryten actively told him so......yes I do think he should have known.

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yes, I better not pop Rimmer's light bee into my mouth for a joke, just in case it turns him into a ruthless and deranged army general. Yes, seems logical ;-)

Karnie, fair point about Rimmer's uncaring attitude towards machines - never considered his various lines to Kryten; "Dream on, metal trash. Get your hands in the air and step into that searchlight." :-D

17. Briany

Briany Skutter

Meltdown is a great, great episode. It's such a joyfully silly adventure with actually quite a cutting lesson at the end. The lines in it come thick and fast. Where Rimmer inspects the troops is makes the episode a standout alone.

"I'm watching you, Ghandi!!"

"There's only two kinds from Assisi - steers and queers. Which are you, boy?!!"

"Oh my god! There's James Last!!"

And then the Elvis guy, come on. That puts it over the top.

I could put it on any time and laugh heartily.

18. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

The worst episode of the classic Grant & Naylor episode. Just embarrassingly awful x

19. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I think Meltdown is a superb episode.

20. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

A definite Marmite episode?

I really quite like it. None of the guest characters takes away from the Dwarfers really, and it's got some absolutely brilliant situations. I still love the moment that it's revealed Lister and the Cat are hiding in Goebbel's fireplace.