Why no Series IX

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Wandering_Ranger, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Wandering_Ranger

Wandering_Ranger Third Technician

Sorry if I am being thicker than the offsrping of a village idiot and a tv weather girl but Doug said his comment re. series 9 being retired would make sense after the specials. I watched all three and I still don't understand, can someone elaborate?

2. RimmersLeftNostril

RimmersLeftNostril Third Technician

Do'n know why no series 9 however it becomes clear, that Rimmer died on Red Dwarf when he was the only one left, but then that begs the question, WHO THE HELL RESSURECTED HIM? sorry if im being a bit thick here.

3. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    I'm very confuesd too. Ive not seen the Doug interview and Ive only heard there will be no series 9 off of here. I watched the specials and the making of and i cant seem to figure out why not. Is it a cleverly placed cryptic clue or somin :lol:

4. b33tage2

b33tage2 Skutter

maybe the script for season nine was rubbish so dave only gave them cash for season 10?

5. kakchris

kakchris Third Technician

in back to earth the guy im the comic shop said that kochanski fled red dwarf in blue midget during "series ix"
    and we discoverd at the end that this is an event that happend and not part of the hallucination im guessing if red dwarf comes back it will continue with the search for kochanski in a series x ... also just to confuse fans i bet

6. Dasken

Dasken Skutter

I think the reason why they didn't film it because of what someone mentioned, money. By acting like this was "series X" they could pretty much make any plot twist or major event occur and thus used as plot subject matter without having to pay to film a set of episodes.

7. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    well that will look great when you put the dvds on for m8s or family etc. Everytime you metion the dvds your going to be asked wheres series 9 and your gonna have to explain some bizarre and complicated reason why the dvd collection goes from 1-8 then 10:-(

8. liamofsmeg

liamofsmeg Third Technician

what are you on about you twonk, the guy in the shop didnt say that kochanski fled on blue midget, it was the kids on the bus - the guy in the shop said that she got sucked out of the air lock.

what a twonk

9. Kingy78

Kingy78 Third Technician

I agree it sucks. Like I have said before the should do RED DWARF Series 9 The Missing Years to help us catch up with that happened in Series 9 and then do a Series 10 I'm none the wiser after part 3 with what is happening for a future series, I think Doug Naylor
    should announce what is happening so that would understand clearly but maybe he doesn't know himself yet so he is just trying to confuse us all.

Ian.

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It could be argued that BtE functions as Series IX. It's not called series 9 or IX but it still takes that place between series 8 and a possible new series... so call that 10 or X.

From a in-world continuity perspective, things get a little more confusing. In the Earth reality of the episode, BtE is actually set after Series X, which I think is indicative of the amount of time passed and the amount of adventures that have occurred between 8 and BtE. In that world, I guess BtE would be the equivalent of a series 11 (how confusing is that!) although the denizens of the world saw it a the final ever Dwarf.

Maybe this indicates that the next Dwarf series will actually be set before BtE. Thing is, from a continuity perspective, if you're going to do that it makes more sense to do series X than IX because X would be the closest to the actor's current ages. I think there was a passing mention that BtE is set, not just after X but shortly after X.

Even if a new series IS set after BtE, it still makes sense to call it X simply because in our world we never got series IX and X (see first point.) Our continuity is different.

This meta stuff makes this confusing.

11. SimplePlan2k8

SimplePlan2k8 Third Technician

My understanding is this;

1) While we have been away, a lot has happened. Kochanski has fled/died, and the crew have matured and changed
    2) This has all happened, and there is no way of changing it
    3) Therefore, Doug is going to say, what happened is in the past. We call it Series 9, and we carry on. That way, we don't have to worry about the glaring plot holes. Great idea in my opinion

So, what of the plot holes. My theory is this.

1) Red Dwarf is destroyed beyond repair
    2) Ace Rimmer (our Rimmer) turns up and saves the ship somehow
    3) As the ship is badly destroyed, Ace programs the anti-virus to recreate the ship how he remembers it, hence why it looks like the old Dwarf
    4) The mirror thing is repaired and the crew returns
    5) Ace decides to stick with the crew, and passes the mantle of Ace to new Rimmer
    6) The nanobotic crew die somehow
    7) And then we carry on :-)

Seems a good enough explanation to me :-)