Why Red Dwarf?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Laylora, Mar 26, 2016.

1. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Kill it! Kill it with fire!

2. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Weren't you even slightly interested in the casting of younger crew members for Timeslides and The Beginning?

If they cast those roles with major speaking parts in mind, rather than guest roles - would you not be a little bit curious to see the result?

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Whilst I don't want to speak for djmcbell here, I would definitely not. The odd flashback here and there is fine IMO, but I wouldn't want to see a rebooted/reimagined series or a Young Red Dwarf type series, I wouldn't particularly want to see even a whole single episode set back in the story arc's internal history with younger actors playing the established roles. I'm really not a fan of reboots in general, I'd rather see the story arcs and characters moved forward rather than rewriting and retelling existing backstories. I'd much rather see a Red Dwarf: The Next Generation (Although the nature of the franchise would make that very difficult to convincingly pull-off) with new characters than a redone Red Dwarf from series I with new actors.

4. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

lets be honest and remind ourselves that the fan elite who post here are not representative of most people who watch RD - i doubt many of them would want the show to die with the actors as some here advocate.

I have two university degrees and i have to keep reminding online politics forums commentators that the average voter doesn't know Harriet Harman for Bugs Bunny.

5. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I certainly want to see that, and I would never want a reboot or recast at the expense of the core show. But I also want to see a Red Dwarf movie - unlikely, I know - and would like it to include an origin story with a twenty-something cast.

To me, that movie would be on a par with reading Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers. The books have their own tone, and I even started picturing the characters differently. I also enjoyed the audiobooks, where Chris Barrie gave his take on all the characters. It's just a "what if", in another medium, to complement the show. Even if the movie sucked, it would be good fodder for fan discussions.

As a point of context, in addition to examples given earlier, I enjoyed the Dad's Army movie and the new Danger Mouse cartoons. I was unimpressed by the Hobbit movies, but I'm certainly glad they made them. If nothing else, it's just interesting.

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!

7. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

For quite a while we had people on here saying that Red Dwarf was over and Series XI would never happen, so you never know. Although I agree it's very unlikely.

That there are the books out there too is another reason why I wouldn't want to see this happen personally. I don't think we need the origins story much beyond what we already have anyway (And to be honest personally every time we get another surprise reveal that a character's backstory is not as we'd thought, it detracts from it slightly IMO), but with the books being a separate continuity in their own right (Or two perhaps as Last Human is very different in tone and is slightly contradictory to the previous books) we really don't need a third/fourth reinterpretation to "compliment" the show further.

I'd also be a bit concerned that any such project might be used for more surprise reveals that sound a bit better in the writer's heads than they actually work out on screen (Pure speculation on my part though). That applies equally to a reboot/re-imagining/origins episode or series as a movie.

Maybe, unfortunately none of those have particularly interested me enough to really watch them, in spite of being a massive fan of Dangermouse as a child. Similarly the reboot of the Transformers franchise with live-action and CGI left me cold and disinterested, I've genuinely watched the original animated movie more since they've been released than all of the latest incarnations combined.

Perhaps unfairly I tend to regard the tendency towards reboot/re-imaginings as rather lazy marketing, why try and sell a movie about a spaceship and it's crew on it's own when you can call the ship Enterprise, the Captain Kirk and use "It's a reboot" to give you carte-blanche to do whatever you want and still be more or less guaranteed to get Star Trek fans into the cinemas regardless?

I don't think that's terribly relevant to be honest. Most of the people I've had exchanges with online who watched Red Dwarf thought it should have been put out of it's misery with Back To Earth and more than a few thought they shouldn't have even bothered with that. In any case, whilst I appreciate that paying too much attention to the fan's wishes is not a great idea, I don't think disregarding the views of the existing fanbase completely is a good idea either.

The average TV viewer at best is probably somewhat hazy about what Red Dwarf is to begin with, just because a lot of them probably only think of Craig Charles as Lloyd from Coronation Street doesn't mean that a recasting on Red Dwarf is necessarily a good idea or would work well.

One thing most who have seen it agree on is that the recasting of the roles for Red Dwarf USA was certainly one of the big problems with the pilot, not the only one admittedly but it's fair to say that for many they got Lister especially wrong.

8. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Why Red Dwarf?

For me, as much as I love Doctor Who too it is the way with RD that you don't just get superlative sci-fi, you also get second-to-none comedy too all in watertight scripts (except for the minority of episodes which don't have such good stories (half of series 8 ) or not such impeccable humour in some of series 7/BtE).

But yes Red Dwarf will always be my favourite TV programme ever because it is the seamless melding of the two styles of comedy and sci-fi all in one with the all time great 3 million years into deep space situation of - like others have said - the brilliantly written characters.

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Good question, and I can't explain it either, in the same way I can't explain my love of certain other shows. Certain shows just adhere to my heart in an inexplicable way - RD, of course, but also Auf Wiedersehen, Pet. These shows, for whatever reason, make my insides glow with a warm fuzzy feeling. They make me feel safe and secure.

If I had to analyse why (with RD) then the sci-fi element will always appeal to me, but it's the escapism and loneliness of their situation. Stuck three-million years into deep space, with only three other people as company, in a mining ship three miles wide and five miles long. I often imagine myself in the same situation, and how - at least initially - exciting it would be. It would be like living in a small village with a population of four. Hell, they'd never have to see each other if they didn't want to and games of hide and seek could last for months.

I just like the possibilities it offers, especially when weird sciencey things are so common aboard this particular ship; time-travel, virtual reality, exploring other planets, aliens, etc etc.

10. Laylora

Laylora First Technician

I do love a bit of Rimmer.

11. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

For me I happened across Red Dwarf III on TV and went and bought RDII on VHS the next day....... to say I was confused is an understatement. I could not fathom as to why it was in black and white!!!! I thought my video was knackered lol! (opening of Stasis Leak) but persevered, the tongue tied video on parallel universe sealed it for me as a classic. From there is spiralled I bought all tapes and all books and all magazines and then all DVDs. Probably on borderline obsessive, but it did see me though a lot of teenage years when all you need is a giggle! Got to the point where I could recite episodes without thought and sections of the books as well. Once I hit my 20s and now I am in my late 30s and I no longer obsess over like I once did but do enjoy going back to it every now and then and still enjoy it as much as I ever did.

12. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I have always watched Red Dwarf from when I was a small child. It was the first TV show I ever properly watched after Ninja Turtles, how weird is that? It started with seeing it on TV and then obsessively buying every VHS tape, including the Smeg Ups, in no particular order. Christmases and birthdays would involve a new VHS of Red Dwarf pretty consistently. It just captured my imagination more than anything else and as a kid I loved The Cat character while other jokes would just soar over my head, which meant that as I grew up I just found new things to like on repeated viewings, and still do today.

Its just something that's always been there. I'd talk about it with friends in Primary School. I honestly don't know why I started watching it, it's just always been there, all my life, and it's just as funny as it always was. Many things have come and gone but Red Dwarf has always stuck. The classic era 1-6 is just as good as it ever was, the jokes are still laugh out loud funny and I find even more to love about it as an adult.

I guess it held my attention as a kid. I find it hard to engage in anything unless it has a sense of humour or something nerdy, and Red Dwarf had both in spades. I still think the novels are some of the best works of fiction purely because they're so much fun to read. I still believe those novels could easily be adapted into a truly great Hollywood movie, I genuinely believe that's possible.

I love Red Dwarf because it's actually semi plausible sci fi in some regards. It makes sense that the future will be a little crap and mundane, and that the human race will never find intelligent life and we will pretty much just litter the cosmos full of our detritus and scientific failure. That's always been a funny outlook for me that I can really latch onto. I love the technology, which is rather prescient now - things like holograms, AI, total immersion video gaming and space mining ships etc. That's all coming true right now and making me appreciate Red Dwarf even more, like Star Trek technology left the realm of science fiction and became science fact. The fact that Red Dwarf was only joking makes it all the more brilliant. It's a humble light hearted comedy, a deep satire and a great science fiction show all in one.

It's gone through some mis-steps and rocky patches but nothing will destroy the fact that series 1-6 are just pure gold.