Why some episodes feel longer than others

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Feb 6, 2017.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I may have mentioned this before, but has anyone else encountered the strange phenomenon which causes certain episodes to feel longer than others?

The two most noticeable ones for me are Gunmen and Tikka which always feel like extended 45-50 minute episodes (I know Tikka has a laughter-free extended edition, but I own the 'just the shows' box set, so this isn't the answer). I honestly can't put my finger on what it is. It's certainly not that they drag as they're two of my all-time favourite episodes.

If I'm alone in this then it will be a very short thread, but speak up if you experience it too.

2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

These episodes probably feel longer because they take place in back-to-Earth gimmick world*. I think any prolonged stay off-ship where there are actual people around always feels like a big day out because it's a change from the norm.

*I know Gunmen uses AR as the excuse for a dress-up, so it's technically not a "back-to-Earth" episode, but same function.

3. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

I personally think it's to do with the number of ideas covered as well as the depth in which they are... such as how Can of Worms feels like I've just dozed off for half of a fifty minute episode.

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Good answers and both with some credible explanations. Some episodes just seem to pack in lots of depth, and do so without feeling rushed. I'm sure it's not by design, and more down to everything just 'coming together' in such a way.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yes, I think it's simply due to so much going on in those episodes. It's like if you’ve been extra busy or done more than usual. It can seem like a lot of time has passed, when in fact you just experienced more than usual.

6. Ecinmilo0

Ecinmilo0 Skutter

I came across the same issue.