why the canned laughter ?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by beckyw, Oct 5, 2012.

1. beckyw

beckyw Skutter

did the canned laughter annoy anyone else apart from me ??

2. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

It was a live audience, not "canned laughter".

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

No, because it wasn't canned. Yes in that it was OTT. Also You don't need to post the same thing in multiple parts of the forum.

4. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Canned laughter? I can give you 1,800 reasons to say that it wasn't canned. Last year a website crashed within seconds of the Tickets going live and they all went within 30 minutes.

5. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

I have no idea why you'd assume its canned. :roll:

6. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Try asking that question to the people who attended the live studio audience filmings.

7. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Ah, now, come on! It sounded canned, and I had to keep telling myself that I know there was definitely an audience. And it was a bit annoying.

8. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I thought the laughter sounded fine. It feels much more Dwarfy than Back To Earth did without the laughter.

9. Paul Taylor

Aye, that! Even my other half's first comments were that it was much better than "that last one".

10. newkemall

newkemall Third Technician

Looking at the sign up date of the poster I wouldnt pay too much attention to this. Dont feed the troll...

11. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

To be fair, its not just the op that has made these claims, I've seen a few people on Twitter say the same thing, in fact I was brought into a debate with someone who didnt believe there was a Studio Audience, that was interesting.

12. bedfordfalls

Calling someone a troll just because they have an opinion is a bit off.

So they got the description wrong. People can make a mistake and the general point still remains that lots of people have complained about the laughter in the first five minutes not matching the quality of the jokes in that it was way OTT and excitable for the rather average material on display.

I'm hoping its a first episode thing and that the audience calmed down a bit more for the other filmings.

13. shireknight

shireknight Third Technician

It was definitely canned, or to be more specific laughter was added or copied over into sections that didn't produce it's own laughter track, this is pretty obvious because there is people laughing at sections that are not funny -bit of a giveaway that ;-)

14. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

To be it seemed (people who worked at the show and were at set reports confirmed this) the the crowds on the night were overly excitable, I think this is no small part due to the excitement of the fact the show was back and the fact they got to be there. You need to remember that there hadn't been an audience recording made since 1998 at that point.......it was heat of the moment excitement.

15. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Maybe not funny to you, but that doesn't mean other people didn't find it funny.

I watch Red Dwarf all the time but I never laugh aloud when I'm watching it on my own, but that doesn't mean it's not funny. When I watch Red Dwarf with a group of friends I'm always laughing aloud. People are more inclined to laugh aloud when they are in a group. Plus, as has already been mentioned, the studio audience were probably excitable and just enjoying their experience so were more likely to laugh at smaller gags that might not have gotten a laugh if watching from home. The laughter was definitely not canned.

16. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I actually think the first 5 minutes sounded awful. I think it was in part to the over enthusiasm of the audience. But I also think the audio sounded wrong. Really echoey and cutting off and coming in again at the wrong place and too sharply...and just as I was starting to think I'd hate it, it went alright again.

17. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Okay, speaking as a member of the audience [for episode 2] I'm going to try to be as objective as possible here. As I mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago there were certainly some moments during the recording I attended when the audience laughter seemed a little more...holistic than one may expect in response to certain minor gags. It sounded very loud too, but to be honest a part of me figured that this may have been because I was sitting amongst it, but perhaps that was a slightly false perspective after all, to a certain degree at least.

There were however many moments when the laughter was a little more scattered and less of a seemingly collective laughter [more so, I think, as we got further into the filming]. But yes, there were moments when I found myself thinking 'hmm, that was a heck of a big laugh for such a minor gag/line'. Over all I'd say that there were possibly around four or five occasions when certain lines raised a massive, seemingly collective laughter - whereas I had simply raised a smile, rather than laughing out loud.

However, to be fair personal taste must be taken into consideration here too of course.

But for the most part I found myself laughing at a large portion of the gags, not once but through multiple takes - and yes, I was/am well aware of how much group situations can, almost subconsciously influence us at times. And thus I don't think I can be 100% certain that this didn't affect me personally until I measure my reactions when the show is aired. But I'm fairly certain my laughter was genuine and uninfluenced, otherwise I would have joined in the laughter at all times..wouldn't I?

However, I can't deny that I was certainly caught up in the whole experience, it's quite surreal to have these characters of whom I've been so emotionally invested in for around 25 years right there before my eyes. One can't help but to be at least slightly in awe of such a rare experience.

As for laughter being added to the show, or rather used in different parts of the show, a few of the peeps from G&T [who attended the recordings and the 'premier'] have said [in their instant reaction Dwarfcast] that the part where Red Dwarf was towing the Trojan ship had laughter artificially input from another area of the show.

If true [it almost definitely is, these guys tend to know their stuff when it comes to RD] then this does disappoint me a bit to be honest. Although so long as this hasn't been done for gags involving the cast then I don't see it as a major issue really. It's a bit naughty, not to mention unnecessary though, in my personal opinion.

But as I said, on the night the laughter really did sound very loud at times on the night [of ep 2], but I suppose it's possible there has been a slight bit of tinkering with the sound levels, in some shape or form - could be wrong though.

I certainly noticed a big difference in the levels of laughter upon watching part of Camille after Trojan was aired. It was much more varied - scattered, so to speak.

What can be done about this?...I don't think much can be done about it to be honest...unless Doug/Dave make it a policy for all audience members to read such books as 'The Crowd: A study of the popular Mind' by Guestave Le Bon before attending recordings..;-)

But then even if that satirical, tongue-in-cheek suggestion were to come about, it's quite possible it could have the opposite affect anyway - in the sense that (some) people would be so self-conscious they would barely laugh at all :lol:

*Ramble mode cancel*

18. Paul Taylor

Is the winking smilie meant to make the unalloyed arrogance of your reasoning evaporate?;-)

19. bedfordfalls

Rimmer: "Kryten, as your superior officer I order you to delete the first five minutes of this episode."

Kryten: "But sir, then we'll lose the setup for the moose gag and the final line of the show won't make any sense."

Rimmer: (sighs) "Then can we at least get rid of the smegging pig racing? It's not even relevant to the plot!"

Kryten: "It's not that bad, Sir, remember Argyle Summerfield? That gag went on for what felt like four ice ages and the live audience still laughed."

20. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

So why would the program makers add canned laughter to sections that are not funny? What purpose would it serve?