why the canned laughter ?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by beckyw, Oct 5, 2012.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

beckyw . Why did you feel the need to start 2 posts on the same subject? :?

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Is this you experimenting with irony?

3. simulant37

No.

4. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I misread that as-

And I wondered if I'd missed something!!

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I wouldn't mention ironing around simmy or he'll go off on one about Back to Earth again and we'll have to do a full resentment drain. :lol:

6. simulant37

:roll:

7. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Why don't you ask Doug why he added laughter to the Trojan ship towing scene? The scene wasn't funny. He added laughter..

8. simulant37

That was one of the funniest bits! The actual Red Dwarf, towing a superior vessel! Hilarious!

9. LucyLister

LucyLister Third Technician

I completely agree with this! that was hilaious

10. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

@DougRDNaylor
    Red Dwarf X was recorded in front of a LIve Studio Audience.

11. Freeborn

Yeah, "hillarious!"... :roll:

In all seriousness though I thought it was a fun model shot, But I'd hardly call it "hilarious". And I very much doubt it would've raised a laugh as big as the one artificially imposed from another area of the show. I found the gag funnier the first time I saw it to be honest...in the 80's film, 'Spaceballs' I mean.

To tell the viewers when they want them to laugh? - To (extremely easily) coerce them into believing they are finding the show funnier than it actually is?.

Generally speaking, if a laugh goes on for too long, it gets edited down ("De-sweetened", as was the case for the boxer shorts gag in Polymorph). And if a gag didn't get the desired laugh the writers thought it deserved, laughter would be added or tweaked in some shape or form.

Some shows used completely canned laughter of course - such shows as The Munsters and The Brady Bunch...as well as the show, 'Eight is Enough' - which wasn't even a sitcom, or even a comedy from what I can tell :lol:

And yes, "Sweetening" still goes on nowadays, albeit generally in much more subtle ways.

How much of this goes on in Red Dwarf? I honestly couldn't tell you at this stage. But we already know that laughter has been copied over into a section that didn't produce it's own laughter track (and not for the first time either). But apparently this doesn't concern you because you personally found the scene funny anyway...or perhaps you feel it needed it so to fit in with the rest of the show?

12. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Strangely enough, the bit of the show that many, including me, found the funniest, where Cat delivers the climax to the moose gag, the audience applaud more than laugh.

13. Cappsy

Cappsy Second Technician Fan Club Team

I don't think this is true. A laughter track works best when you're genuinely having the same reaction as the audience and it's not there to prompt (or trick) people into laughing because that's close to impossible. Take the opening few scenes from Trojan as an example: those are scenes that are, in the main, considered the weakest in the episode and also where the most complaints about the laugh track stem from.

In the case of the Trojan towing scene, I don't think the laughs were added to the model shot to make people laugh, it's probably got more to do with the fact that the audience suddenly laughing when it cuts to the crew after the model shot didn't work very well.

14. Freeborn

I disagree, sir. It's nowhere even remotely close to impossible. But I'm not gonna' go off on that tangent right now.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything else you said there however.

Fair enough. That does indeed seem highly probable in this case...Could you not have left your rationality until after Simulant37 had responded though!..;-)

15. Cappsy

Cappsy Second Technician Fan Club Team

I guess it's hard to speak for other people, but out of interest, do you think a laugh track has ever coerced *you* into thinking a show is funnier than it actually is?

16. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

Was it a moose?

17. Freeborn

See, the thing is - if it had then it's quite possible I would still be unaware of it [Although I seriously doubt I could be convinced that an entire show was funny if the humour and style wasn't to my taste in some shape or form].

Therefore my answer can only be this; No - I don't think so...but I honestly don't think I can be 100% certain either way [in the sense of individual 'gags', NOT an entire show]..

But then social experiments don't tend to be based on just one or two people's reactions..

:P

Edit: I didn't mean to fobb you off with that reply by the way. I'm willing to have this discussion in a serious manner. It's just that I tend to ramble rather a lot when delving deaper into such big topics as this - and this is a big topic! (of which is just a tiny fragment of an even bigger topic really).

I'm not sure it would go down so well here if I began discussing all the in's and out's of such deeply complex sociological issues - of which will then inevitably lead on to the uncomfortable, "controversial" and often disagreeable subject of ...'free will' (outside of environmental influence). So perhaps heading to the garbage Pod may be the way to go at this point..

*Adds this topic to the list of "Potential Blogg subjects"* :-)

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

If a scene or gag is funny then its funny, the audience helps guide the actors and but the louder or longer a audience laugh doesn't make a gag or scene MORE funny and i hope doug does know that

i'm a tad worried he picks the first take of a scene because its the most fresh laugh from the audience but hopefully im wrong

19. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

the laughter isn't what bothered me about the episode honestly, my guess it the excitement of the night seemed to be a big influence being that it's the first studio recording since 1998. It's also my understanding that they have equipment set up to record the audience laughter, maybe in the change of technology and the editing itself that makes a big difference in it.

20. blaggard

blaggard First Technician

Question for people who were at the recording of "Trojan" - was the shot of Red Dwarf towing Trojan shown during the recording? I would imagine that some of the model/cgi shots weren't available during the recording and therefore were not shown; this would mean that the producers might have felt it appropriate to add in the laugh track *for that shot* in post-production? I thought it was a fun visual gag (if not particularly original), and may have got a laugh if it had been shown during the recording of the rest of the show