Why the nanobots didn't rebuild Lister & Kochanski

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

What difference would that make to the nanobots?

Given nanobots re-arrange existing molecules, at first I thought they re-created the crew from the piles of dust we saw in The End. That would explain why Lister isn't there, but Kochanski should be. If we include the deleted scene from The End where Lister fires everyone's dust into space, then it still doesn't make sense, because while he does jettison Kochanski's ashes, he also jettisons Rimmer's and three other people's and presumably everyone's. We can assume that deleted scene did happen because the piles of dust were gone by Future Echoes.

2. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Probably answered your own question there then. They obviously didn't resurrect the crew from the piles of ashes. Some other unrevealed method was used for how they did it. And they ensured the entire population of the crew was present and correct as it would have been three million years ago... Since two members of that crew were already present when Kryten set them to work rebuilding they just resurrected all the ones that were missing.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

>What difference would that make to the nanobots?

It was revealed that while Krytens nanobots recreated the ship from the moon, the ones that resurrected the crew were synthesized by Holly*. Holly was aware of the current crewmembers of Starbug 1 so he would have programmed the nanobots to only resurrect the other crewmembers. Hence, no Kochanski.

*This is not fan theory. This is actually stated in the episode. (Thinking about it doesn't that mean there are two batches around somewhere? I think it would have made more sense to have Holly reprogram the current nanobots. If we had to have them.)

4. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

I can't remember myself, but presumably they also didn't create a duplicate starbug on-board the new red dwarf either?

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I don't know if they would have replicated that specific Starbug but there were others on board. (There are lots of Starbucks and blue midgets on Red Dwarf).

You see our Starbug fly past the giant one in the hangar bay at the end of series 7 and the start of episode Back in the Red Series 8.

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Lots of starbugs not Starbucks. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they had plenty of those as well.

I could edit the above post but in this case my phone's autocorrection amuses me.

7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

HOLLY: If I'm so stupid, explain why I was able to re-create a new set of nanobots and get them to resurrect the crew.
    DWARFERS: Eh? What?
    HOLLY: I thought you'd be pleased.
    CAT: But why?
    HOLLY: My job is to keep Dave sane. True, I'm not that good at it, but I do my best. That's why I create these little diversions to keep him occupied.

That makes more sense. I didn't get why the nanobots would care that Lister and Kochanski were on Starbug and it might be a bit awkward if they met nano-versions of themselves. If they're rebuilding (1)167 people then why would there be some supervisor-nanobot saying "now remember not to rebuild these two, because there are original versions of them on Starbug (even though one's from an alternate dimension), and when they enter Red Dwarf there'll be two and it will cause problems".

Although it's a bit annoying that Holly can suddenly create nano-bots. Why didn't he just do that in the first place in Series I. Maybe he only learned how to do it after observing Kryten's. Yes, it looks like there were actually two batches of nanobots, one controlled by Kryten and one controlled by Holly.

Do you remember what happened to the tiny-nano-Red-Dwarf they were chasing, is that still around?

8. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Yeah that always bothered me. Not resurrecting the original Kochanski didn't make much sense even at the time.