Why was my Backwards vid rated 15?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jmc2000, Apr 9, 2011.

1. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

2. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Its the under age sex reference in marooned I believe. Thats why there is a part added to the ending of that episode on the dvd so it could be re-rated.

3. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

I thought it was the story in 'Marooned' about how people were going to eat Rimmer.

4. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

If I recall the DVD correctly, it turned out to be the warning in the beginning of Polymorph. Hence it's disappearance from remastered & the hidden DVD chapter easter egg.

5. supercat

supercat Console Officer

I always thought it was the T-word in Polymorph making it a 15. I remember watching it when I was little and my dad telling me I mustn't repeat it. I have always regarded the T-word and the F-word to be on a parr with one another in terms of offence/strength as far as swear words go.

Don't agree with the re-rating of the DVD to a 12. Despite being allowed to watch the show myself when I was little, I dont really agree with allowing a 12 year old to hear the T-word. And yes, I know they probably hear it all, and much worse at school... still doesn't make it right.

6. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Personally I don't find it in the slightest way offensive, and rank it among terms like "bloody" and "bugger" and "crap" and the like, or terms that I classify as "Why the hell do people consider this swearing?" Each to their own.

Although hearing worse at school at 12 years old? Most of the 5/6 year olds down my way tell you to "f" off if you try to get them to get out of the car park where they are happily kicking footballs against the cars with no regard for the owners (this while you are trying to park your own car in one of the spaces). 12 years old is nothing these days, especially down this crappy part of the world. A shame, but not a whole lot that can be done about it, shy of going on a killing spree around the town.

A man can dream I guess...

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It must be something that happened in Marooned, not Polymorph, since the extra few seconds added onto the end of Marooned are there to get the episode reclassified as a 12.

I also think that Cloud is probably correct about it being the reference to Lister having underaged sex.

8. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

What are these extra few seconds added onto Marooned? I don't recall this, but then again my old videos are long since lost in the dark depths of the loft or been stolen and disposed off by a parent on a wild cleaning rampage in my youth so I've got no reference.

And I remember reading somewhere or watching on one of the various docs on the DVDs that everyone thought the 15 cert was for Polymorph because they put that "warning" at the beginning, as a lot of people didn't realise it was intended as a joke, or as a nod toward some film or other (can't remember exactly off the top of my head, but I have Alien floating about on the surface).

And JMC, it wasn't actually a question, just one of those sub-classifications of thoughts, for instance creating a mental list of reasons for "Why do I continue to hang around with this guy in spite of the fact he is a total pillock?" for a friend of mine. And yes, he does have some redeeming qualities I should point out, we just keep struggling to work out what they are...

Still an interesting issue though of what constitutes crass language. Some words just sound rather unpleasant when you say them, but I guess that is based on the accepted understanding on the term and it's associated meanings.

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It appears after the closing titles of the version of Marooned that appears on the series 3 DVD released in 2003 (I don't know if it appears on the subsequent DVD releases). It's just a few seconds of the crashed Starbug lying in the snow.

Actually I just found a Youtube video that includes the scene. Just skip to about 8:55.

10. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

A few seconds of crashed Starbug earns it a lower classification? I hope I've missed something, as that makes no sense at all.

11. supercat

supercat Console Officer

My point exactly, but I still don't think it's right. At school, as a teacher, I'm not prepared to ignore swearing from children just because '12 years old is northing these days'. It's remarks like that which make children think it is ok, and makes parents think it's ok to do it infront of their children. Ooooooh this debate could make me very cross! :-)

I blame the parents! ;-)

12. supercat

supercat Console Officer

I think... THINK that they were only allowed to reclassify it if there was a change to the originally classified episode. So just adding that little bit to the end allowed them to submit it for reclassification... am I right? Someone will correct me, no doubt :-)

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, you're right.

The 12 certificate didn't exist for home media until 2002, so the VHS release in the 90s earned a 15 certificate.

14. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Ah, sorry, forgot to include something: I don't think it's right these kids are swearing worse than I do! I agree completely that they shouldn't be doing it, but at the end of the day you can't stop the exposure any longer. It's up to the parents and such forth to point out that it's not okay to use these terms they hear, and of course to not swear in front of their kids as you rightly say. My niece has come out with the odd foul word occasionally, but only ever once as she learns she shouldn't (and let's face it, we all wind up with the odd slip of the tongue occasionally when they are in earshot, even if we try not to).

The point is that you mentioned 12 year olds and they have been cursing something rotten for many years before getting there. Although I must admit, back when I was 12 I already knew a vast variety of crude terms, but I had the respect not to use them around the parents or other figures of authority and such forth. Back in those days we found it funny when it was just us lot together, but we never thought to use them outside of that scenario.

And with regards to the reclassifying, all makes sense now, cheers :-D

15. supercat

supercat Console Officer

The worst is when parents do it at their children. Those little angels don't have a chance, do they? *sigh*

16. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

You've obviously never met the little.... round my way then. Although yeah, a parent shouldn't be swearing at their child, at least not while they are still a child. Once they're all grown up, it's all fair game!

17. supercat

supercat Console Officer

LOL. I shout at my parents if they swear. I remind them that they never did when I was little, and these things need not change :-)
    Although I am known for the odd bloody, bugger and chuff :-D

18. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

You never use anything stronger? Wow. You should watch me play a computer game one day that's winding me up, you'll probably learn some new terms! Although you'd shout yourself hoarse having a go at me.

Things like "bugger", "bloody", "sod" and even your favourite from Polymorph which normally I'd have no reservation about using, I've been using them all my life because I was never raised to treat them as swearing. I remember once my father tried to have a go at me for using "bloody". I was 17, and told him to smeg off.

19. supercat

supercat Console Officer

LOL. I'm far from goody goody. When out with friends I swear... but not overly. It depends on the social situation and the context. Not into swearing evey other word in normal conversation, that winds me up no end. I think I prob use the S-word more than any other (usually video games are involved), but not when I'm with my family. I save my chuffs and bloodys for that!! Bloody chuff! Hahaha... oooh I hope this debate doesn't lead to another telling off from Andy :s

20. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Keep calling him Andy and it might! I seem to recall him saying once he doesn't like being called that.

Oddly enough I find the s-word gets used the least in general conversation with the lads, and even less when playing games. A bit of imagination and you can string other terms together to make some wonderful curses. Although failing that just picking your favourites and shouting them at the screen helps (it didn't help my housemate back at university who was kept awake at 1am by me trying to beat Ares in God of War!)

Got to agree though, swearing for the sake of swearing is very annoying. That friend I continue to wonder why I haven't yet killed does that a lot, and it can really lower the tone of a conversation or make a joke seem crude. Even the ones that are already crude seem low when he does it!