Why was my Backwards vid rated 15?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jmc2000, Apr 9, 2011.

1. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

i had heard that the last seconds of starbug crashed in the snow was an easter egg of the model shot, nothing to do with ratings

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, it's an Easter egg, but it was added to the episode to get the 15 certificate lowered to 12.

3. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Ooooh don't tell me that! I'll do it all the more! :-D

4. thecogre

how can a 3 second shot of a model of starbug lower a rating?

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Didn't you read the thread?

Back when the episode appeared on VHS the 12 certificate didn't exist, so it was rated 15. In 2002 a year before Marooned appeared on DVD, the 12 certificate became available for home media. The British Board of Film Classification will only alter a rating if the episode changes in some way, so the model shot was added to the end of the episode to get its rating reconsidered.

6. thecogre

i read the thread, but i don't understand how not changing content of the episode and adding a model shot at the end can lower the rating.

7. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Because it is a change, though insignificant, it meant the episode could be reclassified by TODAY'S standards as opposed to those in 1990/1 (well, today's standards by 2003 standards when it was released), where it was only deemed 12 and not 15. I am guessing there is something that states you cannot just arbitrarily get reclassified, something has to be changed first, and that tiny little add-on is what did it. Thus it remains the only easter egg to be attached to an episode instead of found through the menus.

8. supercat

supercat Console Officer

*refuses to explain again*

9. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Hasty DJ reply:

Marooned got the 15. Yes, for the underage reference. Yes, the extra clip allowed the show to be reclassified.

Polymorph is a PG. The warning at the start is a jokey one, shown on broadcast. And the 'T word' carried no BBFC concerns because it is the verb form, not the noun, and when originally classified there was far less sensitivity about it. The perspective - especially as something bodily - is a relatively new one.

10. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

So why are the new Just The Show DVDs a 12 when the VHSes were PG?

11. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Well I had nothing to do with those DVDs, but I suspect an error at 2entertain. Since the JTS box sets and previous full series releases were all 12s someone must have assumed the show certs were all the same...

12. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

It's part of it, but not the whole - among other examples, Cat uses the S-word in Emohawk. It's as a specific reference rather than an exclamation, it's the only instance in 55 episodes, etc.

Oh, indeed. Sorry, I meant "the BBFC's perspective" mostly, and the verb form which is massively less 'physical' than the noun. Clumsily answered from outside the main DJ hall while Craig and Danny were on stage!

That makes sense, though I wouldn't be surprised if that changed given the rise in its cultural prominence. Some have got a great deal more squeamish about it. (Part of which, I think, is arguably sexist. That the female anatomy is granted a greater extreme than the male implies a stronger disregard and/or a larger unwillingness to discuss/be comfortable with it.) Huge research points, too.

13. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I remember being surprised when I realised Cat had used this word...especially given the whole invention of "Smeg" as a futuristic alternative to most swearwords (although obviously not suitable for replacement in this instance) and the general avoidance of the main swear words that the show had taken.

Do you know if there was much discussion at the time about its inclusion...it did feel sort of out of place.

14. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I don't, but I doubt there was. The show's had no problem with, say, 'bastard' in the past, and as a PG word it wouldn't have presented much cause for concern. Especially, as you say, because it's not used as a swear word. "Does mouse poop roll" would have stuck out even further.

Still, I'm with you, I think the line's conspicuous. But the guys always worried about funny first.

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The only instance of swearing in Red Dwarf that surprised me was this line uttered by the television shop assistant in Back To Earth:

"Science fiction. It's all a bit bollocks really, isn't it?"

It seemed a bit crude for Red Dwarf.

I don't mind swearing in Red Dwarf (or comedy in general) so long as it's used well, rather than to get an easy laugh. Another example that I disliked, and that also sounded really crude to me, was Rimmer in White Hole:

"Yes, but Rimmer Directive 271 states just as clearly: No chance you metal bastard."

There was a much better and funnier use of the same word by Rimmer in Timeslides:

"It's my duty. My duty as a complete and utter bastard."

16. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I found both Rimmer lines really funny, It most likely has to do with Chris Barries timing and delivery that makes them so funny.
    He also uses the same B word when they find the garbage pod and is telling lister how important his discovery is, as lister walks away Rimmer simply shouts "Bastard" so so so funny.

17. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I don't find it an especially crude word, but I do find it a funny one. Either way, though, I think it's a perfect choice for the situation - an 'outside Red Dwarf' world where real (albeit still very PG) swearing happens. It feels different, 'other', and that fits the story and tone being aimed for.

18. thecogre

what about the cat's line at the end of emohawk? "suck my thermos" when i finally heard that one i was floored

19. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

Also the subject of a court case in the 1970s after complaints about the Sex Pistols album "Never mind the Bollocks" which had its title plastered across the 12 inch sleeve. It was ruled to be perfectly acceptable as it was widely used to mean nonsense.