Why with Dave

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RedMidget, Mar 8, 2009.

1. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

God I remember that line well, the scumbags, as if they can pick and choose their audience.

I only watch the BBC when absolutely necessary (ie whenever football is on..!)

2. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I do agree with what you say, the only issue I have is that Red Dwarf is a hugely popular BBC show. The most succsesful BBC2 show ever I think, with a large fanbase. The BBC puts on loads of poor sitcoms which don't even grab that many viewers, and don't last more than a couple of series, it seems incredible that they won't put on a classic that is likely to do pretty well. Can't they even put this on BBC3? Red Dwarf deserves more viewers than a channel like Dave can provide, at least on a BBC freeview channel the publicity would be greater. If I hadn't checked in on this website, I wouldn't even know it was coming back.

3. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

TBH I think the 50% is owned by BBC Worldwide too, I think they're at a bit of an arms length away from the real beeb, as they're a commercial company.

But at least with someone like BBC Worldwide on board it probably does help in terms of getting into familliar worldwide markets, budget, and things like that.

4. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

The BBC's interest in Red Dwarf is dead, Dave. It's dead, Dave. You're going to have to make Red Dwarf yourselves, Dave. Their interest is dead, Dave.

I hate it when public-supported television becomes "tasteful". That's what this sounds like. It's the kiss of death to creativity.

5. Ace990

Ace990 Skutter

:crying:What a shame it is not on terrestrial TV. Must confess to never having heard of Dave, but then, we can't get digital TV (or radio for that matter) They are turning off our analogue signal here in Devon on May 6th, so I hope Back to Earth comes out on DVD fairly soon, otherwise . . . stuffed!

6. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

You can easily get Freeview for the Devon & Cornwell area can't you?

7. Ace990

Ace990 Skutter

Only with a digi signal, as I understand it, so, no would be the answer.

8. angelajohnson

angelajohnson Third Technician

The BBC must be praised for its original risk in taking up RD, if you ask me. And I'm perfectly happy for it to be made by groovy, funky channel Dave! So long as it gets shown who cares?! "Pork away!!!!" Hahaha, love Kryten without guilt.

9. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

Uhh..

Just buy a freeview box. They're as cheap as £15 from Argos.

Hook up the aerial from your wall socket into the freeview box, and the scart cable from the box into your TV. And voila - you have 40+ new digital channels, including Dave.

10. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

It's possible the freeview signal will be too poor in some areas until digital switchover. Freesat is a good alternative here if you can afford to install it.

11. Ronstar

Ronstar Third Technician

To paraphrase Yes Minister:

"If by 'we' you mean the BBC, yes it would be nice to have a new series of Red Dwarf. If by 'we' you mean you and I, then we need a new series of Red Dwarf like an aperture in the cranial cavity".

Ronnie

12. Ronstar

Ronstar Third Technician

To be honest, until you pointed it out it never struck me that would be a likely scenario. After all, with bringing back other shows, like Only Fools, there was a garanteed win, no matter whatever the quality, or with Doctor Who you could equally argue "It's failed three times before so if it fails again it's no our fault". Red Dwarf is the only really risky one there ~(to an individual commissioner) due to the perceived cult-status and the previous record-breaking figures - it was too successful for its own good!

Ronnie

13. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

So If the BBC is not involved, who is making the DVD? Hope the cover matches with the theme of the others

14. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

2entertain are doing the DVD. Who used to be BBC Worldwide. It's still all the same people doing the DVD.

15. RossPK

RossPK Third Technician

Hmmm, I can't see that the reason why it's not on BBC 2 is because it's so good, if that's the case why're the BBC still making Doctor Who which I'm guessing seems to be a really big success?

16. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

With two million viewers on the first episode, no doubt.

17. dynamostia

dynamostia Third Technician

perhaps the beeb saw it and realised how awful it was. I dont live in the UK anymore.. what is with this 'Dave' channel? A station called 'Dave'? I have obviously been out of the country too long to understand this complete nonsense.