why

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RozzaI, May 8, 2010.

1. RozzaI

RozzaI Third Technician

room 169,corridor 59,A deck,Red dwarf,DeepSpace
    in terrorform they gave starbug caterpillar tracks which have not been used before or since why not just use blue midget as it always had them
    yours confused dwarfer

2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I can't remember, but I don't think they knew they would need them when they went to the psi-moon. That aside, sometimes the plot allows the writers to just invent something on the fly. It seems fairly clear that Blue Midget had been effectively retired by this time, as Starbug had taken over it's role for almost all purposes.

3. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

The guys dropped Blue Midget after Series III, so to bring it back would have meant building a new set as well as having the FX team refurbish the Midget model. So there's a cost issue. Plus the Midget was never any good as a set for having long, walk-around chats in - there would have been no practical space for Kryten to take Lister and Cat aside, in private, and hatch a plan to make Rimmer feel better.

4. pole85

pole85 First Technician

I never understood why they used the caterpillar tracks then used the boat why not just fly the entire way?

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Sooner or later it makes sense to leave the ship and go on foot or in a smaller vehicle/boat. Particularly considering it seemed a swampy/forest terrain. a) you can't see everything when your in the ship, and b) you can get into places you wouldn't in a ship.

6. pole85

pole85 First Technician

fair enough but why the caterpillar tracks

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

they proberly just wanted to do something new, i mean could say the same about why starbug under water

8. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Seeing as the planet seemed to consist mainly of swamps and forests, it's likely there weren't exactly an abundance of places they could land. Plus, if they came and parked Starbug right on top of the enemies camp then they'd loose the element of surprise. Best for them to take their 'getaway car' (Starbug) as close to the enemy camp as possible then quietly infiltrate the camp in the boat.