Will it be on in the United States?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Wackd1, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Wackd1

Wackd1 Skutter

Specifically, New York?

I hope that, at the very least, you can see it online or something. I'm a huge Dwarf fan, and to not be able to see these new specials would be torture.

I know Robert Llewellyn has confirmed that the specials will be on various public access stations, but I can't seem to find it anywhere...

A little help, please? Thanks in advance!

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Red Dwarf has always been shown on PBS in the US. I'd say this was very likely to be the case again. When we know when, it'll be on reddwarf.co.uk.

3. bentleyma

bentleyma Skutter

The Frequently Asked Questions section says this...

"Showings will also take place on various overseas channels, including PBS in America."

4. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

Alright, so I did some calling.

WVIZ (PBS Cleveland station:-( No, we won't be showing it.
    ME: Can I request you carry it?
    THEM: It's not even in our system as an option to buy...so if we do carry it, it won't be THIS year."
    ME: Have you ever carried Red Dwarf in the past?
    THEM: No, we have NOT carried RED DWARF in the past."

Western Reserve (PBS Kent, Ohio Station:-( I'm not seeing 'Red Dwarf: Back to Earth' in our system...I see 'Red Dwarf', but we haven't carried it for a LONG time.
    ME: They just made new specials after 10 years of not having any new shows.
    THEM: Well I can look into requesting it and send you a post card if and when we do carry it.
    ME: Ok, great.

I also called WGTE Toledo and it doesn't sound like they're carrying it either

:-(

5. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Like I said - it's likely to be on PBS again. But when we know when, it'll be on the website. What you've just proved is that it isn't on PBS yet. Which is fair enough, since it hasn't been reported to be on there on the site.

6. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

that's cool Andrew. I wasn't trying to disprove you or anything. Just like u said, it's not there yet.

7. psychobillygirl

psychobillygirl Skutter

I'm sending an email to wtvs (detroit public tv) to see if they're planning on airing it, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I'm dying to see it.

8. Ronstar

Ronstar Third Technician

Whilst I don't condone pirating of any kind, for overseas Dwarfers who are too desperate, I would be very surprised if the special don't end up all over the internet within minutes of airing. Commentary about modern day social ethics omitted! :-)

Ronnie

9. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

Red Dwarf has never, ever been shown on US public television in Chicago. I have had to record it from Milwaukee wisconsin.

10. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

The problem with PBS is that it is not just one channel like a cable channel, each market has its own local PBS station and their schedules can vary VASTLY. Even if the Dwarf specials become available as an option for them to carry, not all of them will pick it up. I rather suspect broadcast of the dwarf specials will be very spotty and regional AT BEST and limited only to those which aired the original Red Dwarf in the past, which is really only a handful of them.

I really think it won't be until a region 1 DVD is released that the majority of American dwarf fans ever get a chance to see it, PBS or not.

11. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

I have just noticed its out on DVD in June!
    http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/dvd/Red-Dwarf-Back-To-Earth/1093019.htm
    So maybe if it isn't shown in the US you can get a dvd of it from one of these sites or eBay?

12. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I guess we should ask the question - how did fans of the show in America find it in the first place? I've always assumed it was mostly on PBS, since it's still showing even now in some areas and hit massive numbers of stations at its peak with Series VIII. But maybe it was all DVDs and naughty downloads.

However you saw it last time, I guess, assume that's how you'll see it this time!

And yeah, the DVD's on its way to the UK on June 15th, as revealed here.

13. lob337

lob337 Third Technician

I'm sure a lot like me - are expats and grew up on red dwarf and are equally gutted about not being able to see it when it airs. I've also contacted most of the pbs stations in the tri-state area - and most have never even heard of it - those that have said it hasnt aired in ages and there is currently no plans to pick up back to earth or even rerun older episodes. My best guess is it will be out on DVD before PBS picks it up. Like me your best plan b is to nag your other half about how its a good investment to get plane tickets back home - just to watch the red dwarf specials over the weekend - then jump a plane back. Bit of a hard sell in the current recession tho.

14. roebeet

roebeet Third Technician

The Internet, of course! Long time fan, and finally a forum poster - I found Red Dwarf years ago via a questionably legal fashion that I won't go into detail about. But I've since purchased the DVD's, so I feel better about myself. I'll almost certainly buy this new DVD when it comes out, so I'm hoping out friends in the UK will help us poor chaps out after it airs, this weekend.

15. telegramsam

I found it on PBS because the one in Atlanta USED to show it. They don't anymore and haven't in several years. I don't think the one here in Nashville has ever shown it if the fact that NOBODY in this town has heard of it is any indication, and I know the one in Knoxville never has because my friend's mother has lived there over 20 years and said they have never shown it when I asked if they got it there. Like I said, PBS stations are all a bit different, you don't get the same shows everywhere and they change their lineups over time. Very few PBS stations are currently showing it which is why I doubt many are going to pick up the specials. Until the R1 DVD is released most american fans will probably not see it.

16. telegramsam

From PBS' website:

As you can see it is an optional thing for individual stations to pick up a non-PBS program or not. I suppose people can look up the contact for their local member station and pester them about showing it but that doesn't guarantee it will be aired.

To clarify something I think is being misunderstood: There is no single television channel called "PBS" like there is "CNN" or "MTV" or other national cable channels - it's a network like fox or NBC and there are individual, largely independent local stations, and the local programming is even more flexible for PBS member stations than for commercial networks.

17. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    I doubt that PBS Detroit is ever going to show it again. :-( Buying DVDS are out of the question for me since that costs money, money that I don't have for spending on entertainment and being on dial up, watching it online will as well be out of the question on a ligate legal web site. :crying:
    My only hope is that maybe either BBCA will eventually show it or the SCIFI channel. I can get that, thanks to my parents.
    Sigh......... So unfair.

18. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Once the show has aired in the UK, the success will likely drive interest from PBS stations around the US taking the repeats again as well as the new shows. But these things take time.

19. nottinghamp

nottinghamp Skutter

So what are the odds of a Region 1 DVD released for your friends in the Colonies?

Paul the Britcomaniac

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Considering all the other DVD sets have been released in the States (I think) I think the chances are pretty good.