Will series 4 - 8 ever be re-mastered?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ant E, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

I hope so innnnnit!!

If not, why not! it did well sales wise - just too many people moaned!

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I doubt it ever will. Lets face it, if there was any remastering to be done, the remastereds could be remastered nowadays!

I actually don't think the others really need to be. 2-6 relied a lot on model shots which can't really be improved on much since they're actually physical objects. Some of the CGI in VII was a bit ropey mind you, what with that blurring thing supposed to portray speed, but it wasn't that bad. I actually found some of it quite amusing (i.e. teh bit when the bug was bouncing around in the comet's tail for example.) In short it added to the comedy, even if that wasn't the intention. Rimmer and the croc spring to mind too, (for bad affects, that wasn't CGI) but wasn't that whole sequence brilliant?

As for VIII, while the CGI certainly wasn't BtE standard, it was mostly pretty good and did the job.

So no, they don't need to. That being said, I'm curious what they'd come up with if they did.

3. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Series IV was actually meant to be originally, but it just never came to pass. It was all a part of selling it to the worldwide audience though, if my memory serves me correctly, and as Dwarf is now already pretty much worldwide, it's no longer a necessity for it to happen.

4. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    It's weird really, I watched the remasters recently and they actually look worse now than the originals!

The problem is that CGI is constantly evolving and improving so something produced just a mere three years ago actually looks incredibly dated. (Check out any Peter Gabriel video from the 90s and you'll see what I mean!) A decade has passed since the remastering and the new effects are looking decidedly ropey.

This is why the model shots always look fresh, because you cannot improve reality!

So, in my opinion, any more remastering would be a mistake. Sure, it may look fantastic for a while but ironically it will actually shorten the shelf-life of the series!

On the other hand, you could just reshoot the model shots using more sophisticated modern techniques. That I certainly wouldn't mind, especially for the pretty lame Series 7 CGI sequences.

5. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

The only remastering that they needed was the stuff they did for the DVD's - i.e. dusted it down and gave it a clean to make it look nice.

6. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

I doubt there'll be any further re-mastering, considering the reception of the series I-III ones!! I can still remember hoping for VHS releases of remastered IV-VI - I wanted to see that picture on the spines carry on!!

7. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Yeah, some of it was incredibly crappy, some of it was good. When some of it. Well, one episode...maybe.

The far shots of the Red Dwarf looked good, because you can't see the flat objects.

If they had used the actual physical models they made for the remastering, built a Starbug, and only used CGI for Blue Midget walking, the remastering would've looked incredibly awesome. And please, no seeing through Lister's head in MAROONED. That was worse than the Skutters in THE END.
    -

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

I say, let me do the remastering. I am doing one for THANKS FOR THE MEMORY, keeping the original model shots, and just doing some extra stuff like color grading to help the picture and adding some CGI effects just to imporve the look of some of the shots, such as adding a rocket flare to Blue Midget's glowing jet. I also have made a completley new shot of Blue Midget: I drew a circle mask around it, increased ther feather, and stuck it over another shot I made. I took an awesome starfield, and stuck a still of the original Red Dwarf over it with yet more masking.

Yes, I'm just showing off at this point. Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

Sorry for the cartoony look of the flare and the horrible interlacing. I haven't rendered it uncompressed yet.

8. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

Tidy screenshot there. Very much a mix of the styles of the late 80's and late 90's model shots.

As for 'thanks for the memory remastered' i thought the memory effect on Rimmer's flashback was good but the black box recording probably should have camera info and stayed monochrome. Just a thought.

9. Darko

Darko Skutter

Leave them alone. There is no need to do this as the re-masters of 1-3 actually detract from the originals. Everything, including RD, has a time and a place. The main thing is whether the story/comedy/performances hold up, not the effects.

10. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Acutally, I'm just doing it for fun, not trying to destory the orginal.

I'm only doing one episode, anyway.

Sorry if I've offended you! :eek:ops:

And besides, one of the major reasons I'm doing this is to re-enstate deleted scenes to improve the episode.