Will the live show be canon?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by naranja, Dec 17, 2017.

1. naranja

naranja Skutter

im just thinking it would be great if the live show was done well enough it could be released on dvd as part of the continuing story of red dwarf. Obviously you’d release a version with no live Smeg Ups which take you out of the story. If they were in limited sets with simple effects and make it “talky”, then it could seem like a feature length version of the show to rewatch at home.

2. Underdunn

Underdunn Supply Officer

I'd be stunned if it wasn't released on DVD to be honest. Wouldn't pin any hopes of it being canon though.

FeeBee likes this.
  3. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

First ,let me congratulate you on your 5th post! 5 years a member and 5 post's, careful now...... don't want to over exert yourself! :-D I'm joking of course, but feel free to hop on in anytime, its always nice to see a fresh face 8-).

Well, this is directed at both of you and many others too. I STILL cannot "get" the enthusiasm for this "live show". TO ME all it will do is delay indefinitely any new series of Red Dwarf from happening. Is there REALLY that much money and/or Prestige involved in this "event"?

Lets be brutally honest here ......... the cast is not getting any younger you know, and after another year or two of waiting on this live thing to happen, just how much are they going to have left in them? Again, brutal honesty here but look at Craig's acting in XI and XII. XII especially. He's not really acting at all anymore, just mugging for the camera and going through the motions. "David Lister" as a character has seen his involvement/lead position in R.D. (not so)gradually diminished over the last couple of series. And I have to feel Mr. Charles's enthusiasm and affinity for "Dave" is either waning or he's just getting too old to care anymore. How much more true will this be in another two or three years?

Anyway, that's the end of my rant. Oh, and if this freaking live thing is this freaking important to the Cast and to Doug then why on earth would it NOT be "canon"?

naranja and FeeBee like this.
  4. Underdunn

Underdunn Supply Officer

I'd hazard a guess that if Dave offered them another two series right now, they wouldn't say "No, piss off we're doing a live show". I suspect they already know and expect there to be a bit of gap before (and if) it ever does get recommissioned. So I'd just take it as something they fancy doing in the meantime that they all probably think might be good fun; rather than being something that's delaying a new series and is all about money and/or prestige.

Benidorms doing something similar at the moment. They also had their last two series commissioned back to back. They also know there wont be another commission until at least 2019. They've also taken it upon themselves to put a stage-show together as a stop-gap.

Just something to do, innit? *shrugs*

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Hopefully its nothing like BTE where doug uses the forth wall as a story point.

FeeBee likes this.
  6. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

hopefully it will be like the Bottom Live shows, those were great (well, most of them were)

plus doing it like Bottom Live would allow them to mess up their lines and yet still keep going

naranja and Pembers like this.
  7. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I hope that whatever they do gets a DVD release because it is something that I would purchase since I have no chance to ever see a live show.

Pembers likes this.
  8. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

I really want to see the live show. It would be the bestest gift to my 18th birthday, which are in January 2019.