Worries about the new series X.........

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mrbob2, Jun 19, 2011.

1. mrbob2

mrbob2 Skutter

Hiya, ive been a fan of red dwarf since the 1st episode way back in the good old days. I love the show and its THE best show ever produced. I love it! but... when the old/new series was on dave a few years ago i was so happy, that something was happening in the world of red dwarf. After watching the show(s) i was unfortunately saddened. There was no live audience which took away a LOT of the greatness of the show for me, its like micheal mcintires commedy roadshow/live at the appollo but with no audience, sure his jokes are still funny but its not the same without an audience being there :-)

As for budget etc, that doesnt concern me. In red dwarf 1 the sets were made of cardboard and wobbled but it didnt matter, you still felt you were on board an old ship in the middle of nowhere. The most IMPORTANT thing the new series X has to get right is the storylines. The old red dwarf classic episodes were about taking an idea and having a "what if" moment, with backwards, timeslides,tikka to ride so many to mention but they all make you think.

One problem for me is red dwarfs humour is very 90s, black ribbed knoblers and curry and farting, its not reeeeallly that funny anymore, to continue with those sorts of jokes will make it feel old and re treading old ground, yet craig charles and the gang are no longer young men in real life, so instead of being young guys on a spaceship, its more like the cast of top gear driving sports cars, they know they arnt real racing drivers and they are old men, so they play on that and its funny.

Dont get me wrong, i love red dwarf soo much but do you think that a new series will just be a let down? too many comparisons with old shows and you just know series x wont be as good.

Its also a shame it wont be on the bbc. even bbc3 would have been a good channel but even though DAVE is my fave channel, i still dont see it being as popular/mainstream as bbc would have been and of course, adverts! arghrgrh

I havent watched the end of series 8 for years but im sure it ended with rimmer kicking death in the nuts and working out how to save the ship as as far as im aware the crew are dead? SURELY series X cant simply continue with everyone sat on a beach having fun and saying yeah life on earth is great! I dont think the older series needed continuation as they never really ended with such a cliff hanger. The posibilities and ideas we all could create are infinite for a new series, so many funny gags and theres no reason why it couldnt be a classic. Technology has come on soo much in the last 20 years from visual effects to studio sets etc. For many years american companies were churing out scifi space serieses every month with great effects like you would expect from star wars.

I dont know if its happened before but have any of the cast ever hinted at what they would like to happen in a new series plotlines etc?

Fingers crossed im totally wrong and its an amazing new series

smoke me a kipper, il be back for breakfast! :-)

2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Don't worry! Last night I used my time machine to go forward a couple of years. Red Dwarf X will be hailed as the beginning of a great new era of television comedy-drama, surpassing all that has been before, and even all of the old fans will be happy with it!:-D

Just in case you don't believe me, you're not alone in your fears. Doug Naylor has stated a preference for a studio audience. Of course, no-one can predict your liking for any new plots. But I'd still rather watch the weakest episodes of Red Dwarf than most of modern television. At least new science-fiction comedy is on its way from someone who has a proven track record. It could be worse. It could be a new series of Hyperdive.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

to be fair the 90s were big on british sitcoms and red dwarf was pehaps something very different in that field, but now it will struggle to find its feet

one of the biggest mistakes this show had to be taking about a dozen years to make a new series, like they did with series 6 to 7, and then 8 to BTE, and then pretty much again with BTE to Red dwarf X which we wont see till 2012

4. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

Hyperdrive was SO BAD. SO SO SO SO BAD. *cries*

5. mrbob2

mrbob2 Skutter

Thanks guys, thing is, i love ALL episodes of red dwarf :-) I can honestly say some are totally amazing like back to reality, others are just amazing lol One thing i did notice was the characters (actors) in series 8 did visibly look fatter and older than previous series, when you watch series 1 and 2 chris and craig look about 21 years old. Then when you watch series 8 their old men with a paunch and red puffy faces. Like craigs interview on youtube on absolute radio, he said your not sure if you are to play lister as a 20 something space dude or act your age basically as you now look 45 odd and your joints are as felxible lol No idea how the new series will play out but if it is a classic, i hope theres a series XI :-) and more lol

I do however think it deserves mainstream treatment, at least bbc3 as no other series has had so many episodes, span so much time and still making episodes as of now. There is simpsons but thats not real ;-)

6. Paul Taylor

There, there. It's gone now. It won't be back again.

7. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I said I'd never bother with new red dwarf stuff again after the trip down coronation street. I have given it chance after chance but after 3 very poor attempts, I don't think they can capture that old magic of 1-5 and even 6 to some extent.... yet here I am again.

8. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

I think that in some ways, Doug is in a nice position to write the new series...

For Series VII, Chris was obviously absent for long periods and Doug had been told by the money men that he should consider including a girl in order to get funding for the movie. There should be much more freedom in deciding which characters should be used from now on and, I trust, Kochanski will appear seldom if at all.

Plus, while using CGI may not be that popular, it means that the crew shouldn't be forced to stay on any particular ship (as they were in VI and VII).

And as Doug wanted to get to 52 episodes he decided to make VII and VIII 8 part series which did them no favours. Hopefully a 6 part series should be easier to keep control of.

The age of the characters is relevant and they couldn't be written in same way that they were. But Doug's not an idiot and there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to deal with that problem.

9. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I don't think your comparison is 100% succesful but I can see what you are getting at. In my view the filmic feel of Back to Earth and the darker storyline very much suited it not having an audience or having laughter added later. I think the bigger problem with some of the jokes falling flat was down to Doug trying to write sitcommy bits in a story that really didn't suit them. When the audience isn't there then it doesn't make a lot of sense for the crew to be cracking gags and puns about making squids pay their dry cleaning bills.

They wern't and they didn't but never mind...

I certainly hope that the new episodes will take that less is more mantra when it comes to ideas. A return to the scetch show format of latter series 8 would not be appreciated.

This is a good point and one that the show does need to address. I've said it before on here but for his character to work we have to emote and feel for Lister...but not pity him...or worse thing "what a sad git" when viewing him. BtE did a tremendous job of making us do the former with that wonderful ending but I have to say that watching the deleted "jammy dodger" scene moved closer towards the latter territory for me. Have others joke about Lister's cruder desires by all means but try and keep the character himself slightly more pure and wistful in his fantasy. A sleazy middle aged man is not someone I want to root for.

I'm not sure why you think that would happen. You are aware that BTE was set AFTER series 8, yes? Why would the crew suddenly be on Earth?

Doug has hinted during private chats at conventions. If you want to spoil these possible plans then listen to the podcasts at Ganymede and Titan. Without giving anything away they sound more like the sorts of stories we had back in series 1 and 2, which for me is a good thing.

I havn't heard that interview and I suspect he was joking because otherwise it's rather odd to hear that an actor hasn't been given any direction as to how to play his character. If Craig really does wonder if he's supposed to be playing Lister as a twenty something then its just plain worrying. :shock:

10. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

The fact that the cast are now older adds another dimension to the characters. The crew are already useless and incompetent, now they are old, useless and incompetent.

11. danatblair

danatblair Third Technician

While I basically agree, I did really enjoy the Lister of Back To Earth. The loneliness and strain of being the only human in the galaxy added some depth to him. I can't imagine spending 20 years just killing time; waiting for the moment humanity becomes extinct. His younger self doesn't really process this fact. He was like a kid whose parents are on holiday. He runs around eating curry and expecting his situation to magically improve someday. Only after waiting for his someday for 2 decades does it begin to sink in-- he is (mostly) the last.

Lister is the perfect metaphor for humanity. We have amazing potential, which is largely squandered on petty matters. Our world is filled with harsh realities, and yet we insist on striving for a better life.

And to the topic I have mostly strayed from, I am a little worried about the quality of the new series. Still, it felt good to have new Red Dwarf with BTE. It will feel good to have more with X. I hope to enjoy it, as soon as it actually shows up in America.

12. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Red dwarf is a really good show though

13. StitchiMonsta

StitchiMonsta Skutter

Hi All,
    I'm new and this is my 1st ever post on this forum - WOOOHOOOO!!!

I'm not really phased about the live audience being their or not, though i feel that the live audience being left off Back to earth was a good move as i felt it highlighted the quantum theory and reality concepts that it explored - keeping in mind they travelled to our world theoretically anyway. I do suppose it could have been used before and after their illusive dimension travel though, that could have been a nice effect.

With Red Dwarf X i hope we see more of Kochanski and Lister's love story development, thought i read somewhere that we will see more about The Boys Of The Dwarf's family life which would be amusing and i also slighty hope for some more talkie toaster.

Can anyone tell me whether series X comes after back to earth, i read somewhere (can't remember once again where) that Red Dwarf X happens after back to earth even though in the actual film of Back to earth Lister says it comes after series X.
    hope someone can clear this one up for me.:eek:ops:

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

From what I understand, the new series will be Series X and it will come after Back to Earth. (Don't let the comments concerning series 9 and 10 in BtE confuse you. This is a different reality, where the series continued on after series VIII, unlike our world. A clue, if you like that the Earth they travelled to is not actually our world after all.)

15. StitchiMonsta

StitchiMonsta Skutter

Ahhh ofcourse a clue, good point! Thanks for clearing that up!! :-)

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Ugh. I just noticed my typo* in that post. Corrected.

*Incidentally, who came up with the word 'typo' to mean a typing error? I suppose it sounds better than a 'typee' and 'typer'. I'd think that last one is a person who types, but it's not a word apparently.

17. Paul Taylor

'Typist' is a person who types. Yet a person who reads a typist's work is not a 'readist'.

18. Paul Taylor

Yet if they are racing on bikes, they are cyclists. But they are never bikists.

19. RebelWabbit

RebelWabbit Second Technician

Well, my most concerned issue... is that there may not be laughing tracks... that was probably indeed the most important feel of red dwarf, it made it so it was more of a friendly show. Dead silence and jokes usually create dead humor for me, sometimes because I'm not paying attention enough and I don't even laugh. Maybe this stuff will still be around, if it is... then I salute the new Dwarf... ;D