Worst ep of each series?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jmc2000, May 29, 2016.

1. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

See if this one tickles your collective fancy! Mine are:

- Balance of Power (the script just doesn't seem as funny as the rest)

- Parallel Universe (tough pick because it's a consistently strong series - but this one just feels a bit "grubby")

- Bodyswap (again a tough pick - there's just something "icky" about Rimmer's reaction to having a body)

- DNA (I like it, but the resolution of the monster-of-the-week feels quite silly, even by the established standards of the show)

- Terrorform (a good episode, but the "least good" in a superb run of stories)

- Psirens (the first time the monster-of-the-week format felt slightly tired to me... I feel like other episodes do a better job with similar ideas)

- Duct Soup (this and Blue feel a bit nothing-muchy, but at least Blue has the hilarious "Rimmer Experience" set piece)

- Pete part 2 (self-explanatory)

- BTE part 2 (just because it was the hardest to watch the first time round, when it felt like shark-jumping)

- Dear Dave (the most nothing-muchy episode of RDX)

2. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Balance of power is one of my favourite episodes, sir

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

- Waiting For God (It's not that bad I guess, but feels like 2 stories stuck together that weren't strong enough to sustain a whole episode)

- Parallel Universe (Has it's funny moments, but it really does a botch job on the theme of sexism and dear good Arlene Rimmer)

- Timeslides (It's decent but it's the episode in series 3 that feels a little uneven)

- Meltdown (First episode of the show that I strongly dislike, pretty unfunny across the board)

- Terrorform (Like said above, it's a good episode....just the "least good" of a great series)

- Emohawk: Polmorph II (Worst episode of the show's glory years.....honestly it's little more then just a trade in of past glories and a weak one at that)

- Ouroboros (This episode was a mess and as an introduction to "Kochanski 2 Electric Boogaloo" it really did her no favours, also this episode features Kryten at his very worst)

- Pete part 2 (Not only is this the worst episode of Red Dwarf but one of the worst moments in television, nothing here is the Red Dwarf we know and love)

- BTE part 1 (While nowhere as bad as some of series 8, this might be the single most flat and stale episode of the show)

- Dear Dave (A couple funny jokes doesn't disguise this one from being the messy Frankenstein's mosnter of an episode it truly is, it's pretty damn bad)

4. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Waiting for God
    Better than Life
    Polymorph
    DNA
    Demons & Angels
    Emohawk II
    Duct Soup
    Krytie TV
    Part 1
    Entangled

5. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

Isn't Polymorph the one that got the complaint from the ostrich parent that didn't want her daughter knowing what a clitoris was?

6. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

There are literally no RD episodes I dislike so this wasn't an easy exercise.

Waiting for God
    Kryten
    The Last Day
    Meltdown
    The Inquisitor
    Rimmerworld
    Ouroboros
    Only the Good...
    Part 1
    Entangled

7. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Wow - three out of three named Waiting for God their first series pick.

Why's it unpopular? It's one of my favourites!

EDIT: I'm also a bit surprised to see Back to Earth: part 1 on everyone's lists.

8. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Apologies for the poor layout, here are my choices!

I. Confidence and Paranoia - I love all of series I and would put this episode above many later ones, but I don't love the guest performances here - for me they dispel the wonderful air of desolation that runs through the first series.

II. Parallel Universe - The hardest choice of all as I consider this the most consistent series. I don't find this episode particularly sexist as I have heard said, just rather dated in its satirical targets (it definitely wouldn't be written like this now). Anyway, the Dog is what relegates it for me.

III. Backwards - It's a one trick pony.

IV. Meltdown - I think the show works best when it shows Rimmer being a git but also portrays him in a sympathetic light - you feel sorry for him even while he's being a git. Here he is just unpleasant and out of character.

V. The Inquisitor - Again, quite an even series so a difficult choice. I used to love the complexity of this episode but now I've seen it a billion times it kind of loses its impact. And it's not as funny as some of the others from V.

VI. Emohawk: Polymorph II - Seems quite a lazy rehash of old ideas and I really don't like the reappearance of Dwayne and Ace.

VII. Nanarchy - The only part of this episode that I enjoyed - seeing the ship and Holly again - is ruined by the knowledge of what their reappearance heralds.

VIII. Only the Good - I could have chosen any from this series (except maybe 'Cassandra') but this episode lingers long in the memory, and not in a good way. I also hate the audience clapping over the end credits like it's a 70s sitcom.

IX. Back to Earth Part 2 - Not keen on the 'Pricesmashers' scenes or the bit with the kids on the bus.

X. Entangled - I really liked this on broadcast, but it doesn't stand up as well to repeat viewings (the ending is quite tedious after you're seen it once).

Wow, that took longer than I expected but it kept me occupied on an otherwise boring, rainy afternoon :-D

9. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Well I can only speak for myself, and personally...I love almost everything about it. The early characterisation of Lister is perhaps among the best in the early series', the cat's back-story is great and the religious stuff is brilliant.

I particularly liked the historical notion of the facts about Lister becoming so distorted and him being made out to be so different to who he is, and the claims about him saying things he never said. Which most likely holds an element of truth in all real-life religions (including Buddhism) in that numerous different popular schools and sects have clearly strayed quite far from the original core teachings. And of course some of the interpretations of the original teachings may not be entirely accurate either given the style and context in which they were presented and initially passed on via word-of-mouth. So yeah, I liked that Rob and Doug took such concepts to the satirical extent they did. :-)

I also like seeing the cat and Lister wandering through the depths of the ship. I'd love to see more of that kind of thing as I felt they managed to create a great atmosphere on such a small budget. At that point I could really believe that the ship was so vast in scale.

And then there's the garbage Pod sub-plot which is most entertaining.

So why did I chose it as my least favourite? Truth is that as I sit here trying to analyse my reasons I'm struggling to justify my decision. But I chose it mostly because I love the whole of series 1 and just feel that this is ever so slightly less impressive than the others. And I can't help but feel that it could've perhaps been better if given a bigger budget and a slightly longer running time.

But with that said, the only scene I'm not massively keen on is the one with the old Cat priest. I've nothing against the actor's performance - I think he did a great job - but for me something just feels a bit 'off' those scenes, or to put it another way something seems to be lacking. And the giant sausage felt, to me, like it took the silliness a tad too far...although I don't feel as strongly about that as I used to.

And last but not least, I would've liked to have seen Lister discover other remnants of the cat civilisation. Actually, the more I think about this it seems my main criticisms are less about what is shown in the episode and more about what we don't get to see. Which probably wouldn't win any debate contests - especially given some of the wonderfully vivid descriptions of the lifestyle and culture of the cat people - but this subjectively bias amateur fan analysis is what it is and I had to choose an episode from a great series! :-)

10. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I wholeheartedly agree with all this - which is why it's one of my contenders for number one ep of the series! In fact, it's a close thing between WFG and C&P. The cat religion stuff is such a major part of the show's mythology, and I think they handled it very well. If I was putting together a playlist of key plot episodes, it would definitely be among them.

On reflection, I wonder if my least favourite episode is The End, and it just didn't occur to me to pick it - because it's so fundamental to the story?

11. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Controversial!

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I wouldn't say so. It's my choice for S5 too. I just can't abide the performances of the Lowes.

I can't be arsed clarifying my reasons, but here's my list:

S1: Waiting for God
    S2: Kryten
    S3: Polymorph
    S4: Justice
    S5: Demons & Angels
    S6: Out of Time
    S7: Epideme
    S8: Pete, part 1
    S9: Part 1
    S10: N/A

13. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

This is incredibly difficult for the first six series, since I find pretty much every single episode to be infinitely-rewatchably classic.

I can't actually do it.

Poor Waiting For God. That episode gets no love it seems, but I love it to bits. I love the way Cat goes back to the old, dying, disabled Cat and goes "Feed me". I still laugh out loud at that.

Every episode has some sort of character insight or a great bit of world building or some great model set piece.

It's much, much easier picking favourite episodes. I'm out.

14. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Why is series 10 "n/a" as you put it?

15. Ant E

S1 Waiting for God
    S2 Parallel Universe (such a stupid episode with those pink skutters ugh)
    S3 Backwards - the most overrated series of the lot. Hate it all bar Timeslides and Marooned.
    S4 Dimension Jump - never got the obsession with this ep. Think the effects of this series have aged badly also.
    S5 Holoship - if series 5 was made now there's no way Holoship would be a series opener!
    S6 Polymorph 2 - first half is fun, but made for a fans and not that funny. Rushed ending.
    S7 Beyond a joke - yawns. Robert, don't give up your day job!
    S8 Pete part 2 - painfully bad. CGI is crap also.
    S9 Back to Earth part 2 (that Manchester accent thingy wasn't funny) but works well watched as directors cut. Massively underrated episodes.
    S10 Dear Dave - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Believe me, I really didn't want to pick anything from the first two series. Let's just say my first two choices are the episodes which I love a little bit less than the others.

In actual fact that applies to all my choices.

Because I don't recall anything about them (I remember something about Jesus in one of them, but that's it, and even that wasn't funny). If you put a loaded gun to my head and told me to name two episodes from Series X, I honestly couldn't do it. I've only watched them the once (their original broadcast) and even then I think I stopped around episode 3 or 4.

17. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I like WFG a lot, it's just that I like all of The End, Future Echoes, BoP, C&P and Me2 more than it!

Same reason Better than Life, which is a classic in many ways (despite the production compromises), is my weakest from S2.

And similarly, I think Part 1 is the weakest of BTE. I still quite like it, but I really love parts 2 and 3.

18. Ant E

Oh how edgy! :roll:

19. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

You know, I tried answering this one, I really did, but there was quite a lot where I was thinking "I quite like that episode, but it's not as good as the others in that series". So, remembering that, here is my list:

1 - Balance Of Power
    2 - Thanks For The Memories
    3 - Bodyswap
    4 - Camille
    5 - Holoship
    6 - Polymorph II - Emohawk (the first on my list that I actually think deserves to be)
    7 - Beyond A Joke (also, I was tempted to just put "Oh God there's so many to choose from" for series 7)
    8 - Pete part 2 (again, see series 7)
    BTE - part 2 (not as much stuff happening in it as parts 1 or 3)
    X - Dear Dave (though again, I still like the episode, but not as much as the others in RDX)

20. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Waiting for God was hardly the worst of my list of least favourites, but it was also the episode that maybe feel least sure of itself in the entire sure. Season 1 of Red Dwarf feels not as confident as most later seasons would and I feel it show most in Waiting for God.....with that said it's maybe the episode that feels the most like the characters are alone in a vast mostly empty ship, and to me that earns the episode some points.