Worst ep of each series?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jmc2000, May 29, 2016.

1. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Hmm, yeah I can definitely see why WFG is among your favourites. And tbh part of me feels I should perhaps recognider my choice. But I don't know what I'd change it too. The End is a possibility, although as you say it's such an important part of the back-story. But it's another episode which would probably have benefited from a bigger budget, if only for a few scenes. Although I think they did a great job with what they had.

And I always appreciated the bold notion of killing off so many characters half way through the first episode. I still sometimes find myself wondering what my reaction would've been had it been my first RD experience.

2. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

This is what I love most about 'Waiting for God' these days. It was the one episode of Series I that I used to find a bit unsettling to watch - I found it didn't have the 'comforting' feeling of the other episodes in the series. Perhaps it's because the audience reactions are quite muted throughout, but I find I notice the background hum of the ship's engines here more than in any other episode (particularly as Lister goes deeper into the cargo decks) and this creates a bleak, almost eerie atmosphere. The subject matter itself - being alone in a godless universe - adds to this sense of unease and isolation.

Agree. WFG may not be the comic high point of the series nor of Red Dwarf as a whole, but it's certainly important in terms of the show's legacy. A lot of important groundwork is laid here and throughout the first series in general - the intelligence and attention to detail that Rob and Doug invested in these early shows is what, for me, raises RD above the level of other sitcoms.

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

What's that ridiculous remark supposed to mean?

4. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Just feels like you're being negative towards series X for the sake of it.
    "Something about Jesus"?! :roll:

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Nothing of the sort. I genuinely don't recall anything about the series. As for the Jesus comment, again that's honestly how I remember it. There was a scene in a market, and Jesus was there, but beyond that I can't tell you anything about it.

I might be passionate about my dislike for series X, but there's nowt wrong with that, is there?

6. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Well there is if you haven't actually watched it!!

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I watched a few of them, and probably had the others on through pure loyalty, even if they weren't holding my attention. I saw and absorbed enough to pass my own judgement.

8. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I'm going to get such a spank.....! :shock:

9. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Kinky!:twisted:

10. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Series 1 - none I find weaker than the others.
    Series 2 - ditto.
    Series 3 - same.
    Series 4 - None particularly weak again.
    Series 5 - Terrorform. I have a similar opinion to another poster in this thread - it's an excellent episode still but it is slightly weaker than the rest in one of the very top Red Dwarf series IMHO.
    Series 6 - Love them all. By a tiny bit my favourite RD series.
    Series 7 - Ouroboros. Strangely this was one of my favourite episodes in series 7 on initial broadcast but now I feel it is the most awkward of all of them back in 1997 with its primitive slapstick, lack of wit, disastrous loss of Rimmer and the slightly creepy Lister being his own dad with his love interest being his mum plot. Obviously better than the terrible half of series 8 but still pretty bad.
    Series 8 - Pete Part 2 - easily the worst Red Dwarf episode ever for me IMHO!
    BtE - N/A because I only watch it in its director's cut form.
    Series 10 - Dear Dave - still an above average Red Dwarf that harks back to series 1/2 with some of the funniest comedy in the whole of the 2012 run but some dreadful rubbish half of series 8-like humour too.

11. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Though I prefer series 10's Lemons slightly more than Waiting for God for its plot and as a religious satire, that series 1 episode is easily a very good, quality episode of Red Dwarf with a lot of excellent comedy.

12. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Confidence and Paranoia
    Parallel Universe
    Polymorph
    Camille
    Terroform - I like all the episodes in this series so was hard to choose
    Emohawk
    Ouroboros
    Pete Part 2 - If it didn't have the stupid bird turning nto a dinosaur I would like this episode
    BTE Part 1
    Lemons