Worst series overall ?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Kyleooooh, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Kyleooooh

Kyleooooh Skutter

The worst Red Dwarf series overall ? which one made you chuckle less than any other series.My vote has to be for series 8 just didn't feel like the Red Dwarf i know and love , too many characters , humour far too childish (considering i'm extremely childish it must be bad if i complain".The plots were too thin on Sci-fi and the perfect balance found in the first 7 series was completely thrown out of the window.

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

7,8 & BtE = total sitcom abortion! :evil:

3. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Well, you're going to have to either spank me or call me a sadist, but I like all the episodes. No worst series.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think most of us would agree that 8 is the weakest. I still love it, however.

Does Back To Earth count as as series? If so, that would be another contender.

5. simulant37

So they are all the same? :?

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

We might as well, I think.

Series 8 is probably my worst series as well, but I don't dislike it either. Parts of BtE would be a contender for me, but there were also parts which I thought were up there as the best of Red Dwarf. I'm talking about good and bad stuff that happens within the course of one episode too!

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Episode 1 I thought was great. But things started to go very, very bad in episode 2, and it didn't get much better in 3.

Having said that, I've recently been thinking about giving the series another watch. I've a feeling it might grow on me a bit.

8. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Just so long as you don't count me as 'most'. I have a lot of time for series VIII

The choice is very simple as far as I can see; series X was/is just awful. So bad, in fact, that as far as I'm concerned the RD comeback began and ended with BTE.

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

You'd certainly be in a minority. I do find it surprising that you like 8 and 9 better than 10. It has its flaws, but 10 to me felt much more 'classic era' than the pantomime-esque 8 and the metafictional weirdness of 9.

10. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

If I was to use an average mark for each series based on the episodes I would say series 8 is the weakest even though there is the odd gem hidden within series 8 walls.

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

for me series 8 is the unforgivable worst series

12. simulant37

They are very well hidden!

13. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Series 4 used to be very low on my list, possibly my least favourite at one time. The reason being that [at the time] I felt it focused a little too much on Kryten. But then was then, my views have changed somewhat since.

As I've said before, before I joined this forum I had no idea how much series 8 was seemingly hated by some, and was genuinely quite surprised. I think it's a shame it doesn't get the appreciation I feel it deserves.

However, as much as I will defend series 8 on many levels it does currently hold the position of my least favourite series. But that certainly doesn't mean I don't like it by any means. I still find it very enjoyable and rewatchable. But it does have somewhat of a different feel to it over all.

BTE is very different too, but I don't personally count that as a series, but a one-off celebratory anniversary special.

While it was of course initially aired as a mini-series, even Doug has gone on record saying he feels it should've been shown as a one-off extended episode. He's also very clearly stated that BTE is not series 9.*

Anyway, I enjoyed BTE, but in a sense it kind of felt like Red Dwarf from another dimension or something. But as with series 8 I'm very much able to enjoy it for what it is - for me they both have the rewatchability factor.

*Source:

"You haven't seen Red Dwarf series 9 - there isn't a series 9. Back To Earth isn't series 9, it's Back To Earth. The clue is that it would be called 'Red Dwarf series 9' if we were going to call it Red Dwarf series 9. But it was called 'Red Dwarf Back To Earth." ~ Doug Naylor "A Bit Of A Chat with Ken Plume"

14. BadWolf117

BadWolf117 Second Technician

Series VII, VII and BTE (IX)

Series 7 Sucked for
    * Having Terrible CGI replacing the models
    * Getting rid of Rimmer earlier on instead of having him for the 4 episodes
    * Replacing Claire Grogan for Chloe Annette (who despite being attractive and nice in real life- her Kochanksi was so dull)
    * Getting rid of the studio audience
    * The Continuity Mess of Tikka to Ride

Series 8 sucked for
    * The Humour was terrible- very juvvinille
    * The CGI Red Dwarf new model is Fugly
    * Replacing all the model shots with CGI
    * Bringing back the crew therefore destroying the whole purpose the show was made for- i.e: Lister as the last human
    * pratically reducing Holly's charater to just being plain stupid instead of him actually making a contribution to the show
    * The CGI Blue Midget dance
    * The Cliffhanger of Only the good which basically we had to wait a decade to find out what happened next

Back To Earth (aka Series 9) sucked as:
    * The Story was so self-indulgent that any non-fans couldnt enjoy it
    * The kids on the bus were a bit annoying
    * The Whole Meta "we are a tv series" really isnt original
    * The Ending basically means that Doug recycled Back to Reality
    * Corrie and The Carbug
    * The CGI skutter..id rather see the glove puppett version from Series 2 instead of that

Dont get me wrong i enjoyed some bits of Back To Earth (The CGI Red Dwarf that looks like the one in Series 1-7) and partically all the scenes in Red Dwarf before the dimension cutter make for good entertainment

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

But surely Clare Grogan couldn't have played Kochanski in 7? She was half decent when playing her in the occasional scene, but I can't imagine she could have played the character for a full episode without being monumentally awful. Chloe Annette isn't the best actress in the world, but she was the right actress for the series 7 Kochanski.

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Oh, I accept that, Bluey. For me Series X feels the least like Red Dwarf. The writing isn't as good, the characters have changed too much (and I don't physically) and the acting feels 'off'. Someone here, in the early stages of its initial airing, said the whole look of it - lighting, sets, camera work, not to mention the laughter (not canned, I know, but it certainly sounds it) - reminded him of one of these crap, early morning US kid's sitcoms you find on ITV on a Saturday morning, and I've never forgotten that.

Also, it wasn't until I caught an episode of X recently (after weeks of watching the original 1-8 series) that I noticed how different Kryten's mask is. I've said this elsewhere on the forum, but if it wasn't for Llewellyn's very distinct voice, it could be anyone under that make-up.

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I do wonder what went so wrong with the making of the masks this time round. There's a picture of Robert wearing his Kryten outfit on the front of my updated Man in the Rubber Mask book, and it really does look odd. It looks like Kryten's got a load of bags under his eyes, and the mouth is just ugly. As many others have mentioned, there's also a distinct Freddy Krueger look about it. Was it a different team working on it for series X?

18. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

To me series 8 was bad but BTE was a huge shambles. If BTE was the very first RD I had ever seen then I would never have watched any RD ever again. On the other hand if I had been introduced to RD with any single episode from 1-6 and quite a lot of 7 then I would have made a point of watching the rest.

19. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I think there's a fair chance.

You see the fact that Dave are handling this is, for me, a major part of the problem. Yes, as a RD fan I should be grateful they agreed to pick it up where the BBC wouldn't, but as a network they just don't have the clout and expertise the BBC do. If the BBC had agreed to resurrect this show, there isn't a cat in hell's chance it would have turned out like the series Dave produced. Unless of course it was destined for BBC THREE.

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

If we're talking about quality of the comedy then bear in mind Series 8 was produced by the BBC, and that is disliked by many fans. In fact many see Series X as a major step up from that. (Not that Series X is on good in a comparative sense. It felt a bit different to classic Dwarf to me, but I thought it was pretty good on it's own merits.)

If we're talking about production design (which seems to be the case since the last posts have been about Kryten's new face) Series X, under Dave, is amongst the best it's ever been. Sure people had problems with the new look of Kryten, and I can understand why, although I think people tend to blow it out of proportion. (I do think he looked better in the recent Geek Week broadcasts though.) The new sets and models though were lovely. Realy good.

Some of the whooshy craft stuff looked a little dodgy (Simulant ship sequence aside, that was very good) but then so did some of the effects in Classic Dwarf*, although the majority of it looked fine.

*That two dimensional looking probe that warps up to Star Bug in Emohawk, and the slightly weird looking sequence when the bug shoots the simulant ship in Gunmen, for examples.