Worst series overall ?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Kyleooooh, Aug 13, 2013.

1. BadWolf117

BadWolf117 Second Technician

The Model effects in Series Ten are a mixed bag

the shots with Starbug were fantastically done in Trojan except when it approaches Red Dwarf which basically looks like a cardboard cutout instead of a moving model- why they didnt film it moving and then bluescreened Starbug approaching it like in the old days is beyond me?

the main issue i had is the red dwarf model they had it look like a 2D drawing and while im glad that its not a long pencil i wish they could have someone recreate the original especially for the end of the ship with the long lightbulb end (i really hate the circular thrusters)

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I get what you mean about that Starbug shot.

I liked the new model though. I'd liked to have seen more of it. Hopefully next series.

3. Kyleooooh

Kyleooooh Skutter

The model shots in The Beginning are absolutely stunning !

4. Carrie TORDFC

Carrie TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

I think Series VII lost a lot of the main thrust of 'Dwarf with the loss of Rimmer. The central part of the show is two people who don't get on, and I think the absence was very noticeable. Obviously that was Chris's choice to leave but it left a big hole!

I must admit to having a soft spot for Series VIII but I have to regard it as very much separate to the 'classic' 'Dwarf. It feels far too much like a 'BBC mainstream sitcom' rather than the gritty, grungy Dwarf of IV-VI.

BTE suffered from its own creative evolution. It was never DESIGNED to be a three-parter. If I remember rightly, Doug was originally asked to write little skits that slotted in between clips - effectively a 'best of' show - and it spawned from there. A product created in a rush is never going to be at its best. It has some wonderful moments, but has poor pacing and the jokes are few and far between.

Series X was very much a win with me. It took on all the elements from past series and re-formed it into something new. A very clever move. I'm so glad that Doug didn't attempt to recreate the 'past', but instead used it to carve out a new look.