Would Dwarf be better if the crew were old?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by shireknight, Apr 22, 2013.

1. shireknight

shireknight Third Technician

One of the things I didn't like about series X is that the cast look older because they are older right however the scripts for series X are clearly written for the crew to act exactly the same way they always have done, in fact if anything the scripts are more in tune for the crew to act more like they did in series 3 when they were much younger.

However someone pointed out in another thread that the original Star Trek cast went on to make their films well into retirement and in fact rather than pretend they were still young the scripts for those films embraced the fact that the cast (and characters) were old and personally I think those films are better for it.

So what about the Dwarf crew then, we've seen them as kids, we've seen them as OAP's, we've seen alternative universe versions of them, hell of all the programmes on TV the Red Dwarf crew are the most diverse characters there are so why are they still being written as young people when they clearly aren't?

Do you think series XI could be all the better if the scripts jump forward a couple of decades and are set to take their real life ages into account?

2. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

if they were to add a little maturity to it, the odd moment of immaturity would be hilarious, however currently I feel it sits on the edge of cringe worthy, being so well written and red dwarf it gets away with it that's why I say " on the edge", but would maturity detract from the comedy somewhat?

3. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

I talked about this in a previous post, I said: Aging could be used to the shows advantage: Cat getting upset with the thought of aging, thinking comments that have nothing to do with him are a snide remark at him getting older - not wanting to acknowledge some clothes are to young for him etc. Lister thinking he wasted his life on the ship, until he realises that he was better off then others as he had quite an adventurous life etc. Rimmer could have decided to age with the rest so he wouldn't feel left out and Kryten might now display signs of robotic ageing - the way computers do.

4. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Rimmer's way to shallow to purposefully age himself to feel part of the group, more likely he'd go on about the benefits of being dead and not aging. And Kryten has been around for 3 million years, I hardly think after twenty he'd start caring about age.

5. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Kryten could become computer senile, though, like Holly did after many years.
    And there should be a reason why Rimmer is ageing, - as he is in real life :-)

6. jetflock

jetflock Skutter

Kryten WAS senile. That is why he was still caring for three skeletons.

7. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I can't say I agree with this assertion at all. It's a recurring theme of the series, and of Dear Dave in particular, that Lister is now well into his 40s and has been stuck meandering around space for fully half of his life. The scripts absolutely take the actors' ages into account.

8. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

They are alone drifting in deep space, I would imagine for that reason alone the characters would have less inhibitions then people just living their everyday lives, I mean they no longer have a society other then themselves and the odd character they run into to fully interact with. Honestly that is something that actually works in Red Dwarf's favour, maturity comes from experiences much of which the Dwarfer's have been deprived......they aren't trying to act grown up, they are just trying to stay sane.

9. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

That is the difference between a sitcom & drama. In sitcoms characters are a particular type with little room for growth because the comedy often derives from the predicted character responses.

10. dodgebizkit

This depends - if the writer can keep it fresh and develop the characters and the comedy, it's much better than laughing because you know he's going to say "I am the only gay in the village" again.

11. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Perhaps the creators of red dwarf should have thought of this before they made series 1 and made it a cartoon :roll:

12. simulant37

No.

13. dodgebizkit

:arrow:
    YES!!!!!! :x:x:x:x:x:x:roll:

OK, no :-)

Or... Maybe... :shock:

A separate but equally canon animated series would be nice, or CGI - but not to replace the original.:idea:

14. Diet_coke

Or comics! Ooh comics! Not a bad idea! My idea! Red dwarf comics (C) Harry

15. simulant37

Already been done. . .:roll:

[​IMG]

16. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

This says it perfectly, they have no reason to be more mature. I'd like to think that when I'm older I stay just as immature as I am now :P

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Seb's right. Series X does take the characters ages into account, particularly in Lister's case.

I actually think they are (a bit) more mature! Possibly not as mature as we imagine they should be, but that's often the case with people in the real world as well, depending on their experiences.

I've come to the rather uncomfortable realisation that I'm middle aged now. In my head I'm far closer to my twenties than forties though. Then again I don't have those extra fetters, I mean, blessings* like a wife and kids and my own house/flat like many men my age do.

*I'm just kidding. Sort of. (I originally intended that to be strike-through text but this site apparently doesn't support that.) Suffice to say these are good, but I have a certain freedom nonetheless.

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

series X had alot of stories about fathers or being a father, at least 3 and i wonder what dougs got at the back of his mind when doing these storys,obviously father related, a pregnant kochaski maybe? making lister a father...

not sure if that would suck or not

19. simulant37

He got issues, daddy didn't love him. . .:roll:

20. Diet_coke

Can't forget they have gotten old but also most likely a tad senile?