would it be a spoiler if...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by DAN_JMC, Dec 22, 2011.

1. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

..Someone who went to filming gave their opinion on whether the show was any good or not? I mean come on, just let us know if the writing is any better than the last couple of series, whether the jokes are funny, whether the plot was good or the feel was more like the good old days.No plot details, or spoilers, just "I liked it, it was funny" or "ahhh it was painful"

pleeeeeeeasssssse :-)

2. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

I take it you havent read the on set reports?

3. LucyLister

LucyLister Third Technician

it was brilliant! defo more classic dwarf-like

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

http://www.ganymede.tv/indepth/red-dwarf-x-episode-1-set-report#comment

5. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Do you mean in the news section? That appeared after I posted this thread, so good timing I guess! Didn't see any reports on the forum.. maybe I'm not so good on my vision these days :lol:

6. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

ahhhhhhhh thankyou! Looks promising! :-D

7. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

Not to go into too much detail, I just came home from tonights recording and can say I enjoyed it very much, I think it was amazing!

8. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

In all honesty I don't believe it matters if people come away from the recordings saying it's the greatest show of all time. As has been noted before, very few of the audience for series 8 came away saying negative things about it, yet some of the same people now recognise how flawed those episodes are outside of the feelgood factor of being a living breathing part of the show.

I'm taking everything with a large pinch of salt before I see it myself and it's one of the reasons I wasn't particularly bothered about being an audience member. It might well be brilliant but it might also be the case that it won't translate into as much fun on television. It's worth pointing out that for all the praise Ganymede are giving it there are also liberal sprinklings of concern over some aspects of the writing.

9. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Its a new series after a huge gap in production, of course some people are going to be overly sycophantic about it and only post the positives, whereas others will just hunker in the negative corner and will never come out even if the new series is a Bafta-winning success with high viewing figures and 100% positive reviews.

Most people I've already been talking to about it are already preparing negative opinions even though I'd just told them the series was coming back in the sentence before they began their ire.
    Conversations about how every sitcom that has gone away for a while then come back are always terrible begin and no-one is willing to give the series a chance.

Good luck, Red Dwarf Ten, you have a whole wave of negativity against you and no-one has seen more than a few distant shots of a bit of a red door...

10. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Apart, of course, from those of us who've seen one or both of the new episodes being filmed, and thus know exactly how good they are.

11. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

This :-)

12. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

Agreed, got to say last nights episode is probably in my top ten episodes already! :-)

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

the fear is that from the studio audiance point of view being involved in the hype and excitment of seeing the cast, as well as seeing them smeg up and mess around during takes that they might see it totally differently to what a tv audiance will

14. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Very true, but I had to get some opinions. I will reserve judgement for when I get to see a show, but hopefully it will be as good as people are saying.

15. Murray

Murray Second Technician

As has been said, it's unlikely that you'd get an unbiased opinion. The people who go to the recordings are both involved in the recording process (which provides a natural excitement which makes everything seem better, as is my experience with show recordings) and are also all huge Red Dwarf fans.

No way to know until they're aired. Though the fact that the witty gags haven't been present in anything that Naylor's written by himself doesn't bode well for it being laugh-out-loud funny.

16. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

While it's true that being part of a large group of people will always make you physically laugh more, I don't think it's fair to suggest that the people at the recording can't make an informed judgement about the quality of the script. There are undoubtedly instances where I'll have laughed more than I would have done sitting watching it at home - but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have found the jokes funny when sitting watching it at home.

I mean, you're perfectly welcome not to believe us, particularly due to the "series VIII effect" that has been mentioned by so many people. But there are a lot of us who, coming from a more informed position than you (i.e. having actually seen it) know that the scripts and performances are of a good standard with a good pure "gag" count in comparison to some earlier series.

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

can only hope

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Am I the only one who isn't particularly bothered whether the new series is funny or not? So long as the gags aren't so bad that they mar the whole thing (as in the more recent few series) I really don't care. I'm more interested in whether the plots, characterisation and acting are up to a high standard. To me these elements have always been the show's strong points.

I can never understand people who place so much importance on Red Dwarf's comedy. Surely you're not all just excited about the new series because you're hoping to have a good laugh? If it's just laugher you're looking for why not try another series? After all there are plenty of funnier shows out there than Red Dwarf.

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i enjoy the storys alot and always liked the fact red dwarf made sci fi fun

but i do like clever witty humour that you can sit there and think that was really clever, i mean when something is trying to hard to be funny ( series 8 ) it is abit of a put off

20. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Now I'm just confused. Wasn't Red Dwarf originally marketed as a sitcom? Surely the funnies are as much a factor as anything else? Of course I care about the quality of the plots, characterisation and acting. But also, equal amongst these three, is the quality of the jokes? I don't care how good the plots, characterisation and acting are. Without the humour too, it won't work.

That said, I attended the last recording and I don't think the quality of the humour will be an issue.....but am no expert.

My overall and spoiler free opinion can be found HERE.