Would Rob Grant ever come back?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Jennifer2009, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Jennifer2009

Jennifer2009 Skutter

I read he has said that if he were to write again, he would want to use 4 brand new characters, is this true? If so, why? Why did he leave, and would he ever come back to write do you think?

2. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I don't think he'd ever come back, purely because his vision would no doubt be drastically different to where Doug's has gone.

I'm pretty sure the two are alright with each other now, as Bodysnatcher proved, the two even wrote the end of the Bodysnatcher script. I just don't think Rob would feel the inspiration or inclination to start writing something that he isn't ammused by nor been involved in for so long.

It'd be too hard and depressing for him no doubt.

3. Spm_V1

Spm_V1 Third Technician

I noticed recently that in Robs book "Fat", under his previous works he doesn't mention the red dwarf novels he has written.

Clearly he has moved on :crying:

4. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

But why did they split up? I think it was detrimental to both their telly careers. Has anyone seen The Strangerers? Rob Grant's sci-fi comedy about aliens stranded on earth. It was pretty average.

5. Spm_V1

Spm_V1 Third Technician

Rumors were that they fell out over the direction of series 7...

But if i remember right the interview i saw with Rob said he simply wanted to move on and do something else creatively. He felt the show had run its coarse.

6. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

Thanks.
    So the creator in BTE that gets killed by Lister is suppossed to be Rob Grant?
    Doug's revenge ;-)

7. Spm_V1

Spm_V1 Third Technician

lol I doubt it, the actor would need to weigh about 6 extra stone to be Rob ;-)

8. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I actually did sense a hint of that in the line "I have grown weary of you"

9. roebeet

roebeet Third Technician

There has to be more to this story than "he wanted to move on". I have seen all the DVD extras and I have never seen him on any of these, not once. Even if he's moved on, he can't take the time for even one interview? Something smells fishy, to me.

If he became super-famous, I could probably understand it. But I have never seen any work of his outside Red Dwarf (granted, I live in the States).

10. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    Unfortunatly I dont have a link, but i listened to a bbc radio wiltshire dj interviewing Rob Grant from 2005, Its still in the bbc archives. But upon listening to it Rob grew tired of red dwarf and left after series 6. He didnt like the direction that series 7 went and he never even wathced series 8. He also said he never meant the show to go on with the same actors growing old and that if he had had his own way he would of used four new and younger actors. He also said that he loved the American version of Red Dwarf with its different actors and was soreley dissapointed that it didnt get out of the starting blocks.

So going on that I doubt he will come back.

EDIT: I found the link: The Interview is 30 mins long and in three parts (how ironic) seperated by two traffic bulletins and 2 songs
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/entertainment/films_and_tv/robgrant.shtml

11. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

He was on the Bodysnatcher DVD and wrote the rest of the script for that, as well as being in the Series I and II interviews on this set.

12. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

As well as that Rob has said that he also didn`t like Last Human so he is obviously not a fan at all of what Doug has done on his own with Dwarf.

Although Rob now says that he wanted to move on from Dwarf, there is clearly more to it than that. The writing partnership actually split up when they were working on The 10 Percenters so he can`t be wholly telling the truth. He has also said that it became impossible for him and Doug to work together. Even though they wrote a new ending to Bodysnatcher, they did it via email so it would be a very different thing to get back in a room together to come up with new Dwarf.

I would love for it to happen though.