Would you be a huge Dwarf fan if you saw it for the first time today?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by HO HO HO I'M JMC, Oct 4, 2017.

1. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

I'm honestly not sure, you know. How about the rest of you?

2. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

Which episode am I watching

3. HO HO HO I'M JMC

Your choice. Feel free to provide multiple answers for multiple scenarios!!

4. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

I think I would, yes!

I watched Hyperdrive for the first time and thought it was dreadful!

5. Snow Cloud

Snow Cloud Console Officer

Yeah probably

6. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

Yes. I only discovered Red Dwarf during Christmas holidays in 2007 and I was hooked after 1 episode. I love older sci-fi more then anything recent and Red Dwarf just happens to be in a style that I love.

I agree with Ant e about Hyperdrive being dreadful, I have the first season on DVD and watched it just after Red Dwarf and it was hard to stomach.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Yule Sleigher likes this.
  7. Wenceslas

Wenceslas Deck Sergeant

I saw it for the first time year and half ago (or less) and I became massive fan... The same would happen today.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The first episode I ever saw was the first repeat of Backwards on the 4th of October, 1990. I was bored and had nothing to do. I'd heard about Red Dwarf from others but had decided it was a load of rubbish and had no intention of ever watching the show. But I was bored so I watched the episode and immediately fell in love with the series. Everything about it looked amazing to me. But would I still fall in love with Red Dwarf if I saw the same episode in 2017? Backwards in 1990 looked amazing to me. And yet when I watch the same episode today it looks horribly dated and unfunny, and it's an episode I tend to avoid (though to be honest I think using backwards footage for laughs was a dated concept even back then). In conclusion, if my introduction to Red Dwarf today was Backwards I'm pretty sure I wouldn't become a fan. But would it be different for any other episode? I really don't know.

9. BadOleSantabot

BadOleSantabot Deck Sergeant

I think I would be too actually. Even if I was seeing my first Dwarf now....random episode ...... Yeah I still would be. Because , even I didn't like that particular episode all that much I would see the massive potential for my enjoyment of more of them. And really, I've had at least one or two good laugh's in even the poorest episode.

Yule Sleigher likes this.
  10. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

If seeing the VAST majority of series 1-6 = You bet your butt I would, it's still great stuff!
    If seeing series 7 = Eh, I wouldn't hate it but I doubt I'd be a fan either!
    If seeing series 8 = If this was where I started, I'd have never given the show another chance!
    If seeing BTE = Definately not, I'd more just be bored and confused!
    If seeing series 10 = I dunno, maybe not if I were being 100% truthful!
    If seeing series 11 = Yeah I think it would have won me over!

11. HO HO HO I'M JMC

Good conditional response!

I'm not sure I'd be a fan if I saw any series for the first time today. I think I'm actually a bit indifferent to fantasy and sci-fi now :redface:

12. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Well if I was to watch the very first episode today and never having seen any RD before, I probably would not have made it to the second episode to be honest, but that's today and styles of filming have changed from the 80's to 2017
    For example how many films of the 80's seem so dated now while others still seem fresh.

If series 4,5 or6 were the first episodes to see today, then that would be a different story, plus possibly series 3, and some of series 2 , maybe.

13. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

If I saw my favourite series, I and II, for the first time today, I'd have been hooked, 100%. I still enjoy science fiction to some degree, and I can overlook how dated it might appear to be. I like old TV as much as anything new, since I saw much of it (Red Dwarf included) when it was new. I'm pretty sure I'd be interested enough to look further into it by anything other than 'Back to Earth'.

14. HO HO HO I'M JMC

On reflection, I asked the wrong question here. Liking something (and feeling the same way if you came to it cold) isn't the same as being a fan. Being a fan is what happens when you like something in a certain way at a certain point in your life. It's an accident of history. I might as well say, "Would I feel as Mancunian if I visited Manchester for the first time today?" It's an emotional engagement that goes beyond how good something is, and can survive it being bad sometimes.

Being a fan is like supporting a football team. It's when you watch every match, even though you've been disappointed and might be again. It's where you spend as much time cursing the manager as cheering the goals. I suppose the extra investment makes yesterday's episode disproportionately painful, and The Beginning disproportionately joyful.

If I saw Red Dwarf for the first time today, I wouldn't feel like I did when I watched it for the first time, when it marked the end of school and the start of the weekend. But I wouldn't feel that way about *any* show now. I remember once, as a child, I was so excited when the theme tune came on that I grabbed a ruler, held it on the edge of the table, and started trying to "twang" it along with the melody. I got so carried away that I snapped the ruler in two. I don't think the adult mind can produce that kind of excitement at a TV show. But that's how I felt when I was a child, and the legacy of that is my lasting emotional involvement in the success of the show.

I wouldn't like yesterday's episode if I saw it for the first time today (I saw it for the first time yesterday). I'm sure I'd feel the same about some of the classic episodes. But I'll still tune in next week, and for any more shows they make, and I suppose that's the difference between just liking something and being a fan.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  15. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

I am still pretty much a forty-three year old child with this kind of thing. I'm besotted with the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies and TV series, in a way I sort I know I shouldn't be, and which allows me to wade through the weaker entries with relish.

I should expand on what I said about finding almost any episode of Red Dwarf interesting enough for me to look further into it. The show is unlike pretty much anything else on TV. Even within the four main characters, there's enough going on that I would want to know more. Once I'd investigated it further, I'm pretty sure it would become as much one of my favourite things on TV as it is now. I would still be watching episode on UKTV Play, and then again on Dave. And i don't watch much TV. I'd still get the DVDs, even for the series I'm not as keen on. And I'd watch the more disappointing episodes knowing that better things would come. I'm pretty sure I'd qualify as a fan.

16. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

My wife watched it for the first time about 3 years ago, while I have watched it my entire life. We both love it equally now, so it is possible to convert new people to it.

As for me, I can't say if I'd be a fan because my personality has been shaped by many TV shows, and Red Dwarf is a big one. Huge elements of my sense of humour were forged by watching Red Dwarf. So if I hadn't watched Red Dwarf at all, I might be a completely different person, my sense of humour might have been different, so it's impossible for me to say I think without doing a Dimension Jump and finding that version of me that never watched it. I bet he's a right twat.

17. Radio Pluto

Radio Pluto First Technician

No.

I'd turn it off for the jumped up froth it now is and maybe watch a few of the earlier episodes on Netflix, vaguely recalling it from the '90s and remembering that the Canadian robot was quite funny.

18. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

I will echo what a few others have said; there is a significant part of my character that has been shaped by Red Dwarf and I don't just mean that fact that I say 'smeg' nearly every day...the relationships between the characters just affected the way I look at the world; I can see a bit of Rimmer in me, and Lister (I am thinking of him especially telling his younger self he was crap in Timeslides)....I have never seen much of the Cat in me, but I did once consider buying a pair of Cuban heels.

If I were to see some of the old stuff for the first time today, I probably would be a fan - when I was younger I used to avoid old TV such as ST:OS, but I can see through theatre set type production to see the quality of characters and writing now. I have a fondness for classic comedy, such as Blackadder. Actually Dad's Army might be a better example, it is massively dated, but if you watch the comedy performances it is a master class - Chris Barrie has those true comic actor skills, and Craig Charles (even though he doesn't seem to think so in the commentary track) found the character and the ability to both act the lines and deliver the jokes right from episode one. Everyone watching RD feels they know Dave Lister and for that to be true in a comedy in such a strange setting, that is good acting.

As for the new stuff, I do wonder how it would square up against stuff like Zapped on a first watch, my comedy tastes have evolved; on reflection, I think I probably would - with RD you need to get to know and like the characters to enjoy it, so you need some kind of hook in the first episode that you watch; Silliconia is funnier for people who have watched RD for years, because you are seeing everyone looking like Kryten and then picking up on where the other characters subtly start aping him.

P.S. I love Hyperdrive - I am a Pegg and Frost fan - I mentioned that fact on another RD board a number of years ago....and let's say I still say a quiet prayer and wince a little bit whenever I start my car.

FeeBeeBells likes this.
  19. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

I wish that I watched Hyperdrive before I watched Red Dwarf. I got both on DVD at the same time and watched Red Dwarf first and I think it spoilt Hyperdrive for me at the time since it does have elements of sci-fi that I enjoy. I should go watch it again and see what I think of it now since I do have the DVDs.