would you like see an 11th series?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Robert26, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

Based on the episodes so far, would you like to see another series? This series got a mixed reaction. If this series ends tidily then do you think it would be better to rest the show so that it goes out on a high note and a decent enough legacy? On the other hand if they make another two series then you can easily divide the show into 1-6 and 7-12.

2. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

I don't want to poo-poo Doug Naylor's solo work (Lemons was probably the best episode so far IMHO) but I really think that an 11th series should only be made if Rob Grant is back on-board.

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Firstly, I know you've asked for judgement on the first 3 episodes but I don't think you can say that "this series got a mixed reaction" as we've only seen half the episodes.

I want to watch the whole series first but based on the first 3 episodes then yes I'm happy to see another commissioned.

4. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

I'm happy with the direction that RDX has taken so far and would most definitely like to see more.

I doubt I will change my mind unless something goes incredibly credibly wrong!

5. bigtimedwarfer

bigtimedwarfer Second Technician

Yes. And I think we will.

6. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

My hopes for the future...

In a perfect world Rob and Doug would be working together on something (Dwarf or not).

Having the movie script made available in some form or other would be great. Ideally with a full description of how the script developed and why the movie was never made.

A new series would be of less interest to me (unless the rest of Series X improves) but I presume Dave will be keen for one so it will probably happen.

7. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I think the ratings will be the ultimate decider rather than any perceived reaction and they seem to hsve been good so far.

8. ben996

ben996 First Technician

This series has been a massive disappointment for me and hasn't been as good as previews were making it sound (and people at filming).
    I know there are people on here who love this new series but there are a lot who agree with me.

I'd only like a XI if Doug gets another writer or two or Rob back, he is clearly a talented writer but by himself it just doesn't cut the mustard.

9. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I say a definate YES. I would like an eleventh series but without the three year or longer gaps that seem to have hurt the making of Red Dwarf. I know there are reasons for the large gaps but as RDX has already been through the whole commision proccess with Dave RDXI only needs a tick in the box on the paperwork then theres no reason it can't come along this time next year. 8)

10. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Wasn`t this series filmed 10 months ago?

So writing, planning, making and editing a series would take a lot longer than a year. There might be something in 2014 perhaps.

11. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Indeed, but now that the ball is rolling there is no real obstacle to having a new series a year later as most other programs seem to manage. It's probs all down to cash flow and of course Craig being in Corrie doesn't help to schedule. Although the filming was done 10 months ago doesn't mean that Doug Naylor may not have in that time made a start on basic outlines of future scripts. (I hope so.) It's all about keeping the momentum going, even so 2014 is good if thats the way it might pan out.

12. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Of course I'd like to see a new series, everything we've seen so far most certainly suggests that Doug and the boys are more than capable of bringing a new series to us.

13. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Series I and II were in the same year! Series III was a year after II. Series 4 was broadcast in Febuary 1991 and Series 5 in February 1992, so only a year between them as well. It seems if things are in place, the show can be recorded, edited etc. in less than 12 months. In fact, from memory, VI was recorded in March of 1993 and broadcast in October 1993, so well under a year.

We could very well have Red Dwarf XI in 2013 if everything was in place, including the show being renewed for another serious, obviously!

14. bigtimedwarfer

Paddy, I'm interested, what is your answer to the OP's question. would you actually want this to happen?

15. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

I'd love a Series XI to happen, I'm a huge fan of the show, it's probably my favourite TV show of all time. If some things can be changed/tightened, there's no reason why Series XI can't happen or be quite successful. Personally, I just think continuing it in the exact same way that X has been done will be a bad idea and will ruin the show. At least let the show go out with a bang and on a high, not whimpering along like I feel it is now. It may be at it's best in some respects now regarding sets, effects etc. but in some ways it is also at it's worst and the worst stand out more glaringly obvious over the good stuff. (Again, in my opinion.)

16. bigtimedwarfer

Do you think there's any realistic prospect of an eleventh series actually turning out in the way you would like? I cant imagine seies 11 being any more different to series10 than, say, series 2 was to series 1.

17. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

You never know. 3 was different to 2. 6 was different to 5. 7 was different to 6. 8 was different to 7. 9 was different to them all. Who's to say 11 can't be different from 10?

18. bigtimedwarfer

I don't think anyone would say it can't but what is most likely? The reason we're speculating about a quick turn around for another series is the possibility of recycling the existing sets. Lkely to lend a similar feel I think. Of course the writing and directing will remain the same. Therefore if I were making a bet it would be that I will like series 11 when it happens (because I like 10) whereas you will find it toecurlingly embarrasing.

19. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Well, only 2 out of 3 episodes I've seen have had moments where it was toe curlingly embarassing. Lemons was like watching a different show entirely, Fathers & Suns was good in most parts and Trojan was disappointing but had the potential to be a fantastic episode if it wasn't for the new style the show had. I know I'm not going to like everything in the remaining 3 episodes but I do hope there is enough in them for me to come away from Red Dwarf X feeling like it was a decent enough attempt at the series. Maybe not as good as the classic era, but at least they tried.

20. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I agree that it is very unlikely that anything would change regarding the making of the show as Doug is likely to remain sole writer and director. Perhaps the content might change with it featuring more Kochanski and more OB stuff.