would you like see an 11th series?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Robert26, Oct 18, 2012.

1. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Given the trajectory of the first 3 epiodes of series X, no i wouldn't really like a series eleven because once again a decent start has turned quite poor.

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Honestly I've been finding it to be the opposite, as I frankly didn't think Trojan was all that great and each episode has been getting better then the last.

3. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Definately a series 11 for me, but the thing that is letting series 10 down up to now, for me, is the long winded boring set up of the first few minutes dialogue. ie how long the moose gag took to set up left me feeling what the hell is going on. Ok the payoff was good but the huge slow lead up was overdone. Same with F&S.

4. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

On the strength of this series so far, I'd be happy to hear there was another planned. This current series may not really be classic dwarf, but I'm still enjoying it more than anything else on TV.

5. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Yes I'm up for Dwarf 11, get Holly back and kill kochanski.:-D

6. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Yeah get Norman back and give him some good lines. Bridges can be re-built.

7. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Yes Norm is 64 now but he was superb in series 1 and 2 classic deadpan/dry. Get him back.

8. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Wouldn`t it be nice...

Norman can be an idiot sometimes but he would be a big plus for the show I think. Strange that the show has never had the main 5 of Chris, Craig, Danny, Robert and Norman alone in an episode together. Seems like Norman still gets on with the other cast members and Danny was commenting how much he loves him on Twitter the other day.

9. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Norman has to want to be back, that's the core issue. Norman is big on biting the hand that feeds him, while he was funny in the first 2 seasons and I liked his surprise (at the time) appearance in Nanarchy.....I frankly don't think he deserves another chance, he is clearly completely unprofessional and likely given his attitude of late would make a very unpleasant working environment.

10. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

I remembered hearing the commentary for Series 8 and Norman really didn't sound too pleased with how Red Dwarf had changed. I think some of his comments were heading towards the negative side and the conversations were barely salvaged by Chris.

I'm not sure his return would herald the triumphant most of us wish for, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to see his return.

11. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

I would love to see a Series XI. I might be one of the few who has enjoyed every single incarnation of the Dwarf - including Series' 7, 8 and BTE. I think RDX has been very strong so far, and I'd love to see them back for more. It's like welcoming an old friend into my living room when RD is on.

On the topic of Norman Lovett...I don't think it will ever happen. A torrential river passing between him and Naylor with no way to cross it.

Hattie Hayridge may be a possibility, and I'd certainly be delighted to see her back.

12. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

You're not one of the few to have enjoyed it. I am enjoying it as are many. It's just alot who are enjoying it dont care much to debate it constantly with the haters.

13. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Does mouse sh** roll? ;-) I would absolutely love to see at least one more series made after this. Another two series would be very much appreciated too. Series X has already lived up to my expectations. I know this may sound condescending to some, but I genuinely feel quite sorry for those who don't seem to allow themselves to accept this series for the awesomeness that it is. I personally feel like a happy-go-lucky kid again watching this series. In fact, I may even make myself a ridiculously large bowl of Weetabix with way too much sugar on and watch the next episode in bed for old times sake ;-)

Seriously though, I worry that some fans might be looking back at 'classic' Red Dwarf episodes with rose tinted glasses. And in some people's case it wouldn't surprise me if they are...almost incapable of enjoying any new Dwarf, regardless of it's quality.

That's a bold statement, I know. A brave one too as other forum members have been attacked for holding such views (because of other people's ego's). Well, I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. Although personal taste should always be taken into concideration too of course, there's no "right" or "wrong" in that sense. But one cannot help but feel that in some cases certain exaggerated and extreme reactions may stem from something a tad more complex than just that.

People and their perceptions change. Some much more so than others. I don't even recognise some of the people I used to know as a child (personality wise, I mean) Yet others have not lost that empirical spirit they had as kids. And their tastes, whilst much broader now, have not changed as radically as those of others.

Whereas in other cases their tastes (and personalities) really have changed quite dramatically. But they can still appreciate a bit of nostalgia, and so will always enjoy the TV shows (or music) from their childhood and teenage years, but will quite likely never be able to fully enjoy any new episodes, as their unrealistic ideal of how the episodes should be - or how they remembered the older shows to be as kids - can never be met.

I feel that in the case of Red Dwarf this would probably be the case if Rob were still writing for the show too. I think Rob leaving the writing team is often used as a scapegoat for people's personal dislike for new episodes or the direction the show has taken [Over the past three weeks this has become more apparant than ever before]. It's an easy one as it can't be disproven. But then neither can it be proved either. How much one personally liked series 3-5 or whatever [and I doubt anyone likes every scene and every episode equally] is not proof that if Rob were still around the show would be what one wants it to be.

So yeah, I feel the Cat that got the cream in regards to my enjoyment of these new episodes. And I genuinely feel a bit sad for those unable to enjoy them for whatever reason. I already perfer this series to series 4, 7, 8 and BTE (I refuse to call BTE series 9 :P ) and it wouldn't surprise me if it surpasses some of the others too...for me.

Do I think that it's realistic to think a new series will be made? Yes. Going from my travels across the web majority seem to agree that series X is a return to form (remember we hardcore fans/Dwarfers are NOT the majority, whether we like it or not). And the "viewing figures" have been pretty good up to this point. I'd be quite surpised if DAVE don't commission at least another series after this one. They must keep up the momentum however. Three years really is a long time to wait for new shows.

14. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Based on the episodes so far, no no NO!!! From a good opening episode there's been a dramatic drop in quality, in fact Lemons is one of the worst episodes of any sitcom I have ever seen. . .ever!!

If Red Dwarf was a horse it would be on its way to the glue factory now!!

Time to put it out of its misery.

:x

15. Diet_coke

Rubbish

16. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

You're right. That is condescending! Its not a case of people "not allowing themselves to accept this series for the awesomeness that it is". Its simply some of us do not find it funny! :roll:

17. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

Fair enough. :-) Glad to know I'm not on my own!

In summation once again, I would love, love, LOVE for there to be a Series XI...and XII...and XIII...

18. Diet_coke

Yes I am all FOR MORE DWARF! 11, 12 and 13 and not forgetting, 14!:-D

19. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

That works both ways doesn`t it. Are there some who had decided they weren`t going to enjoy this series before it began? Probably. Are there some who had decided that they were going to enjoy it and that it was a return to form before they started watching? Probably again.

The general reaction I`ve seen on non-Dwarf forums so far has been:- Trojan - pretty good, Fathers and Suns - poor, Lemons - so-so.

20. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer