would you like see an 11th series?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Robert26, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Taking out all of the equation what the real reason of him not being in BTE, that hasn't stopped him from publicly slandering his fellow co-stars who had NOTHING to do with it. Even if he were the victim (which is dubious due to his own actions and the fact his story keeps changing) he has still been unbelievably petty and unprofessional. At the end even IF what he says is true then he still doesn't deserve to come back and still would create a tense and unpleasant working environment. And you can look it all up about him slandering his fellow co-stars and blocking Robert on twitter after he was rude to Robert himself......the cast just seem to like him anyway even though he treats them kinds baddly.....look it up.

2. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

No-one wants hattie back? Only Norman?

I love every episode except the pete episodes and would love to see series x1 and a movie

3. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

On Norman's relationship with the cast...

I seem to recall him lampooning most of the cast except for Craig when BTE came out? He lauded Craig's acting ability and how far he has come as a comedic and dramatic player, but he seemed pretty critical of everything else about the show, cast, crew and otherwise.

4. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

5. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Not quite, I would be happy to see Hattie make a return as Holly but I do prefer Normans Holly.

6. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I don`t need to look it up. I`ve admitted that Norman did stupid things around the BTE period but I`m sure the cast members are all big boys and can deal with things themselves. They know Norman a lot better than people on these boards do and if Danny John Jules, for example, says that he loves the guy then he can`t be all bad. Disputes between the cast members are just that. Between them.

7. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

'tis a good point. Indeed I think it could and does work the other way too (especially when part of a live audience). Although I think it's less likely in regards to watching a TV show people have grown up watching, as we tend to automatically compare to what came before and can therefore be quite critical.

I like series 8. But compared to other series I think it has many weaknesses [EDIT: And the entire premise was very different too] and so I can fully empathise with why some fans are not so keen on it. However, It becomes clear that many hold a certain inherent bias when continuous examples from series 8 are used in comparison to certain elements of Red Dwarf X, in a negative sense. When in fact many equally fitting examples could often be used from various other series to make the exact same point.

Also, put simply, I think part of the problem may come down to people over analysing to such an extreme degree that they're kind of unknowingly taking away part of their own enjoyment of the show.

This example, and indeed every single example I've ever used and ever will use is to levels of degree and are generalisations. Some people probably get a lot of enjoyment out of over analysing to the point of brain meltage ;-)

And who knows, perhaps some people get some kind of a kick out of being negative. It's not just drugs that are addictive, you know? Certain kinds of behaviour can be too....mentioning no names of course.

And just in case a certain missed this the first time...or chose/pretended to miss it. Personal taste is also a major factor! Sometimes it may be the main, or the only factor.

Hmm, interesting. I don't disbelieve that those are the general reactions you've come across. But I've personally found the general reaction to be pretty positive. I've seen very little negativity about Lemons outside of this forum.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i think many fans prefer norman i think many would happly accept hattie

but if i remember right rob and doug found it hard to write for hattie because they didn't want to go the dumb blonde route

yeah and he blocked robert on twitter over nothing and seems to be acting very much like he is better then red dwarf

9. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I love the 3 (or 4 if you are nitpicking) series that Hattie was in but she was never as funny as Norman in that role. That`s partly because she was given much less to do of course but also because Norman was great at delivering his gags. Even in Series VIII he still gets some good laughs (in among the terrible jokes of course).

10. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

He was right, apart from Craig's 'acting' ability!!

11. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

The comments that I`ve seen about Lemons elsewhere have essentially said, `amiable but not enough laughs`.

The general comments from people about the series (and these are from people who aren`t interested in deep analysis) have been that it`s nice to see those characters back again but that the writing is very old-fashioned and predictable.

I think that for every person who is being too harsh on the show due to it not competing with earlier episodes, there is another who is giving it the benfit of the doubt due to fondness for the characters.

12. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

a full-hearted YES!
    I don't see what all the negatives waves are about. They have done a brilliant job so far!

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

14. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Yes but I never the less maintain they Norman would makes a stress for working condition, because Norman clearly hold a huge grudge with Doug Naylor. Things would be very tense between then and would create an unpleasant atmosphere with which to work. The fact the the other acting cast may of may not be on good terms with him would still be a moot point at the end of the day.

15. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Of course that`s the key issue that would have to be sorted out (and probably won`t be).

The cast members, including Norman and Robert, have appeared at conventions together happily so I reckon they would just get on with it.

16. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Possibly. I'm not convinced it's quite as parallel as that though...Especially with hard core Dwarfers. Red Dwarf fans are harsh, maaan! ;-)

Either way, I'm just pleased to have been proven wrong, as before I attended the recording I was quietly, genuinely concerned about the future of Red Dwarf. As I wasn't sure it would still work in the old sitcom format (or rather, and this may be the first time I've said this on here, I wasn't convinced at the time that Doug was still able to write the show in that way, effectively anyway).

This concern wasn't helped by the first scene of BTE, which I thought was terrible, it made me extremely uncomfortable. However, I loved BTE when it stopped (still) trying to be a sitcom however. From an objective point of view (as objective as possible, I mean) I think BTE is a great piece, but only if accepted for what it is. Subjectively speaking, for one who hoped it would be like series 3-5, it's "Bitcrap".

But thankfully that fear was soon blown out of the water upon seeing both the recording and each of these new episode air. So far this series really has far exceeded my expectations, by quite a long shot.

Oh, and Norm Rocks! 8)

17. menacexp

menacexp Second Technician

YES!!! MORE MORE MORE!!! I love this show!! Lets go to season XX

18. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

While my reaction towards series X has been variable, (although I've largely liked it, and lean towards 'positive') I'm definitely in the YES camp.

19. Chooky88

Chooky88 Third Technician

YES,

Been great so far. If I can laugh at loud in the three so far then YES.

(Please)

20. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I loved Trojan (definitely up there in my list of favourite episodes) but wasn't overly keen on Fathers & Suns, or Lemons.

So I would cautiously say "yes". Now that Red Dwarf's back I look forward to each new episode, and have even left them on the Tivo to rewatch if I feel like it before I get the DVD. However, I don't want them to do too much Red Dwarf and wear it thin too quickly, which is why I say cautiously.

So yes, I'd like to see more, but I would say "take your time". It took three years between Back To Earth and RDX - to me, this is a perfectly acceptable amount of time, especially as they seem to have gotten it largely right so far. Don't do a series every year and milk the show unless you're pretty sure you can keep it fresh and funny.