would you like see an 11th series?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Robert26, Oct 18, 2012.

1. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

The ratings have been very, very good - with the DVD and blu-ray just being released, as well as international broadcasts (my dad and nephew are watching it in Australia), chances are Red Dwarf X will have turned a healthy profit. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a Red Dwarf XI announced in the next six months (or possibly at next year's Dimension Jump).

As for the quality of Red Dwarf X, yes Doug could have done better. I wasn't fond of Fathers & Suns, Lemons and Dear Dave. However, I do want to re-watch them again and definitely getting the DVD (or blu-ray). Some of the moments in some of the episodes were absolutely great, at least in my opinion. Definitely an A for effort, and a B for execution. Still loved watching them, even if I wasn't keen on some moments.

Agreed. Hell, even after BTE (which I'll still watch and enjoy bits of from time to time, to me it's good but largely *not quite* Red Dwarf) I still wanted more Red Dwarf. Had this been a six-episode series, with live studio audience and all - and sucked - then I'd be hesitant about more, but to me the quality proved that the show's still viable. I don't want Red Dwarf ALL THE TIME as that would dilute it and the show would lose it's appeal (so, whilst it may be unpopular, six episodes per series is fine with me) but giving us a new series every few years would suit me quite nicely. I'm not going to say "I wish BTE had never happened" because, if it hadn't, we wouldn't have RDX and, as I said, I enjoy BTE - in doses.

At the moment I'm watching several shows from the US, one of them being Supernatural. And I'm beginning to want them to end it (but to end it well, of course, with a big musical finale and exploding witches and stuff). It's repetitive, with them doing the same old stuff over and over. I don't want to be "looking forward to the end of the series" with Red Dwarf - I don't want to be getting bored with it. And at the moment, despite owning all the DVDs, several books and assorted merchandise, I'm happy to say that looks like it's a long way off.

So yes, a Red Dwarf XI would be fantastic. But I wouldn't mind waiting two or three years for it, if need be. And this time, I'll remember to be on the lookout for live audience tickets.

2. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I was very much into the American show 'lost' and the grand finale didn't half get a lot of promo and anticipation behind it. But it was by and large and let down, well for me personally. It may have been better to leave certain endings alone and leave it to the viewers own imagination of how things end.

Imagine being on the journey with the boys from the dwarf and then the final ever episode being a case of... 'Well that sucked...'

3. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

Yes, I would like to see a series XI.

After that, I'd like to see a Christmas Special, at the end of which Holly is re-introduced.

And then, for series XII, Rob Grant would return. A 6-episode story arc would focus on Lister finding Kochanski but each episode would focus on a different character (Lister, Rimmer, Cat, Kryten, Holly) before the very last episode wrapped things up and concluded the show, either finding Earth or achieving Lister's dreams of "fun, fun, fun in the sun, sun, sun".

That's my outline anyway!

4. Laporbo

Laporbo Second Technician

Why does anyone want to end it? I despised BTE but I still wanted more. I loved X so of course I want more. I'd take as much as the boys can do. Give me 20 seasons. How about 20 episodes each? :-) More. More. More.

(Since I keep reading that lots of people liked BTE I think I will try to watch it again. I haven't opened the case in 2 years after the first viewing. Maybe I was just having a bad night back then but just in case I ask for your prayers.)

5. MisterBuch

MisterBuch Second Technician

I want it to end, ideally after one more season.

The reasons are: I think the cast are getting too old for the characters, I think Doug's writing is not quite what it used to be, I have never seen a sitcom that maintained consistent quality over many years and didn't go downhill the longer it stayed on air, and I'd like to see the Dwarfers' story have a solid, deliberately-planned 'ending' while this is still possible and everyone involved is alive and well!

6. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Whilst I don't want Red Dwarf to end after one more series, I think probably others are right in wanting it to end because, let's face it, every show has to end sooner or later and I wouldn't like it if, say, Chris Barrie died and they replaced him with a new actor (who's still supposed to be Rimmer) and eventually the entire crew are too old for the whole thing.

So yes, maybe Doug should start thinking about how he'd like to end the show. Not planning to end it in a series or two, but just have some ideas of what a final episode would entail, and episodes he'd like to do between now and then, to use at a later date.

I'd also like to ask that, if Dave ever decide to cancel the show, he be given fair warning so he can make the show end in the best way possible. A recent casualty of cancellation was Last Of The Summer Wine, which I used to watch as a kid (haven't watched since the death of Compo though) - I believe everyone was told about the show being cancelled right at the end of filming, so there wouldn't have been time to do anything special.

Basically, I accept the show has to end and so I'd like to end it on a good note, rather than a sudden "sorry, you're cancelled" or carry on forever with Red Dwarf LXVI, where Lister turns Kryten into a zimmerframe and spends the entire series joking about Rimmer rhyming with zimmer.

As for others suggesting "yes, another 20 series of 20 episodes each" - I don't think Red Dwarf could pull that off and not suffer as a show. Each episode is a stand-alone episode. It works in some shows - Friends and Raising Hope spring immediately to mind - but those are quite different shows. Friends had a HUGE budget (I think you could produce an entire series of Red Dwarf for how much it cost just to get one of the actors for one episode) and was a drama-comedy where a lot of the episodes were written based on how they'd plotted the season - a lot of the things going on in an individual episode were pre-written events that would impact the season's plot as a whole. Raising Hope - whilst it is a great show (in my opinion) it's so loose that they just take a lot of wacky situations and see what sticks. Red Dwarf, at it's core, is quite a different beast, one where each episode has an individual flavour and stands alone, but with established characters and more precise plotting. I honestly don't think they could pull off more than 6/8 episodes per series and keep it good.

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Dougs apparently getting a early head start to avoid script problems on series 11 even though it hasn't even got the go ahead yet

digispy news

hopefully this doesnt mean it will be like a sketch show with different ideas all over the place, it was a big issue with RDX for me

8. thutu5

thutu5 Skutter

9. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

From other threads it sounds like Dave are keen on Red Dwarf XI and XII, which is definitely good news.

Talkie - I would say that you've got a point. Red Dwarf X did feel more "broken into segments" rather than a continuous episode like 1-6. I still think RDX was great - it did have some brilliant moments - but comparing some of the previous, and I hate to use the term but I will, "golden day" episodes of Red Dwarf to RDX, and you'll find the crew being split off into pairs to have their own storylines and segments more often which, I think, leads to it feeling more like a "sketch show". Oh, this is a Kryten/Rimmer part, and this is a Lister part etc. It needs more of the crew essentially acting as one.

But, as I've said, I'd like Doug to use this opportunity to get some scripts ready that he DEFINITELY wants to do. He's got to have some ideas in his head for episodes which, at some point, MUST be made. Get those ready, 'cos it'd be better they were done than not and you don't know how long Red Dwarf will be made for, or even if people want to see it "trotted out" for eternity (because, after Red Dwarf LXV it would feel like it).

10. lisamaree

lisamaree Skutter

Yes!!! Definitely. I am a long time die-hard fan, and I loved series X. Please make more!!

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i know many won't agree but i personally think the writing in RDX was quite sloppy and not really to the standard you would expect from a guy whose created the show and has had 20 years of writing and producing it, and im not just talking abour the last 2 episodes which were written quickly

the logic for some of the episodes were all over the place and that could either have been a mess up by doug or he just doesn't translate whats in his head very well on screen

while somethings are over explained (ussually jokes) other things are not explained at all (ussually logic and story XD)

12. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Out of interest can you give some examples of why you considered it sloppy? With the exception of Lemons, which as I've said elsewhere I do think had a few too many quite obvious mistakes and holes in it, I thought that Series X was on the whole quite good. There were bits in almost every episode that I can think of that IMO would have been better off left out, but on balance I thought the result overall was pretty good.

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i would say for trojan even if you like the phone stuff which is fair enough i personally don't think it was needed and gave nothing to the story, infact it took away what could have been plot development for a already funny story which is like taking an episode like holoship and saying there is to much rimmer here we need to give the other guys a plot... which would just end up taking something from the main story and even if someone isn't a big fan of holoship i think they would still say it needed as much time as it could get to tell the story which i thought was the whole point of doug wanting the extra 5 min, and i suppose im just a sucker for little details like why was Rimmers brother a hard light hologramme and what is this JMC computer doug brought into the show

as well as that the logic in entangled and the coincidence stuff is almost confused as to what its trying to say and i think i mentioned it before but when kryten says the beggs were always going to choke at the same time and that him and cat were just more aware of it due to the syncnicity (which if true is stupid and ridiculous) but then you have the tv switching on randomly like they made it happen because they were in an emotional state, and maybe doug knew what he mean't but he didn't translate it well on screen

and so far we keep having call backs to stuff we already know, like listers oh remember when you wiped out the crew? or Rimmers im lucky i already died from the radiation leak that hit me which is talked about which tells us nothing we don't already know but we have 9 years of unknown time between 8 and BTE and also a clifhanger for series 8 which doug apparently really wants to avoid (personally i don't care about the cliffhanger but it seems sloppy for doug to avoid)

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I can see what you mean. I guess most of those didn't bother me too much, although it does detract from the episodes, for me there was generally enough good stuff to more than outweigh the moments of weaker writing. I do agree about the coincidence/quantum entanglement bit though, outside of Lemons I'd probably say that was the main "WTF?" moment in the series for me.