Would you welcome another writer into the show?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Burnie, Aug 18, 2009.

1. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    More writers are great so long as the play nicely in a group. Like a cog in a machine, it must fit and work well in order for every thing to work in harmony. After all don't they do that in Dr Who and in past shows like Star Trek est?

2. littlesmegger

littlesmegger Third Technician

I was going to say myself about the writing format of Doctor Who... they have several writers, but have one executive writer standing over them providing the ark for the entire series. Curreny Davies but soon to be Moffet.

Personally, I feel Dwarf could still work under such a formula. Have half the scripts written by other people who Doug has hand picked, but still have him giving them a direction to be heading in so that the series still blends together.

I'm sure there'd be several dozen people wanting to be writing for such a programme... and if Stephen Fry has been [apparently] writing scripts for Doctor Who, then I'm sure Red Dwarf can get their mittens on some people aswell! :lol:

3. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

I think some fresh ideas wouldn't hurt the show. It would really kind of depend on the writer in question of course, whether or not they understand the show and how good a writer they are.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

sadly any new writer just wouldnt have the skill for writing red dwarf the way rob and doug did.

but at the same time i do believe doug can write some good classic stuff, i just feel he spends to much time recycling jokes from early series and trying to fit bunk room scenes in (to please fans) which i dont think is needed.

i honestly thought back to earth should of started with the lister visiting kochanski's grave so that in my appinion was some bad judgement by doug to add a pointless bunkroom scene before it, but the deleted bunk room scene about the buscuit should of stayed in i believe.

its funny how series 5 seems to be the most popular series and yet has hardly any bunkroom scenes, but the comedy is top notch.

all in all i think doug needs to stop thinking what the fans want to see and start thinking what would be a good funny story, as the first 6 series didnt depend on fans approval (excluding polymorph 2)

5. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

The idea that Red Dwarf only started thinking about audience appeal when Rob left is nuts. It's projecting personal taste onto the back-stage process. "I liked this, so they must have done it this way for this reason".

The first scenes of Back to Earth were very specifically designed to show the current state of play. That Rimmer and Lister had resorted to their old relationship, that much of their time was spent on things pointless or puerile. It absolutely informs what happens later - the scene is required to justify Katerina's suggestion that Rimmer is not fulfilling his duty to Lister. It informs much of what follows.

Not finding the scene funny? Okay. Taste thing. But taking that and turning it into an assumption about 'bad motivation' is inaccurate. Rob and Doug always adjusted their writing to suit a combination what the cast could do, what the audience might want, and what would be interesting (but still possible) - and that ethos remains.

The bunk scenes were dropped for logistic rather than artistic reasons, but I'm not hearing a lot of 'You shouldn't let that decide how you write the show'. They guys wanted to do them and had to steer away. (And for the record, Series V's the fans' favourite, but there's no evidence that it's preferred by the mainstream audience Dwarf has always primarily aimed for.) If you didn't want 'em back, or didn't like them when they returned, fair enough - but don't turn that into a proof of some theory within the internal production process.

6. littlesmegger

littlesmegger Third Technician

See this is the thing, I'd like to class myself as a proper Dwarf fan, owning every DVD available, getting full scores on Beat the Geek, owning the tshirts/bobbleheads/models etc... BUT, I've never been one to slate the latter series. Infact Series VIII is one of my favourites, and I'll be sure to cower behind a thick metal wall once I've posted this as a result. :lol:

I personally feel that some people seem to forget Red Dwarf has changed and evolved every single series, not just when Rob left. It's one of the few products that has survived a 10 year hiatus as a result of this. They're the musical equivilent of U2, always changing for the industry and technology around them.

If Back to Earth had been written/edited in the same way earlier series had, then Dave would've had a nice little nostalgic weekend and that'd be it. Thanks to Dwarf once again grabbing technology by the horns, and making the genre of the product blend in with 2009's standards, there's a very very possible [if not certain] chance a new series will be on the cards.

I hate to say it, but sometimes it annoys me how some fans can be so stubborn and 'rose tinted' towards the earlier series over the latter ones. Prefering breadbox paneling over full blown sets. Each to their own I guess, but for me I'm able to sit down an appreciate Dwarf in all its forms, rather than sit and criticise variation for its flaws.

Rant over. :lol:

7. DaleBennett

DaleBennett Third Technician

ha, , funny that, series VIII was probably my second or third favourite. Can't understand why so many people seem to dislike it. Cassandra is a classic episode may i add ;-) however, series V is definately my favourite.
    A new writer would be ok ...maybe, it would definately depend on the style of comedy that would be produced. Personally I think Doug is good enough on his own, Ok Bte wasn't a personal favourite, but I still did enjoy it. Just as long as we get more :-D

8. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    [quote="littlesmegger]I hate to say it, but sometimes it annoys me how some fans can be so stubborn and 'rose tinted' towards the earlier series over the latter ones. Prefering breadbox paneling over full blown sets. Each to their own I guess, but for me I'm able to sit down an appreciate Dwarf in all its forms, rather than sit and criticise variation for its flaws.[/quote]

I can't speak for everyone who thinks the older series are better but for me it isn't the sets that make the difference (although I do think the model effects were better than the series 7 CGI), it is the quality of the script etc. I still like 7 and 8 but don't think they were as good as the earlier ones. Not as funny or well written.