XI DVDs

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by mtullock, Oct 7, 2016.

1. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Any word if the XI DVD series will continue the same cover art as the previous series? I was overjoyed when I saw that X had a reversable cover - my OCD could not cope otherwise! lol

2. Underdunn Turkey

Underdunn Turkey First Technician

How does your OCD cope with Back To Earth being sat there between 8 and X? With its silly black cover? Because it's killing me!

3. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

You should check out Peter's amazing work here.

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/forum/messages.cfm?messageid=23D2B5A1-1999-AFED-B46F5353104CBE20#23D2B5A1-1999-AFED-B46F5353104CBE20

4. mtullock

Yep what he said lol. Downloded the fan cover (the fella kindly emailed me a high res version) and i printed it off on a good laser.....hey presto a consistent cover lol.

5. Underdunn Turkey

Underdunn Turkey First Technician

Hey wow, that is VERY good work by that feller. Thanks for linking to that. However I'm afraid it won't counter my inner-demons! Having a fake cover on my shelf is worse than having one that doesn't fit. Much worse. I imagine I'd probably have to move house if I did it.

6. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

It's tough to be Underdun!!

7. mtullock

But its on bte......that series was so bad it will never be off your shelf to look at it lol

8. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I just hope the Series XI DVD has a commentary track on all episodes. That was something I felt really disappointed by on the Series X DVD.

9. mtullock

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2016/10/14/cover-story/

hells yeah - reversible cover!!! :-D

10. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

Star Bug!! That's lovely!

Keeping reversible covers makes me so happy.

11. mtullock

although its a bit Blue Midget for the traditional starbug lol! - given the covers used in the past (ie starbug has been used before) quite surprised they didnt use the new ship or the new medi bay.

12. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

No one really praises it but a completely different star bug interior has introduced into RD and I don't think I've heard a single complaint about the cockpit.

Considering SB is so integral to RD's history I think they did a good job in making it work. Well deserved place on the DVDs. Medi-bay can be saved for RDXII's cover which would be my preferred order.

13. jamespotter

jamespotter Skutter

Unfortunately it looks as though there are no commentaries on the new series either. Does anyone know why?

14. Stuntmanmike

Stuntmanmike Skutter

That fan made cover for Back to Earth / series 9 is fantastic! Hope the maker still uses these boards as it's been 4 years since he posted it.

15. refuseliam

refuseliam Skutter

I can only assume that since 2012 the BBFC have enforced all special features/extras on DVDs/physical media to be rated (which was never the case in the past, only the movie would be rated, unless there was a special circumstance) meaning that audio commentaries are seen as a "new movie/tv episode" which would double the rate of their charge, which would prove to be extremely expensive. Which is another reason why many independent genre distribution labels have gone into administration as of late.

16. mtullock

Pretty sure i heard that the commentaries were not on the X dvds as Doug thought ot wouldnt be as interesting as doing the older series as well as securing all the actors time again.

17. PeterMoore

PeterMoore Skutter

Oh I do occasionally. I just don't post much. :-)

If anyone wants my series IX cover just PM me your email address and I'll send it over. It's a service I happily provide for those who are as ocd as me about such things. That being said I am very happy not to be having to make one for XI!(even if the spine isn't quite right, as the 'paint' from the back doesn't spread round!)

18. EmoSmeg

EmoSmeg Third Technician

I heard there is talk that the commentaries will be done separate to the DVD and will be available online through iTunes and suchlike. not sure on the rest of the information. but it was mentioned on a red dwarf podcast

19. mtullock

Damn you Peter why did you have to point out the spine? Never noticed that....until now! lol

20. PeterMoore

PeterMoore Skutter

Sorry! Although if I recall correctly there is one other series that has the same problem. I think it's series 4, but can't check at the moment.

... I've done it again haven't I? Sorry. :eek:ops: