Xtended versions

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Freeborn, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

So, A friend in the US now has series 1-5 on dvd (so far she's seen series 1-3 and is about to watch them back from the start). I shall be buying her the rest of the collection soon too. It may be a while until she gets to series 7 and 8, but I'm wondering what people's thoughts are about the "Remastered and Xtended" versions. Personally, since the release of the dvd's I've always since chosen to watch these versions over the origional broadcast versions, but I'm not sure whether to recommend them to my friend to watch first or not.

The only slight down side I see personally with these versions is the lack of the audience laugh track (purely because it was recorded with a laugh track and hence the pacing of the line delivery is often addapted to the audience laughter) but over all I think they are far superior versions, especially Back In The Red Remastered and Xtended, which in my view, much lke BTE, works sooo much better as a single, "feature length" episode.

So anyway,I'm interersted to know what others here think, as I don't want to recommend these versions just because I happen to personally prefer them. Do you think it would it be better to watch the broadcast versions first?

2. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

On first getting the DVDs, I always watched the extended, remastered versions, partly because I felt they were nearer to the creator's original conception ofthe episodes. Whether that's true, I don't know. Last time I watched all the series through I chose the broadcast versions for a change. I found the episodes funnier. This is partly because of the pacing issues you point out. This is especially important to me with series VII, because it's the series in which most of the humour falls flat for me. Although in some cases the laughter actually accentuates the deficiencies in some lines, in others it improves the timing enough to make them more bearable.

I do think that the extended, feature length episodes work better in series VIII if you're already a fan, but given how different in style series VIII is to the rest of Dwarf, they're probably easier for a newcomer to watch in their bitesize, broadcast versions. So, I'd say advise your friend to start with the broadcast versions, and go on to watch them in alternative versions when the urge arises.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

you say that but i do believe that the starbug ending to tika to ride was filmed a year later during the red dwarf night stuff, so i dont know if you could call it original concept or just doug thought it would be a cool new scene with the whole starbug seperating

but really was there anything wrong with the original ending?

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I don't believe that's true at all. What gave you the impression that it is?

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

well first of all the cast say on the commantary that they have no memory of doing that scene, nor does danny know anything about it which makes me think it wasnt in the original script, then there is the fact that the set and costumes look pretty much the same as in the smeg ups special that was on during red dwarf night (and sometimes appears on dave) esp the fact that they both feature only kryten,lister and rimmer with no cat in sight

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrXiOgoX8m4

6. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

I always put th xtended versions on, the reason being more is better in my opinion. More minutes of RD per episode. I mean whats not to like? :-D

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

id say for first time viewing its best to watch as it was originally broadcast and if the person wants to see a directors cut then they can watch the extended after :-D

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I do too for the same reason and, besides, I think series 7 works well without an audience. The only problem is that the pauses that the cast leave for the audience's reaction seem clumsy when there's no laughter to fill them. And it's the same thing with the scene in Tikka when Kryten's swinging his groinal attachment about. It seems so odd and drawn-out without the audience's reaction.

9. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Quite right. The Tikka Xtended ending was filmed with cast, sets and costumes as part of a block of filming for the Xtended VHS - which also had Kryten intros - and BBC2 Smeg Ups special, which I suspect (but have never confirmed) was made as a Christmas special before Red Dwarf Night was on the cards.

But, lest it be mistaken for an add-on, the ending was - in some form - written in the original early versions of Tikka. Indeed, the vis-FX department worked on a model Starbug designed specifically to split up. It was dropped for cost and time reasons before the model was ever filmed (or, possibly, even completed).

While I don't doubt that the scene was reworked to suit the changes of production - the broadcast episode had an ending of its own, after all - the concept, main gag and big story reveal were all part of Tikka's original concept.

10. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Well, After reading this thread back and giving it some thought, I think Paul et al are probably right. I think for first time viewing it would likely be for the best to watch the original broadcast versions. Then if she so chooses she can always go back and watch the Xtended versions at a later date.

Thanks for the replies, peeps :-)

As for the Xtended Tikka ending, I do prefer the full length ending, although, and this is amazingly nit picky for me when it comes to Red Dwarf, but I do feel they should've perhaps cut to the end credits a little sooner...One or two curry dips too many methinks. But still, great ending non the less :-)

11. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

This does remind me of when Knowing Me, Knowing You (With Alan Partridge) was broadcast.

When it was first repeated a lot of scenes were cut and there was a bit of frustration and gnashing of teeth amid the fans (Well, those who noticed anyway) and luckily the episodes were relased in full on VHS if you wanted it all.

So any time I look back now at the TV version it seems like only half as funny as the DVD I have.

Red Dwarf at least did it the right way, had the cut down version first then released the extended later as a bonus.
    It is much to feel you're gaining some extras rather than having bits chopped off and the scenes you don't see are a trick of your memory or something!!

12. jaykhunter

jaykhunter Second Technician

I agree freeborn, I much prefer the remastered extended editions of the last 3 seasons. The episodes take as long as they need to. It's weird having no laugh track sometimes but sure S7 is a different beast altogether. Have to say tht BitR still feels like 3 episodes together, not so much a smooth transition between eps.

13. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

You stand corrected Mod Bluey!