Year End Report

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Dec 20, 2018.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Its close enough to the end of the year for us to look back over the past 12 months and reflect on our fortunes and misfortunes. Maybe even grade the year for the record. :-) I'll start.

The past 12 months have been pretty good for me I must admit. I finally retired, completely and totally. I worked 9 days for an old friend, made $1,200 for about ……. oh.... 35 hours of having fun. Can't beat that! Am getting my Social Security now and have been since August. I'd like to say that's free money, but I paid into it for 40 something years so its not really free. My new(ish) hearing aids seem to have stopped my hearing loss or at least slowed it down considerably. My COPD is stable, thank goodness. I made a short, too short, trip back to my hometown Denver this past summer and actually hooked up , quite by accident!, with an old friend. That was very nice. My Mom is still hanging in there, wasn't sure she would make it through the year actually. Cut down on my tobacco use to 3 cigarettes a day and will quit totally very soon.
    My best friend in real life died down in Florida. Made a short trip down there for the funeral. He was the last of my real friends and I miss him.

All in all it was a pretty decent year for me. Mostly laughs with a few tears …… but that's life isn't it? I'll give it a B or 8.5 out of 10. How was yours?

2. neilold

neilold Science Officer

My year but was dull, lots of trips to the toilet, that's about it

3. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I’ll give you that one @neilold the red nosed reindeer that made me laugh out loud!!!

4. neilold

neilold Science Officer

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The story of my year: I did things.

Pembers likes this.
  6. Sammer4Rimmer

Sammer4Rimmer Supply Officer

The decadently subversive Marc Almond releasing an album with the blokeishly middle-of-the-road Jools Holland? Has there been a more ill-advised duo? It’s like Noam Chomsky co-authoring a paper with Danny Dyer.

7. BigOleDummy

Can't help but notice that Mr. @Christmas Pants has not told us how his year was. SURELY someone as interesting and popular as he would have things to share with us about his year. Wouldn't you think?

8. neilold

neilold Science Officer

No, he's a git

9. BigOleDummy

A Git for not sharing his I'm sure highly interesting year with us maybe. But you know our Ant..... just HAS to be contrary :nod:.

As an aside, just what is a "git"? And who the hell is "Gordon Bennet" while we're at it?

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

You can of course Google these kinds of expressions, Dummy.

11. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Dunno, Gordon Bennett was supposedly a beer maker, that one is regularly conjectured. There used to be a mild common English insult for someone, which was the word 'get', I presume someone at some point just changed it a bit to git

12. BigOleDummy

Yeah I know. Well Bing them as I don't use Google. But...….. shhhhhhhh ……. trying to get @Christmas Pants to notice me :nod:

13. BigOleDummy

That's actually kind of interesting. Figured as much about "git" but the "Gordon Bennett" one was a complete mystery.

14. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Most phrases origins are generally accepted, but Gordon Bennett, for some reason, is hotly debated. I've seen loads of stuff on the TV and internet arguing what its actual origin is. Dunno why that, more than any other, but such is life

15. neilold

neilold Science Officer

I think a lot of phrases, English ones anyways, are naval and come from our reputation as great and historical sailors

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I can't say I ever hear anyone use the expression 'Gordon Bennett'. Not these days anyway. Is it still a common exclamation in some parts of England?

17. neilold

neilold Science Officer

No it's died out. Lots come from out history though. So i imagine most American ones are based on land stealing, doing as they're told by the English, and coming in at the very end of wars then claiming it was them that won it

18. BigOleDummy

I've heard Holly use it more than once. Always kinda wondered tbh.

Still clinging to your past greatness huh? The key word in this is "historical". You can only ride your past for so long you know. But hey, you DO come in at number 4 these days as far as Navies are concerned. Right behind 1-United States, 2-China, 3- Russia , 4- United Kingdom. Just barely edging out Japan btw.
    https://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-five-most-powerful-navies-the-planet-10610

Hmmmmmmm, Doing as we're told ……… "The American Revolution" and "The War of 1812" ring any bells? I guess you told us to win those huh? :-D We do have a few phrases relating to land stealing though I must admit. "Claim Jumping" for one, when you take land/mines/areas that belong to others. "Independence" from winning a war with you guys and taking your land. And yes finally and shamefully most Americans think that it was us that won WW I and WWII without much help from you guys. I said most not all as a few of us realize it was the Soviet Union that had the most to do with defeating Germany in WW II. WE won the Pacific war though, as most British ships were just cannon fodder for the Japanese as you must admit. I still like you guys though, even if your delusions of grandeur are based on outdated and passe clinging to of past greatness.

19. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

It sounds as though things are going your way @BigOleDummy, I hope it continues to do so. I'm sorry to hear you've lost a good friend.:-( I wish you the very best for 2019.

This year has turned my world upside down. At the end of last year I hooked up with an old flame, and at new year we became an item. Since then I moved in with her in her flat, gaining a couple of step kids in the process, as well as a few cats. We spent much of the summer fostering and rehoming unlucky and unwanted kittens and cats and buying an adorable miniature Shetland pony. She found a job as a riding instructor, and we got engaged. The last couple of months have been rough. We had trouble with new neighbours, but luckily by then we had a house to move to. We'd have liked more time to get it ready before moving but we can sort that out in the new year. My fiancée became ill, and has been in hospital several times, and that's ongoing for now. But we're home now, in our new house, with the kids, thirteen cats, two rabbits, a bearded dragon and a hognosed snake, having had a pleasant Yule, and we're looking forward. We're hoping to be hand-fasted next year. This year I've learned that people are there for you when you need them, sometimes even the most surprising people.

BigOleDummy likes this.
  20. BigOleDummy

Thank you for the good wishes 8-). And welcome back btw :thumbup:.

Its can be ……. surprising and somewhat humbling at times …. to find and see the innate goodness that's in the vast majority of people. Sounds like you've had a very momentous and uplifting year excepting possibly the last few months. I sincerely hope your fiancée's health problems are temporary and your new year brings nothing but joy and happiness.

Paul Taylor likes this.