Yes or No

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Rageofangels, May 3, 2011.

1. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Holly- Oh yes. 1st choice would be for Hattie to return. 2nd choice would be for a new face for Holly altogether...but only if Hattie has been offered and is unable to do it. My 3rd choice would be....no Holly at all. After hearing Doug's Commentary on BtE, I think Norman should be left out of it all from now on. I loved his early performances and am happy to leave it at that....Oh,aAnd his later appearances too. As long as it is left at that.

Kochanski- No. I think BtE sets up a perfect situation for the boys, especially Lister! Not since the early days has he had a goal or purpose in life. Back then it was to rekindle his love with an ex who had been dead for 3 million years and for them to buy a farm in Fiji and settle down. I think later Dwarf missed this purpose for Lister's character and BtE has brought a purpose back.....a purpose other than just annoying the hell out of Rimmer. If Kochanski does return, I think it should be for the big series finale. Like the end of series VI when they eventually found Red Dwarf.

Ace Rimmer- No. I am not adverse to seeing a return of the character. But not just for the sake of shoe horning him into the series....even if it was a one off. If it ties in with the story and isn't written for just for the sake of it, I'd be happy. But I'm not that fussed on seeing him again. At least, not for a while.

Polymorphs- No. Been done twice. Once was a glorious story concept that is, and always will be, one of the fans favourites. The second occasion wasn't as good. It was a nice little homage that was used as a story device to enable us to see the return of a couple of loved persona's. All nice as a one off. But shouldn't be repeated

Duane Dibbley- No. For the same reasons as the Polymorph. Been done twice....Second time was a nice homage, but not as good as first time round. Only we did already get a third appearance kind of in series VIII. And I use this as evidence of why 3 times is too much...

A story arc- No. Story arcs are all well and good provided they are done correctly. Buffy is probably a prime example of how a story arc should work. Individual stand alone episodes which also have an on going series thread. But with Dwarf running at 30 minute episodes, I don't think this will work. The only way to make it work in 30 minute episodes is to have a episodes that are stand alone and other seperate episodes that are following the ongoing story arc. Kind of like X Files was... For a short 6 part series made up of 30 minute episodes....I don't like the thought of it. Unless it is the simple story arc of tracking Kochanski like Series VI where they have the ongoing chase of Red Dwarf.

More regulars- Not as a part of the crew on their current journey. Maybe as memories or flashbacks. But I do feel that they need to bring back the feeling of loneliness and loss from the first series

More trips back to earth- I really don't see why it is always earth that has to be revisited. Backwards was fun. BtE worked. Tikka To Ride worked also. But, unless there is a good reason it has to be Earth, why not have adventures on planets that have been colonised/terraformed by humans over the last 3 million years. Kind of like Waxworld

Talkie Toaster. Yes. I love every scene we have seen Talkie Toaster in...and the banter set up between Talkie and Holly in the novels is classic!! If there is some way to get that chemistry back on our screens, then I'm all for that!!

SKutters. I corrected the spelling as I have been the victim to some very serious verbals in the past. One of them being our choice of spelling skutter!! Skutters need to be there in the same way as we need signs that read "Sleeping Quarters" or "Captains Office". They are a part of the Red Dwarf furniture. Furniture that also offers some amusing background humour. I must say, however, that I would prefer them to not look as liquid or shiney or reflective or new as the BtE sKutters. That was one of the things I didn't like in BtE.

2. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

Holly - Yes but only if it's Hattie
    Kochanski - Yes
    Ace Rimmer - No, I've seen more than enough of him. I liked him the first time but that was enough.
    Polymorphs - Don't mind
    Duane Dibbley - No, same reason as Ace
    A story arc - not bothered
    More regulars - no bothered
    More trips back to earth - No
    Talkie Toaster - Yes
    Scutters - Yes!

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Holly- Ambivilent. I'd be happy enough to see her/him but only if well written which I don't think that Holly was in the latter series in which she/he appeared. I disagree that Kryten and Holly are two sides of the same character but characters must be in the show for a reason and not just shoehorned in for nostalgia.

Kochanski- absolutely no...even in flashbacks. Kochanski works for me as exactly the largely characterless dream quest for Lister to chase that she was in the early series. I see no real evidence that Doug Naylor writes good female characters and I'm glad that the character has been seemingly returned to her original purpose.

Ace Rimmer- No. The joke is old and has been done to death just like Duane Dibley.

Polymorphs- No and no more smegging gelfs either please. Simulants were also starting to feel like a lazy plot device by series 7 too. I'd rather the new series avoided "non-alien-lifeforms" of any kind and went back to the character stuff of series 1 and 2. Having said that, a great new idea is always welcome.

Duane Dibbley- NO!

A story arc- Absolutely. Kochanski arc aside I'd love to see something cool done within the six episodes, perhaps a little hint in each episode as to the appearance of something big that could turn out to be important in the final show.

More regulars- Minimal...and please find a way to officially kill off the series 8 crew. I don't mind a cameo from a deranged Ackerman whose been mutated by some sort of weird space virus :-)

More trips back to earth- I think the reason Earth is often used is because its a cheap shooting location that doesn't reply on as much set dressing (Same reason He-man also went to earth in that terrible Doplh Lungren movie!). However for this season I don't see why the boys would need to leave Red Dwarf. Let the events come to them they way they used to.

Talkie Toaster. Don't care.

SKutters. CGI - no, Models - yes. That probably means a no, then

4. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Holly - Of course. My first choice would be Norm, but i would be more than happy to see the lovely Hattie return to the roll.

Kochanski - Well, i'm a fan of Kochanski ( yes even in series 7) but feel it would be nice to see the origional cast together again, and also like the story arc idea of the search for her. I think the odd teasing little cameo throughout the series could work well, perhaps in a similar way to what was done with Rose in (the new) Doctor Who series 4.

Ace Rimmer - No, i think that charactor has run it's course. Although knowing Doug (not personally)i suppose he could surprise us all.

Polymorphs - I actually wouldn' mind another Polynorph ep if done well. I could be good to finalize a trilogy.

Duane Dibbley - As with Ace, No

A story arc - Pretty much as Ori-STUDFARM said above. I feel personally that it's a shame Doug will only get to make 6 eps. Red Dwarf could lend itself to so many more than that, espesialy with the comedy space adventure direction the show has been heading in for years. I like the idea of a story arc, yet with Buffy esq stand alone episodes too, which can't be an easy task with so few episodes.

More regulars - I don't think their needs to be more regulars, but i think their has always been a nice ballance of guest stars throughout all the series (baring in mind the differences of each series)

More trips back to Earth - No, i want to see more planets darn it!, and whats more i don't want to hear any of the old school rules such as "no Aliens" I want Aliens, Smegger!...or just more charactor based eps set in different areas of the ship, including the sleeping quarters of course:-).

Talkie Toaster - I don't see why not, unless it becomes milked too much, and as long as it fits the story or a funny or interesting scene.

Scutters - Of course. I'd prefer models, but don't mind the CGI either.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

That's one thing I like about gelfs. You can effectively have aliens without breaking the 'no aliens' rule. Think about it. In a sense, the polymorph and Pleasure Gelfs are much more alien than a lot of the humanoid aliens we get in Star Trek. (I know they originate on Earth, I'm referring more to their appearance and the kind of creatures they are. Alien as in, more estranged from us.)

I really hope we get to see more gelfs, but something new. Not just the return of the Kinitawowi (much as I like them). It will be interesting to see what modern effects will come up with. I'll understand if the budget doesn't stretch that far though, and I'm not suggesting they be crowbarred in. They should serve the story.

6. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Agreed. Good point. Although i do think it would be nice for the boys from the dwarf to meet some genuine Aliens from out of space. But i'd be more than happy to see more varieties if GELFS, as i agree they are certainly very Alien-esq. In fact as a kid, wgen i first watched the original Polymorph i must've completely missed that it was genetically engineered and from Earth, so yeah i guess in that respect the no Alien rule does serve a purpose, so maybe any new beings/creatures wouldn't have to be specifically Aliens from out of space...I'd still like to see the crew discover or land on some new planets though.

7. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Holly: There is plenty still to do with Holly, provided s/he is developed into a complementary character who doesn't compete with Kryten for exposition. Norman's Holly didn't work so well in series VIII, and it's difficult to see how they would revive Hattie's Holly. I really think an entirely different personality is required, even if they bring back a previous actor for the part.

Kochanski: As long as it's Chloe, I think she coould play an important part. But, she needs to be more rounded, more confident in her circumstances and not just a goal for lister.

Ace Rimmer: Ace Rimmer has been done as far as it's worth doing him in my opinion. I can't imagine what use he could be to the narrative. He's proven his point, which is largely that Rimmer could be so much more if he spent more time improving himself constructively and less time choosing the easy option of making excuses.

Polymorphs: I'm done with polymorphs, really. Any future polymorph episode is likely to be like most monster movie sequels; just a continual dilution of the original concept.

Duane Dibbley: As someone who quite liked the "Dibley family" scene from series VIII, I implore the powers that be to include no more Duane smegging Dibley!

A story arc: Why not? Could be fun.

More regulars: With the exception of those characters already mentioned (Holly and Kochanski) I would rather no more regular characters turn up. Unless, perhaps, if there is a story arc a regular villain might be good.

More trips back to earth: The whole thing might be set on earth for all we know! Otherwise, it's been done in one way or another enough times now, that Lister's wish to get home no longer makes a lot of sense.

Talkie Toaster: Once or twice, why not.

Scutters: You better have scutters!:shock:

It's not in my nature to give "yes or no" answers to questions unless I'm taking the mick, so this'll have to do.

8. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Thats one thing I loved about The Last Human novel. The universe set up there has a society and alien life....all of it originating in one form or another from Earth. Throw this variety of GELF's in along with the Cat race, adn I'm sure I'd be happy. Also, instead of Rimmer, imagine his and McGruder's disillusioned marine son turning up.....What a character.

That said, it would not be anything like any of the Dwarf we all love so much. And is 6x 30 minute episodes enough to explore this kind of new environment?

9. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Holly - AMBIVALENT. He worked well in s1-2, she worked well in s3-5, but then when he came back in s8 he was crap!
    Kochanski - NO
    Ace Rimmer - NO, the last 2 times he appeared, he was crap
    Polymorphs - NO
    Duane Dibbley - NO
    A story arc - AMBIVALENT
    More regulars - NO, this is one of the things that ruined series 7 and 8
    More trips back to earth - NO, unless it's done in some inventive "holodeck" type way
    Talkie Toaster - YES, why not
    Scutters - YES, they can be charming

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I was actually thinking of that novel when I wrote the above post! It would be nice to see that sort of thing (although I wonder at the reasoning behind some of those various kind. A chimpanzee with a dolphin head? Heh. Actually thinking about it, maybe some of those would be a bit too bizarre for the telly. Hee, hee.)

I don't think that entire scenario would be doable in the series, no. The technology exists, I just don't think the budget would stretch that far. Should the series take off and new series get commissioned, possibly. (Getting ahead of myself there. :-) ) We needn't see an entire space-port of the characters though. Maybe a crew on a gelf ship where you only see 2-3 on screen at any one time. (Much like they did in Aliens for that matter, although they had 5-6 alien actors there.)

11. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

Holly - Definitely. It's Norman or no-one, though.
    Kochanski - Yes.
    Ace Rimmer - No. Been there, done that.
    Polymorphs - See Ace Rimmer.
    Duane Dibbley - See Polymorphs and Ace. Let's try for some fresh concepts rather than leaning on exercises in nostalgia.
    A story arc - No. See series 8's shortcomings with the plodding story arcs. It doesn't work in Dwarf.
    More regulars - What does this even mean?
    More trips back to earth - No.
    Talkie Toaster - No, for the same reasons Duane, Polymorph, and Ace wouldn't be good.
    Scutters - Sure, as long as they aren't shoe-horned in.

If Series X returns to a writing style similar to series 5 and 7 with awesome, interesting half-hour stories it can't go wrong. Production values like 7 and BTE would be a big plus, I think it should be studio filmed and then shown to a live audience later for the laugh track. That worked really well for 7. I'd love to see Norman return as Holly. I never understood the Kryten-makes-Holly-superfluous angle.

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Good clever story - yes please :-)
    good sci fi - yes please :-)
    abit better then bte - yes please ;-)

13. bond_villain

bond_villain Third Technician

Don't post much here, but I figured news of a new series was reason enough to stop lurking for a bit :-)

Holly - NO - They ran out of stuff for Holly to do. This isn't going to magically change, though explaining why the computer is offline could be tricky.

Kochanski - YES - One or two short guest appearances/cameos could work nicely.

Ace Rimmer - NO.

Polymorphs - MAYBE - If they can come up with a different breed/angle, I think it could work.

Duane Dibbley - NO.

A story arc - YES - If it's reasonably subtle. Another problem could be that the stories in Dwarf are such big concepts that it's often difficult to tell them in half an hour. Can an arc be woven in successfully?

More regulars - NO.

More trips back to earth - NO - Not this time around, at least.

Talkie Toaster - NO - He's a one-joke character. 'OMG, he loves toast LOL!!!!' Twice was more than enough.

Scutters - SHRUG - I don't love em, I don't hate em. They are part of the ship, though, so it would be odd if they weren't there.

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It's interesting you should say this as I listened to an episode idea for Series X that had been described by Doug Naylor at DJ. (Not first hand, as I wasn't there, but I listened to someone who spoke with him on a Dwarfcast recording on the G&T website.)

It featured a way that could well involve Holly in an interesting way. It didn't specifically state that Holly would be there, but the storyline idea certainly lends to that. (Times like this I wish we had a spoiler tag in this forum. Never mind.)

EDIT- Actually, I've just thought of a way. Highlight between the braces if you'd like to read the idea.

{ The story involves the crew finding a room containing various updates that have arrived over the years. I.e, just as Microsoft Windows and applications gets periodical updates to be installed, the same is true for Red Dwarf. I assume in this case it's at least partly hardware that's arrived in post pods, etc, as technology advances, but I don't know for sure. (I'm curious as to WHY this has passed them by, for so long - no doubt Holly should have been aware - but it goes well with the theme of advanced technology being a bit rubbish that permeates Red Dwarf. Maybe they required human authorisation to be installed, and for millennia Lister was in stasis, and when he got out, Holly wasn't entirely himself.) Anyway they install these updates hoping to bring Dwarf up to spec (and better) but of course things go wrong....
    }

By the way, don't quote this post if you haven't read the spoiler. The text will appear in your post.

15. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Holly - Yes. Hattie, if you please.
    Kochanski - No, no and NO! Her character always worked better as a memory, with Lister having missed his opportunity.
    Ace Rimmer - Nah... been there, done that.
    Polymorphs - Be nice to see similar characters... monsters they come across. I did like those types of storylines (polymorph, despair squid, etc)
    Duane Dibbley - Nup. Overused character as it is.
    A story arc - Small references to past episodes, ok. Repetition and multi-part stories, not a fan.
    More regulars - I prefer one off guest characters.
    More trips back to earth - Dunno... when they work they're great, like Backwards and Timeslides. There are also ones I didn't enjoy so much... so I dunno about that one!!
    Talkie Toaster - Maybe a brief appearance.
    Scutters - Yes, but only if they go for the classic look :-)

Also... BRING BACK THE BUNKS!!! The Rimmer/Lister bunk bed scenes were always very special!

16. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Except when they wern't. Seriously the idea that bunkroom scene = instant greatness is a worrying one, especially when its not just fans who express it.

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i agree, and i hope doug dont feel pressured into adding rimmer/lister bunkroom scenes as i think thats when the gags end up feeling forced and have nothing to give to the plot.

i wouldnt want the show to become a predictable rimmer and lister need a bunkroom scene in every episode sorta thing, as alot of the shows, infact the best shows survived without them

18. supercat

supercat Console Officer

You never learn, do you?

19. bigtimedwarfer

bigtimedwarfer Second Technician

Heh:lol:

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'd love to see the return of the bunk room scenes if they were of the same quality as the earlier rather than the later ones. The bunk room conversations were mostly wonderful in series 1 and 2, but terrible in series 8 (such as the 'Duel' and 'skid starts' conversations).