Yes or No

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Rageofangels, May 3, 2011.

1. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Well, that's the 3rd time I've typed sCutter instead of sKutter in this forum! One day I'll get it right!

RAGE

2. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

To be fair on Doug, some of the bunk room scenes in weren't that bad. BITR3 opener 'he beat me up!' is better than 1's '83!'. Cassandra was classy bar the long dog sequence - 'Conjugal rights!' Krytie TV 'has he died?' '& they're mine!' served its episode well. It's downhill from there. Mind you, no series without its flaws - black card springs to mind.

Personally, I thought the Duel gag was good. Starting from Lister's itch to the video case reveal is decent. The rest imho is terrible.

Perhaps there's the bunk room rule for Doug: Stick tight to the episode plot & try not to deviate far.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

but did those bunkroom scenes need to be there at all? i know i for one just wanted to get to the plot and find out what happened after BITR2, which i fear is something doug does alot and thats stop a story to throw in long Dialogue of gags before getting to the plot then realising that he cant fit the plot into one story so has to make it a 2 parter.

i know some of the past seasons did same thing like say Out Of Time' which had the long rimmer rant at start, but for the pace in which the episode went i think it didnt really take much away :-)

4. supercat

supercat Console Officer

I was referring to the early ones. I had forgotten about the s8 ones... I couldn't tell you what was discussed in them. I suppose they worked better in the earlier series' because they were there to allow us to get to know the characters.

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The earlier ones worked better in my opinion because they well-written, funny and didn't rely on toilet humour. Perhaps the biggest difference though was the very palpable antagonism between Lister and Rimmer in those earlier scenes, something that was lacking in the series 8 conversations.

6. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I agree bluey

RAGE

7. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

When you get into 'need' you're in a whole other conversation. Backwards works entirely without the Wilma Flintstone chat, likewise discussions about Hammy Hamster, Esperanto, the comic book Aeneid, getting eating utensils from the medical unit, etc. etc.

What they do is add colour, flavour and character. They flesh out the world...and generate laughs.

I'm not - I hope it's clear - making a stance on the merits of any individual scenes, Series VIII or otherwise. But I think it's worth acknowledging that the show has always taken a 'time out' to have some funny chat, so the issues some have with certain episodes' bunk scenes probably isn't down to the 'need' for the scene to be there.

8. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

I think it's a question more of editing.
    It worked in Out of Time because we were waiting for the story to start. Back in the red delayed the continuation of the plot for not a brilliant distraction. As opposed to part 3 which had a decent bunk scene between two not brilliant continuations of the plot.

9. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

For me its a case of does the scene 'earn its living'. The Wilma Flintstone scene, absolutely. The Duel gag...not really. The first kind felt like something too funny to leave out, yet still something that felt relevent to the characters situation, the latter something that desperately wanted to be the first but which could have been plucked from any old Saturday night sitcom.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its similar to the BTE2 air machine gag

apparently air machines dont exist in the future, although they did appear in series 8

11. nine-eleven-four

nine-eleven-four Skutter

Holly: Yes, love Holly
    Kochanski: No not as a main character, if it's a continuation/ variation from series 5 then she doesn't need to be a main character at all. I'm sure she'll be referenced a lot
    Ace Rimmer: No, but another parallel Rimmer would be fun ;-)
    Polymorphs: In a creative way maybe ...
    Duane Dibbley: Noooo
    A story arc: A hint of a basic story or direction of the series would be nice.
    More regulars. No thanks! I hate it when they ad a new annoying character for no reason.
    More trips back to earth.....
    Talkie Toaster. Please!
    SKutters: Yes!

12. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

Holly: Maybe but only if they can think of decent material for him or her, not just as a fan service
    Kochanski: Most definitely. Really hope it is the search for Kochanskis. Lister reunites at the end.
    Ace Rimmer: No. Once was good. Twice was ok. Then they brought him back and ruined his character
    Polymorphs: No. Been done. Don't do it again. Try and be original.
    Duane Dibbley: God no. Please no. Once was ok for novelty that was it.
    A story arc: Yes please. See my comment on search for Kochanski.
    More regulars: No. Four regulars is enough 4 a 30 minute show.
    More trips back to earth: Possibly in last episode.
    Talkie Toaster: Yes the guy was a genius. One proviso, as long as they can think of an interesting story for him.
    SKutters (hangs head in shame). Maybe if they can think of a way of basing a story around them.

13. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

14. ourrrob

ourrrob Second Technician

Holly - Bring back Hatt.
    Kochanski - Nope.
    Ace Rimmer - Oh yes.
    Polymorphs - Nah. Had my fill of that.
    Duane Dibbley - Don't be daft.
    A story arc - Hate the arc.
    More regulars - Eh?
    More trips back to earth - Nope.
    Talkie Toaster - Take a lump-hammer to it.
    SKutters (hangs head in shame) - If they must.

15. dwarfer_steve

dwarfer_steve First Technician

In a galaxy far away Turn left at Pluto & keep goi
    Holly - yes as hattie or some-one new
    Kochanski - no, unless played by another actress
    Ace Rimmer - no
    Polymorphs - no
    Duane Dibbley - no
    A story arc - depends on story
    More regulars - no
    More trips back to earth - no
    Talkie Toaster - yes
    SKutters - yes

16. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

Holly- Yes, preferably Hattie.
    Kochanski- No
    Ace Rimmer- Only if it's the same Rimmer who left in SMAC; that could be very interesting....
    Polymorphs- No
    Duane Dibbley- No
    A story arc- Yes
    More regulars- No
    More trips back to earth- Noooooooo
    Talkie Toaster- Only in very small doses
    SKutters- Deffo!

17. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

Holly - Only if there is a studio audience as I think Norman or Hattie would struggle otherwise. Despite Norman's silliness, I would favour him returning as he co-created the character. Norman is Holly. Hattie just continued where he left off.

Kochanski - No. The character works better as a fantasy.

Ace Rimmer - Definitely not.

Polymorphs - Ditto.

Duane Dibbley - Ditto.

A story arc - No. It should just be 6 stand alone stories imo. Certainly no multi-part episodes anyway.

More regulars - No.

More trips back to earth - No.

Talkie Toaster - No.

SKutters - I don't think they contributed anything to Series VIII or Back to Earth so no. Spend the time and money on something else.

18. Belen90

Belen90 Third Technician

Holly - Yes, either Hattie or Norman. I like them both.
    Kochanski - No
    Ace Rimmer - No
    Polymorphs - Don't mind
    Duane Dibbley - No, funny at first but the joke has been done to death.
    A story arc - No, standalone episodes are better.
    More regulars - No
    More trips back to earth - No
    Talkie Toaster - Don't mind, maybe even bring back the vending machine with the lisp.
    SKutters (hangs head in shame) - Don't mind

19. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I think you've both maybe misunderstood what people mean by 'story arc'. It doesn't necessarily mean something like Pete part one and two or Back in the Red, it can be something as simple as the hunt for Red Dwarf that took place across series six and seven (although hopefully something more involved than that).

For example in Futurama there was a story arc that spanned several seasons involving Fry. The show still had individual episode concepts that worked as standalones for every episode within this arc but was still able to do something big and clever in the background by now and again dropping clues to a bigger story. It's not therefore a case of one or the other.

20. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

I understand that. I mentioned multi-part episodes as a separate but vaguely related point (and admittedly because I wanted to get across the point that Dwarf works best in 30 minute chunks and there was no other way to do that in this thread).

Realistically, it would be strange if some reference to searching for Kochanski weren't made. And I suppose it could give the series some direction...