You deserve to get shot if you loke this

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by acerimmer_165, Mar 28, 2009.

1. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

Yeah ...

I thought Kryten was funny in this too.

But seen as it's Robert Llewellyn, it's more original RD rather than Red Dwarf USA :-D

2. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

If you thought that was bad, the americans have another bash, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE4oVbFT61M

Sorry, i made another post about this, should have put it here to start with. You dont want to miss it though, or do you?

3. acerimmer_165

4. jaybo1973

Thats the one.

5. acerimmer_165

Sorry for pinching your video, I didn't realise there was a whole other post on it.

Frankly, I'm blinder than the poor bugger who had the sharp page of Oscar Wilde witticisms that were rolled up into a point, sprinkled with lemon juice and jabbed into his eye

*Takes deep breath*

6. jaybo1973

Yeah, i was a bit naughty posting it twice though. I started the new thread after to keep this post on topic, although the 2 are sort of related

7. Lee

Lee Third Technician

haha it missed out the "would you put it back together after youd finished?" which made the "well with all due respect whats in it for the cat" line funny, plus krytens suit looks crapola. and do holograms have a silver dot instead of a H? its a bit like a school play version of red dwarf.

8. Ronstar

Ronstar Third Technician

Controversy mode: I liked it, and think it completely peed all over Duct Soup.

Ronnie

9. Burnie

Burnie Skutter

I thought it was really good! Started off a little slow but loads of potential. I loved the US actor's takes on the characters, with the notable exception of Eigerman as Rimmer, who was AWFUL. Some of the lines were absolute crackers: 'I've been reading that exit sign', 'Actually that one was quite good' and so on. I'd even suggest that it is atleast on a par with V and VI in the humor stakes.

It was quite awkward watching the actors try to re-do material from the UK version like the Rimmer stretcher scene, mind.

10. jeremy

jeremy Catering Officer

I believe it doesn't work I just feel it's to clean. I think Red Dwarf is something that is unique and can't be recreated. I think that there are some good jokes in there but besides that I don't think it works.

11. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

The guy who played Rimmer in the first pilot was aweful, although I should point out the 'not the career setback it used to be' wasn't spoken by him, it was the first officer. Bierko was alright I thought, as was the guy who played Cat (Danny liked him too!). Robert was as awesome as always. The Kochanski didn't work for me, not saying she was badly acted, just that she was too normal. Both our Kochanskis have been, well, unusual characters!

I enjoyed watching it (again), but I'm so happy it didn't go to series. Imagine having that instead of VI, VII, VIII and BTE. No Psirens, no Gunmen, no Cassandra. Thank goodness things went the way they did!

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I haven't seen the episdoe all the way through, but I saw a clip of the Cat doing the 'shiny thing' with the yoyo scene, and it was very poor. There was little of the enthusiasm Danny put into it.

On the other hand I thought the actor was excellent as that red 'lord of the dance' demon in the musical episode of Buffy. Really good.

13. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

The first pilot wasn't that bad. It was just in the hands of people who just don't get what makes Red Dwarf so great.
    Say nothing about the actors, they look like they needed help and didn't get it. Now if Rob and Doug were in charge of that shoot, It would be far better and commissioned long ago.

Oh and btw, Psirens was written in the states - it was apparently in a rewrite of 'Waiting for God'.

14. Baxters_Hooch

Also the theme music in the first pilot is awful! But yeah, I agree, the quality of the pilot is no reflection on the actors. Craig Bierko strikes me as being pretty damn good.

15. seanachai

seanachai Skutter

I think the main problems with the US adaptation were down to style and script, and that it lacked a clarity of vision. It didn't know whether to be a slavish imitation of the original or something new, so it just wound up being cheesy. I don't like all of the actors, but I think the fundamental problem is that it was just a recipe that wasn't going to work.

I think that there could be a successful US adaptation at some point, so long as it was done right. Although we're all hoping for another series, the sad truth is that the original series can't last forever. For the sake of getting to see Red Dwarf in some incarnation years in the future, I do hope that someday someone tries to make a good American adaptation. I think as long as they tried to make a good SHOW rather than "let's copy a successful UK series ---> PROFIT!" it could work. They would have to be brave and make it their own. I think a really good idea would maybe be to adapt the novels rather than the TV series. Then it would be different from the show and we'd get to see some cool things that appear in the novels adapted that otherwise we would never see.

And I have to admit, I have two actors picked out that I'd love to see in it. :P Fran Kranz as Rimmer and Felicia Day as Kochanski. (The fact that these are both Whedonverse actors probably indicates to everyone just how I'd like to see an adaption made.)

16. Baxters_Hooch

Why would it have to be American? Forty years from now I can see a British remake happening, a la Day of the Triffids or Blake's 7 now.

17. seanachai

seanachai Skutter

It could definitely be British, I agree. I just don't want to wait 40 years from now. ;-) And if one was made in say, the next decade, I think it might be kind of weird for the original cast to deal with a British revamp of the show -- while an American adaptation, while somewhat strange and touchy for them, would be a little easier to swallow. However, I DO think that it would be very cool if an American adaptation still had an international cast -- after all, in the future when Red Dwarf is taking place, the Space Corps is supposed to be an international organization, with Danes and Americans and people from various colonies. For example, I really have a hard time thinking of someone who is not a Scouser being Lister. At the very least, I would prefer him to be British. I think attempts to transfer Lister's personality into an American equivalent would inevitably lead to cliche.

US adaptations can, on occasion, work. The US Office certainly proved that -- even though I prefer the UK Office myself, I can't help but be a little proud that they managed to pull it off, despite such inauspicious beginnings. (Incidentally, the pilot episode of the US Office reminds me in some ways of Red Dwarf USA -- it was very awkward and flat and trying too hard to copy of the UK pilot. Once they freed themselves of that, they were able to take the show to a better place.)

edit: And sorry to continue with still more Whedony casting suggestions, but Alan Tudyk would make a GREAT Kryten. What can I say? I've been rewatching Red Dwarf at the same I've been rewatching Dollhouse.

18. Demon_Scutter

Demon_Scutter Third Technician

Felicia Day as Konchanski? I love her:-)

19. Baxters_Hooch

Alan Tudyk - he, like eight other actors, shouldv'e been able to enjoy a proper run of Firefly. There's a show which was denied the chance to shine.