Your Favorite Part of Back to Earth

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Smegerama, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Anyone who says "when it ended" should have a court-martial. Disengage joke mode.

I really can't decide if it was the incredibly awesome China Town scene or Rimmer getting his knackers slammed into the corner of a desk. Really, what could be funnier? (Waits for examples)

2. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    What if we said the beginning before we found out what it was going to be like? Or possibly the 'in my country we have a word for people like you' bit.

an ITV sitcom? Syphilis? Almost anything?

3. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Simon bringing his usual balance and reason to a thread that's just getting started, there.

4. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Hey I said there was one good bit. It's not my fault there was only one good bit.

5. jacksolomonsmith

jacksolomonsmith First Technician

Hmmm, there are bits that are great... The bit I LOVED on first viewing was when the rather dissapointing title sequence was over, and we saw the camera panning in and we see lister walking, I was just grinning ear to ear even with my rather beyond-tired disposition as I'd just finnished doing a all 8 series marathon none stop.(Just thought I'd get that one in ;D)

But my favorite has to be the Lister/Kochanski scene, I was almost crying, Craig's preformance and the whole scene is truly on a new level of emotion than any Red Dwarf yet.

And my least Favorite part? I don't want to insite hatred, but my heart sank when i saw the reaction on these boards, not the criticism, but the downright horribleness of the vocal few that saddened me.

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think the Lister Kochanski bit was my favourite bit too.

The parts that made me laugh the most are Lister's toilet story (it's very silly but such a funny image. Just imagine those dreadlocks flying up and down as he leaps up to catch a breeze) and Rimmer channeling Vera Duckworth.

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Actually that's not as insulting towards the show as it seems. For many people the bittersweet ending of back to earth (and possibly Red Dwarf as a whole) was their faivorate part, while others could only fully enjoy the episodes once they had been given the reassurance that everything was merely a hallucination.

Either way many people were most satisfied when it ended but for an entirely different reason to the one Simon offers.

8. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

LOL Does that mean I need to develop asthma or get really bad skin?

I may have been a bit vocal with my views on BTE but it is because I just feel let down. If it was something I didn't care about RD i wouldn't be going on (same reason I complain so much about midiclorians) but I know Doug can do so much better than BTE.

9. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

Remembrance Garden scene was the best scene by far. After that it has to be 'love chuck pal sir'!

10. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Whatever your feelings, I'm not sure repeatedly posting the same point constitutes a useful contribution. Particularly when you usually word it 'there was only one joke in Back to Earth'.

If you want your criticism to be taken seriously - as opposed to being taken as something reactionary and ill-thought-out - you're going the wrong way about it. And as such, not helping anyone to 'do better'.

11. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

That was a joke, Andrew. I didn't know people would take it the wrong way.

12. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Um...I was talking about Simon, who's on-screen name is Simon, not you, who's name I now realise might be Simon as well despite it not appearing on-screen.

13. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Oh...now I look like an idiot. Oh well, no change here. :-)

14. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

To be fair my insistence on typing 'who's' there rather than 'whose' isn't making me look especially good either... ;-)

15. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

Well... getting back to the thread and not turning this into another debate.

Both myself and my wife were laughing quite a lot throughout BTE with even a few cringes from my wife, especially with the sneezing gag. I thought that part was good because it still shows Lister trying to drive Rimmer crazy, yet Rimmer not really falling for it as much as he used too. The show has grown old and the characters along with it, and I felt this scene at least brought it out a little, just before the grave scene.

I did also like the 'Bit Crap' gag, it was just so simple, yet the kind of joke Kryten would have made in series 5. And I felt that the scanner joke in the show room was more series 8 standard, funny but not with the same kind of punch. I did also love the Rimmer shape hole the lightbee made, a very nice touch.

I did like the Carbug landing scene, not really incredibly funny but just the fact that they said it because it was in the shape of Starbug was a nice little addition. Much better than just parking and getting out in the usual boring way.

The chase scene was good, very nicely done. And the rakes and groin hitting was funny, but I found the death of the creator a little bland I guess, boring could be another word, a little squeeze to the head and he dropped like a fly. The ending though with Kochanski was good, and effectively ended the show how it kind of began, more emotional and lonely.

But they are my favourite parts and I am sure there will be a lot of replies now haha :lol:

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

That was nice.

A little aside here, but concerning the chase scene: it wasn't until the third/fourth time I saw BtE that I noticed that when Rimmer flickers when he is shot, you actually see his light bee! I figured he died because it was hit, but I never actually noticed the bee itself. Nice little touch.

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I rather liked that bit. She made poking around squid bits look sexy. Apparently it was rather unpleasant for Sophie Winkleman though as real fish was involved...

18. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Plus you really need a storytelling beat that clearly shows 'squid sample leads to dimension cutter'. Without it, it's only one step away from finding it in a box somewhere. (Remember the long, detailed spiel Katerina gave was there for the gag - chances are most people missed the detail of it.)

19. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

20. dwarfer_steve

dwarfer_steve First Technician

In a galaxy far away Turn left at Pluto & keep goi
    I may be sad but Rimmer pushing Katerina Bartikovsky in front of the car. If only I could have done that with some of my old work colleagues.