Your Favorite Part of Back to Earth

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Smegerama, Aug 27, 2009.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Yes, having a scene like this in Only The Good would made the "Mirror Universe" seem much more credible. It's a step in the right direction.

2. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

3. Deviblue

Deviblue Second Technician

ok to get to the bits I liked i need to mention the bits I didn't.
    For me I didn't like the corrie parts or the bladerunner homages, they felt too forced and squeezed in because they had an oportunity to do them rather than fitting the flow of the story. Sorry guys thats just how it felt for me.
    so what did I like? I liked a lot of the interactions of the dwarf crew while still on dwarf. The tomato/sneeze ironing joke was a bit drawn out for my liking though.
    rimmer listening to music while the others are attacked in the diving bell
    the psiscan jokes worked pretty well
    and lots of other moments but i think my favorite moment of the lot was right at the end when they're in the lift back on dwarf, and cat explains how the squid got on board. is not played for a huge laugh, and i can't quite put my finger on why that bit is what I like the best but its just there and its good.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

He already has: he's a Star Trek fan.

As for my favourite part, it's difficult to say. I loved practically everything about episode 1. Perhaps the Rimmer/Katerina scenes were my favourites. I felt they worked really well: Rimmer being put in his place by a person who's so much starter than he and who strongly dislikes him. Barrie's acting in these scenes was particularly good.

For some reason I also love this Kryten dialogue:

"I'd better start packing then. Oh, I already am packed."

5. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    Nothing wrong with Star Trek. Well TNG and the original series anyway.

6. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

The bit that made me laugh out loud was Lister hoping that there were a few car chases in 'Sense and Sensibility'.

Though, how come he didn't know how to pronounce Jane Austen? I mean, he visited Austenworld with Kochanski ten years previously. Oh well, Lister probably wasn't paying attention and just busy drooling over Kochanski and trying to impress her :lol:.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I found it quite credible. It was a few years back he encountered Austinworld. Also some people do tend to have a certain blind spot or forgettfulness towards certain things particularly if the subject either doesn't interest them or is just rather unfamiliar.

For example, I know someone who has problems with pronouncing certain words and names he is unfamiliar with, even if the word has been pronounced slowly for him. After repeating it he might get it right... then forget it a while later. This even included the name of his wife while they were courting. (Her name is Jacienth, pronounced 'Ja-sinth.') It took him weeks to pronounce her name right. Even during the early days of their marriage he got it wrong. (He kept referring to her as 'Jayseth' for quite a while.)

It's not lack of intelligence in his case, he has a lot of common sense and he has even played games against a chess computer and beaten it on the higher levels. Obviously it was lack of familiarity rather than lack of interest in his case. In Lister's I'd say it's a bit of both.

8. Spaceman

Spaceman Supply Officer

you think your'e simon cowell

9. jacksolomonsmith

jacksolomonsmith First Technician

Maybe he is, have you ever seen his face? Exactley.

10. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

My favourite scenes are both at the end of Ep3 - firstly where Lister breaks up when he's talking to Konchanski. His performance there blew me away and I get a lump in my throat just thinking about it. And secondly the scene that immediatley follows. I love the music as we fly through the clouds and into the Carbug, and the way Konchanski looks. I also love the way Lister delivers his final line to her (the one I'm using as my quote). Lovely use of pathos.

11. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins

Can't say I do. Not enough money and even I'm not that big a tosser.

12. voo7hees

voo7hees Third Technician

i had 2 favourite parts,
    1, where rimmer and cat and krten all speak in that accent when in that shop.
    2, where cat calls it a testicle instead of a tentacle

13. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

Who said they were the same thing? I think he's just saying out of Star Trek, those are the two good series. He's right, too. Though I lean towards TOS a bit more myself.

14. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

lol :lol:
    I'm just imagining someone going off on a tangent in a pub after someone else mentions Star Trek.

15. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

Whilst TNG and TOS are arguably the best ST series, I do find it a little annoying when people just write off the other three. DS9 may have been a departure from what came before and may have been a bit of a B5 rip-off but it had its moments, as did Voyager despite its problems too. However, in my personal opinion, Enterprise was a massive improvement and one of the best shows around at the time it was on. As someone who's seen every episode of Enterprise I whole-heartedly recommend it to any sci-fi fan, even if they didn't agree with DS9 and Voyager.

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I really liked Enterprise too! I think we're in the minority there though.

17. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

I dunno, towards the end a lot of people came out to try and save it, and its picked up even more fans in re-runs in areas it didn't air the first time around.