Your hero the Cloud just watched all Red Dwarf

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Snow Cloud, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Snow Cloud

Snow Cloud Console Officer

Yep so in some sort of insane excitement for the new series I tried to fill my head with as much dwarf as I possibly could. So for the past couple of months before bed I have watched a few episodes. I watched series 1 to 8, then watched the remastered versions of 1-3 and then any of the extended episodes from series 7, then I watched every documentary that is on the discs then I watched 1-8 again...with the commentary on! It has been quite the ride.

Here is just some Cloud thoughts on the whole thing.

- 1-6 are the best things in the whole world. I am all about them! best tv show ever
    - after watching 1-6 series 7 is like a kick in the teeth, but is watchable and has some good episodes and moments and by the time epideme comes along I enjoyed it well enough
    - 8 is awful. Just awful back in the 90's and before the dvds I ranked 8 about 7. I take it all back. 8 really stinks, it isn't dwarf. Pete part 1 and 2 are just awful like really bad.
    - the documentary's are great I really like the ones on the body snatcher collection that shows the set and how it was all connected.
    - The commentaries were also good. Although watching them all back to back I did get sick of "Ham, Salad!" over and over again. I really liked Roberts joke where he kept saying everything was influenced by red dwarf even things that were made 30 years before it.
    - from the commentaries you can tell the cast arn't enjoying 7 and 8 as much as the older series.
    - Norman lovett is the biggest moan on the planet. While I like Holly the character Norman the person seems like an unpleasant grump.
    -The dvds are great the extras are top stuff.
    - I like that you can see Rimmers old silver H at least all the way up until series 4.
    - Back to earths picture quality is just fantastic.
    - Series 8 looks bad. Everything is too bright and fake looking and the sets are less impressive than the fantastic ones from 7.
    - I hate having to hear about Chloe's costume and hair.
    - I am hella excited for series 10. I can't believe I will have new episodes and new commentaries and docs to watch.
    - My fave five episodes are Quarintine, back to reality, Polymorph, Body Swap, Better than life.
    - My least fave episodes are all of Series 8 ( I know this is cheating but every episode is bad...even cassandra I don't get the love for this...its bad) Ouroborus, Beyond a joke, , Meltdown, and thanks for the memory.
    -The smeg ups are funny
    - also is can't smeg wont smeg in an weird kinda bad way.
    -Cloud rules.
    - The remastering sucks but it is fun to watch it with the text track.
    - Chris' impressions are great, Tony Hawks and Dougs being particularly good.
    - It is a shame Norman always gets favoured over Hattie, she seems very nice and never seems to complain like he does.
    - HAM SALAD PONY
    -I don't get how Danny thinks the coronation street man saying that have "one more episode" confirms that there isnt a series 9.
    - Cloud and Harry rule./

2. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

They are indeed the best seasons of Red Dwarf so far. But not as good as Auf Weidersehen, Pet series 1 and 2.

Yeah, pretty much agreed.

Yup, totally agree!

Indeed they are, well said. Along with Empire of Dreams and the Dr Who stuff, best DVD docs out there.

I mostly watch the series with commentaries on now. They are brilliant. I much prefer commentaries on older programmes. But now, when a programme is broadcast the commentaries are made virtually straight after. Which, silly though it sounds, kind of defeats the object for me.

I thought the main players really enjoyed them to be fair. Except Norm...

Again, yup. Compare his affable nature in the first two series' DVD commentaries with series 8. If I was there i'd have told him to stop being a miserable git or smeg off.

Yup.

Must've missed this. is it on the bunk or something?

Yup.

I think the look suits the content.

I hate having to hear Chloe.

Agreed.
    Good stuff. Glad to see Better Than Life there. THE best episode of them all.

After series 8 you can't put any other episode an a 'worst' list.

QED

I find it quite weird too but not sure why...

Moving on...

indeed.

Yup, even me bird started saying 'It's Tony Hawks' round the house after i'd copied Chris a 100 times.

Yeah, she is more of a sport.

Dripping with salad sauce, of course.

I still need that explaining.

And you were doing so well...

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I agree with everything you wrote except for these bits:

As I've mentioned, I recently watched all the episodes from start to finish. And, yes, watching them in order really reinforces how bad 7 and (especially) 8 are. The big question for me is:

Will series X be as good as series 1 to 6?

4. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

A noble endeavour sir. I salute you. Your country salutes you.8)

5. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

A comprehensive effort, Cloud! I remove my trousers to you!

6. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

Congratulations Cloud. I think that's the most sensible post I've ever seen from you.

Edit: I agree with pretty much everything you said, apart from series VIII which really isn't all that bad.