Your Hopes for RDX

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mccollough, Apr 10, 2012.

1. omnomnominous

omnomnominous Third Technician

I'm avoiding making a 'checklist' of stuff I want to see as I'd prefer to just watch RDX without a load of expectations, just the excitement for a new series, but it'd be good to see some kind of explanation regarding Rimmer and whether he's a hologram of series-VIII Rimmer or the 'original' Rimmer.

Also, I'm not entirely sure how to write this so it makes any sense but since I've heard about there being a potentially offensive element to episode 3 in particular, I'm hoping the overall tone of the series hasn't changed too much. I haven't been to any recordings so all I know is what I've read in the set reports.

I personally don't have a problem with so-called 'controversial' TV unless it's exceptionally pointless/unpleasant but it's not really the kind of thing I'm used to with RD(although I guess there may have been elements of the original series some viewers found offensive.) I know people who watched it when they were young, and people with kids/young teens who have gotten into it via the repeats on Dave, so even though that stuff isn't a big deal to me I still hope it hasn't shifted too far towards the controversial. (Unless it's actually really funny and not out of place at all, in which case disregard everything I just said :P)

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

That they never reference Duane Dibbley again because seriously while it was great in Back to Reality, every other reference to it since has been rather lame.

3. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I agree....but must admit to grinning like a cheshire cat when Emohawk first broadcast

4. Slainmonkey

I can't say I was a fan of that episode, it's actually a big part of why I think it was the weakest series during Rob Grant's run.....I like series 6 bit it has too many running jokes and trading in on past glories. Something I hoping that this new season will avoid.

5. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

I agree no more Duane, would like to see Ace return though. Not sure how they would do it now he is Rimmer from Series 1 too 7.

6. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

I'd like to see the Blue Midget make an appearance.

7. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Yes original starbug and blue midget models, not the new cgi one from series 8.

8. AnnieMouse

AnnieMouse Second Technician

Just seen a Tweet:

Richard Naylor @RichardDGNaylor
    Btw I have to say this -- there is no Duane in RDX!

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

that can only be a good thing

10. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

No, it's Duane's identical twin brother, Dyer Dibbley...

11. AnnieMouse

AnnieMouse Second Technician

Following on from Richard Naylor's Tweet the other day, (no Duane Dibbley); here's another one:

Richard Naylor @RichardDGNaylor
    No Ace either.

12. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

I'm very pleased that they're not rehashing these characters again.

13. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

I love Ace, wanted him back just for one scene would have done.

14. Slainmonkey

No naked Kryten

15. hugzinator

hugzinator Third Technician

I want Rimmer to be a smarmy loser with delusions of grandeur. I want Lister to be a romantic slob. Cat to be self involved and vain and Kryten to be innocent and altruistic.

Series 7,8 and BTE all lost sight of what the characters were.

Beyond series 6 the show completely lost it. The writing and dialogue was always so sharp. It lost all of that and just became an almost bad impression of itself. I desperately hope series X recaptures some of what made Red Dwarf so amazing

16. Butterpat_head

Butterpat_head Third Technician

Plenty of Rimmer sarcasm and the characters slagging each other off.
    Cat getting on a bit but still thinking he is the sexiest guy in the universe.
    Clever storylines.

That will be me sorted.

EDIT: almost forgot...Dave to set up an internet subscription service or make themselves available on Freesat

17. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Well Pick TV and Challenge are possibly joining Freesat, after being available on Freeview for ages, so there may be a slim (very, very, very, very slim) chance that at some point some of the channels on Freeview may go free on satellite. This may be the ones that are currently Free to View but still require a viewing card like Channel 5 HD, Sony TV etc. and not channels that are full subscription like the UKTV channels. But, you never know... Challenge was a subscription channel and now it's gone fully free. What's to say UKTV won't do the same with Dave?

18. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

So long as you have a TV license, you can watch all the Freeview channels on tvcatchup.com.

19. Butterpat_head

Butterpat_head Third Technician

Thanks, but not available for Ireland

20. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Yes I agree, Tikka to ride was a decent episode, and stoke me a clipper with Ace back was a good episode the begining was brillient. But the rest of the episodes just were not as good or in the same league as 1 to 6 the storys were just poor, the main problem was Chris left. series 8 just didnt seem to be the same show, didnt really like the prison concept.