Your Hopes for RDX

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mccollough, Apr 10, 2012.

1. hugzinator

hugzinator Third Technician

Yeah I don't want to be negative and no one wants them to be awesome as much myself but given most recent form, I don't have high hopes

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

I wanna see Cat's nipples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:ops:

3. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Well, that goes without saying for everyone on this forum.

4. MrJrmd

MrJrmd Skutter

Lurked on here for years. First post...let's make this a good one...

1. Smarter humour. More of the witty cruelty that the early series used so perfectly.
    2. More drama. One of BTE's triumphs was the way it blended drama with humour. I'd love to see some more of this.
    3. Interesting Sci Fi concepts. One of my favourite parts of Red Dwarf was the intriguing concepts they brought across. The Inquisitor being one of the very best, as it works on a Sci Fi level, but works even better on a basic, raw human level. The questions it posed were fascinating, what does justify a "worthwhile life"?
    4. Rimmer being Rimmer. Possibly my favourite character on television ever, I understood that in BTE they were presenting a Rimmer who had matured somewhat, wasn't quite as snide to his ship mates. But it was on rare occasions that we really saw just what a b*****d he could be, the funniest example being him pushing the female hologram into an oncoming car.
    5. Their age being acknowledged I thought one of the best parts of BTE was the way Lister confessed that deep down "he's been dead for years". The fact that he's losing the battle against time, provides a fantastic, unlimited source of constant, underlying drama and motivation in getting back to earth.
    6. The Cat being funny again. Despite Danny John Jules being a fantastic performer and The Cat, when used correctly, being a great character, I've felt like he's been dead weight for the past few seasons. BTE went some way to giving him a new lease of life, but I'd love to see that worked on some more.
    7. A funny show I feel that the most important aspect of Red Dwarf is that it's a comedy, and it needs good jokes. Back To Earth had some good jokes and interesting angles that fell a bit flat, maybe that's down to the lack of audience. But jokes like "Looking like this, I wouldn't even get on the cover of Minger Monthly" need to go and never ever come back..

Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic, the set reports all seemed fairly positive. I'm not in the "It's Dwarf, so it'll be good" camp. But I do think that no matter how good or bad this series is, it will in no way take away from the genius of the first 6 series. If this is better than series 7, 8 and BTE I'll be more than happy.

5. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

I don't want Rimmer to be as much of a Bastard as he is in series 1.
    Rewatching series 1 and the Rimmer character just isn't much fun until they softened him in Me2

I would like to see an episode with Kochanski, maybe not the entire series.

And I was thinking the other day, Humans obviously mastered faster than light travel at some point, judging by all the derelicts the ship came across from series 2-7, so surely at some point some colonies must've been founded.
    Isn't it time the dwarfers came across some of them? Or even some remnants of one?

6. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

I really hope that the show makes it here to the US sooner rather than later! Hopefully some kind of new alien will be introduced. I've really enjoyed seeing some of the designs that they have come up with on the show. The word "git" would be great too. Something about the way Chris Barrie says it always makes me laugh.

Serious and dramatic parts are good, but please with an adquate supply of absurd silliness to keep things balanced.

7. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

Red Dwarf doesn't do aliens, all of the weird monster things have been GELFs (or in one case a curry). I do hope to see a new GELF at some point though, and that they don't re-use the Konnitawawi (however it's spelt).

8. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

I stand corrected. You got my meaning though, eh? (I typed that eh with the best Canadian accent I could manage...I'm terrible with accents :lol: )

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

To be fair, the gelfs of Red Dwarf are a lot more alien than many of the actual aliens that appear in other Sci-fi shows.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It'll probably end up on Youtube within a day of its airing here.

11. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

12. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

I could hug you right now...;-) Now to find out what channel!

13. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

This is most excellent news. I'm so pleased for you guys :-) And now you wont have to avoid the forum during the show's airing. :-) Epic winning! - International stylee :-D

14. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

It'll be nice to watch the episodes when they first air and discuss in between. Aside from Community, I've never really consistently followed a show as it's actually airing new episodes.

15. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

True. :-) Unfortunately we don't pay for cable television at our house. I'm against giving my family one more excuse to spend their free time sitting on the sofa. Once I figure out the station, I'll need to call in a friendly favor. :-)

16. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

My thoughts exactly