Zero-Gee Football T-shirts

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Mar 11, 2009.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Does anyone know of anywhere that sells the Zero-Gee Football t-shirts, as worn by Mr and Mrs Lister in Parallel Universe?
    Google didn't turn up anything, but these would sell like hot cakes... among the RD fans, of course.

2. geekrock82

geekrock82 Second Technician

Nowhere sells them officially. A few places sell them unofficially, but I'm not going to link to 'em because they're making money off copyrighted art.

If you really want one, your best bet would be to find (or make) a nice quality version of the image, and either print it on t-shirt paper, or get a t-shirt printing company to do it. Alright, it's still *technically* copyright-breaking, but nobody's actually making money off the use (because the printing company are only being paid for their service, not for providing you with the image). That's my take on it, anyway. I *have* been meaning to do a home-made LJ shirt for yonks, though... and possibly a Mugs Murphy one.

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I did consider that route when I couldn't find any official ones, but I'm a lazy slob and don't think I could be backsided making one myself.

Man this not swearing lark is tough :roll:

4. admuz

admuz Second Technician

You can say arse. If they use it in the show, your alright to use it on the forum :lol:

5. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

You can get them, they are available. I have one

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Don't you own every item of clothing ever featured in RD?

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

So does that make **** fair game then?

EDITED BY ADMIN

8. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Billy, I guess you're new to all this, but this conversation has been had repeatedly. It really shouldn't be that difficult to stick to language used in the show - but also to the SPIRIT of that language. I really shouldn't have to hand out a list to every user of words they can and can't say.

Yes, Lister used that word once. Out of thousands of words over 52 shows. Once in a decade of TV. So yes, it's permissible, if used inoffensively, and used with that level of infrequency.

But honestly, if you can't express yourself without having to push the boundaries of the site's rules, try elsewhere - since the policy is in place for a reason. As is the dislike of using 'asterisked' words as a way of getting around it.

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I give up!

I love this place, Andy, I found it a few months before the forum change and was so glad I'd found a group of like-minded folk who would listen and respond to my witterings about RD, instead of telling me to 'shut up' because they're not interested. But it has to be said your policy on bad language is laughable, and I'm not the only member who's expressed that opinion! Who are you so afriad of offending, for heaven's sake? I don't imagne many Daily Mail readers as RD fans.

10. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    Are you serious? As Andrew said - use language only to the level used in the show. The board gets fans of all ages and I imagine some of the parents would prefer to have a limit to the language they see on here and if they allow them to watch Red Dwarf then they presumably don't mind that level of language. Other people just might not want to be on a board where every other word is rude (apparently those that do go to Ganymede and Titan from what is said on here about that site ;-) )

Why are you getting so upset about what is a pretty sensible policy on language?

11. Aimi

Aimi Catering Officer

I'm quite sure no one wants to come on here to read 'this swear word' and 'that swear word' in every post. Why you think that's so laughable is beyond me.

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Simon, I'm getting upset for a couple of reasons, but let me start my offering my apologies to you Andrew. You have your reasons for putting in place the 'no foul language' policy, and for that alone I should respect it. Not agree with it, but respect it - which I will do from this day onwards.

The reason for my rant, however, is because of Andy's tendency to over-react to situations concerning bad language. He's warned me once for using foul language, and again tonight for what I'm sure he thought was me taking liberties. As it happens, the question about 'that' word, and the fact that it was used in the show, was a genuine one. But for these warnings he spoke to me like a school teacher speaks to his pupils and suggested I 'go elsewhere'.

Secondly, when has RD EVER been a family show? Presumably the parents who allow their youngsters to watch the show, have no problem with scenes of simulated sex (Kryten and 'attachment' with Lister), Kryten explaining how he got a 'double polaroid' while flicking through an electrical goods catalogue... shall I go on listing the adult based themes in the show?

Aimi, if you'd like to take those blinkers off for a second, perhaps you'll allow me to explain that I am not a heavey user of bad language and you wouldn't be seeing 'this swear word' and 'that swear word' in every post.

Anyway, rules are rules... my filthy potty mouth will remain firmly shut from now on.

13. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I would describe it as Forum Admin to Poster, which is who we are. Since you say you'd been around for a while, you clearly knew the policy and chose to ignore it. Which really isn't on.

The policy isn't simply 'mine', it is that of Grant Naylor Productions who set up this site.

Oh, and nobody calls me 'Andy'.

Sure - right after you explain how such an 'adult' show is perpetually rated PG (or occasionally 12) by the BBFC.

The first example you cite isn't a sexual simulation - it's a robot trying to remove his woner's shrinking boxer shorts. While the joke is about how that looks rude, it only looks that way if you you're aware of sex. If you're not, it doesn't work especially well as a joke, but neither will it offend or corrupt. Likewise the Double Polaroid plays on implication, not literal description. Show Lister's reaction to the pictures, it's a PG show; show the pictures, you're an R-18.

It's not about what you show, it's how you show it. The Indiana Jones films contain murder, beatings, dismemberment and threats of sexual violence - and they're family entertainment. Because of how it's handled.

14. geekrock82

geekrock82 Second Technician

I'd like to think there are more reasons for visiting G&T than that!

Incidentally, across the entirety of the front page, which itself has a not insignificant word count, I can currently see *one* instance of a swear word. And that was posted by a forum member.

I'm not saying we don't have a liberal policy on language, because we do, and we're not a "family" site like TOS is, but come on! We're not just "the place people go if they want to swear lots".

15. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    What? We aren't allowed to make crude and misleading generalisations anymore?

16. Snipofsmeg

Snipofsmeg First Technician

Its true only people who want to see bad language goto G&T as well as other things but you know what the sites policy is going to be like as long as you have met Ian has he has no control over his mouth.:shock:

17. Aimi

Aimi Catering Officer

Good. I greatly support the non-use of really foul-mouthed language :-p

18. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Oh, do forgive me. I thought Andy was the common abbreviation for Andrew. Maybe you should call me Mr Casper and not 'Billy' if we're being that formal.

19. biscuits2009

biscuits2009 Second Technician

Steering conversation away from dirty, filthy, gruesome, horrible, sweary language, I found these through a random website if anyone's still interested, but then quickly deleted the link due to spotting the previous post about copyrighted images! My bad.

:-D

20. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Fantastic! Back on topic and a great find, BISCUITS! Thanks.