answering questions

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by bedfordfalls, Apr 10, 2020.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I found it interesting that Doug mentions in the documentary that he'd like to use future specials to answer long standing questions in the way that this one did with what happened to the Cat race.

It made me speculate on what long standing questions these specials might explore. Obvious ones would be:

• What happened to Rimmer after he left to become Ace.
    • The ending of Series 8 (I hope they don't go there, honestly).
    • What happened to Kochanski.
    However, for me, the biggest one that I'd like to see explored is the unresolved Stasis Leak loop. I've always thought that there is the potential here to have the present crew interact with archive footage in the way Star Trek did with Trials and Tribble-ations, so I'd like to see a future special focussing on Lister actually wondering why the 'five year' prophecy didn't come true.

What would other people like to see future specials concentrate on?

Mardroid likes this.
  2. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Out of time ending

3. CaptainBollocks

CaptainBollocks Second Technician

I want to see Garbage World onscreen, that'd be interesting.

Mardroid likes this.
  4. Gluben

Gluben Second Technician

The search for Kochanski should really be a series long story arc, like the search for Red Dwarf and Holly in series VI.

I guess I’d like it confirmed which Rimmer we have now. Is it the original one, the resurrected and then killed again one from series VIII, or a combination of the two (i.e. resurrected Rimmer with original Rimmer’s memories)?

Maybe whether any of the original extended crew survived the end of series VIII and where they are now.

Other than that, I don’t think there’s an awful lot left to answer, is there?

5. CaptainBollocks

CaptainBollocks Second Technician

I don't want Series VIII ever acknowledged again tbh (I acknowledge the irony in my profile pic being of VIII Rimmer), especially tackling which Rimmer we have now. It'd just be so pointless, plus after The Promised Land I think we've explored every facet of Rimmer imaginable now.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Most of these questions don't need answers. The fandom has been speculating for years about what happened at the end of season VIII, but do we really need Doug to write us some kind of explanation?

I do think that a storyline in which they return to Earth and find out what happened to the human race would be an interesting place to go and could be the basis of another special. They don't even have to go down the Garbage World route as in the novels.

7. Alexandra

Alexandra First Technician

I learned to enjoy the show without answered questions. I would be OK if show ended with crew staying on Red dwarf. Lister lived on Red dwarf more than half of his life now and Cat grew up on it. But I would like to see a closure with Kotchansky because so far she seems like she is unrealistic and unreasonable.

8. Deb Lister

Deb Lister First Technician

Yes, a return to Earth would be great, as I am sure we are all wondering what happened to the human race, but that would be the end of RD wouldn't it? Plus I am pretty sure that Doug said he wouldn't write a "final episode".
    I spose if they could find out another way, whilst still in space, maybe link that in with finding Kochanski and some sort of resolution of the Dave/Chrissy relationship? Very disappointed that poor Cat didn't "get his end away" with the lady cats, he's been waiting 32 years to lose his virginity!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Alexandra likes this.
  9. bedfordfalls

For me I don't think the VIII ending should ever be resolved as I think (a) we don't need to be reminded of that and (b) The Beginning should have been the closure anybody needed with the show basically telling them it was stupid to be concerned about it.

However, since it's Doug himself saying this, I'm guessing he personally feels that there are questions to be answered.

10. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

whether or not cat repooped after returning from the backwards universe

11. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

This excited me. When Doug talked about future specials 'answering questions'.

I know a lot of people hated series VIII but it would be nice to find out what happened.

Also, Kochanski. Not as a permanent character but that arc should be explored.

I think the return to Earth idea would be great! It doesn't have to mean the end of Red Dwarf but it was kinda the mission behind the whole show...

I really hope they make more of these soon. All of the cast have acknowledged their ages. Norman is 73.

They need to make more while they still can! :-)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    UltraDevotee likes this.
  12. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Second Technician

How about what happened to Jim, Listers Son, Bexley was Killed but Jim will be about 30 now so Lister might be a grandfather, we know lister must still live to be an old man still on red dwarf as in future echoes. We also have various items still onboard that could be revisited.
    Holly hop drive, the photo graphic film that you can developed and enter, plus various other gadgets to mess with time and space.
    Better than life headsets could also be revisited, we have lots over the years that could be re visited for a 90 minute special, who wants to see Pete Tranters sister again, where's the Dream recorder that could be used for anything including a short visit of Dwayne Dibly or Ace.
    I think the last 30 years has given us lots that we could revisit or expand upon, I just hope we can fit a few more specials in before they call it a day.

Ant E likes this.
  13. bedfordfalls

Unfortunately, I don't think any new TV is going to be made for some time with the Covid situation and even when that is over the economic impact may stall things further. Norman isn't my main concern as, while I certainly hope he lives to 100 (and I get the feeling he will), in a worst case scenario he isn't essential to the show in the way other cast members are. The biggest concern has to be how long Bobby can reasonably be expected to go on. He is in his mid-sixties and was hospitalised during the making of this show with an extremely serious condition. Add to that the labours of the Kryten costume and it's a realistic prospect that the amount of Red Dwarf he has left in him can't be that much under the current conditions.

Honestly, I wonder if the show couldn't do the guy a favour and invent an 'upgrade' for him that gets him out of the Kryten suit and into a more human like form. I know it's an iconic look but the guy's health has to be considered if he is to keep doing this and I'm sure it would have fan support and even re-energise the character as Rimmer would have to think of a new series of insults that didn't revolve around the shape of his head.

Deb Lister likes this.
  14. bedfordfalls

I don't particularly want to see rehashes of old characters but I have to admit, a visit from Lister's grandson from the parallel universe would be interesting. The only slightly troubling thing would be who the mother was because the only eligible female in that universe would be Arlene Rimmer!

I didn't think it could get weirder than a parallel version of Lister's ex-girlfriend being his mum and him being his own dad but the idea of a parallel version of Rimmer being Lister's daughter in law would certainly go there!

Still, imagine the family hangups the grandkid would have. Rimmer might actually feel legitimately superior for once! Or maybe the kid has been raised by his mum and Lister can't believe his own flesh and blood is closer in personality to old iron balls.

Deb Lister likes this.
  15. Alexandra

Haven't they change that timeline 3 times now? He wouldn't be dead yet and story can be about saving him.

16. Alexandra

Also I would like to see Rimmers side of the story before Lister exited stasis. Sometimes I feel like Rimmer could hide something he saw.

17. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

I worry you are probably right about there won’t be any new Red Dwarf in the pipeline imminently due to the Covid 19 Pandemic and the economy also suffering preventing it being financed. I think it sounded like they wanted to do a full 6 ep. series 13 but they only were given the finances for 2 specials at most. So as you say with an imminent recession there will be even less money to make new RD imminently.

TBH, as Doug has proven extended length RD can be genuinely effective, like I said in my review of The Promised Land it would have been great if they could have made 2 specials instead of just the one while they had the chance and the finances! The Promised Land was so successful that a 2nd New Red Dwarf Day in 2020 would have been very welcome and would have taken it up to 3 hours which would have been the equivalent length of a full series.

But still let’s hope as Doug and the cast are keen, that RD will hopefully have a bright future still, but for now let’s hope that as many people as possible recover and this horrible virus got rid of.

18. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

I think Doug mentined it somewhere that one of his ideas for the special was a daughter od one of the crew turning up, which would be quite nice.

Also, you can see how much similar is this to Doug's Last Human. (Like Rimmer sacrificing himself to save the day.)

Alexandra likes this.
  19. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

I noticed on Richard Naylor's twitter that he did a couple of polls during the repeat showing of The Promised Land on Easter Sunday and one of them was about whether people would prefer next a classic 6 ep. series or another special. If I had a twitter account I would have voted for another 6 half hour ep. full run so was glad to see that win by about 70 odd per cent or so. But to be honest, I do have to accept that Red Dwarf can't continue forever so really I would like to ideally see one last full series 13 and then a couple of specials too. I really enjoyed the epic, sprawling The Promised Land and its room for the lines to flow and breath so would like to see more RD shows in that format too.

TBH, I am so addicted and used to the classic 6 ep format too that even if they did a series 13, I would probably want "another last" series 14 so if I had to accept that series 12 was the last entire RD run and it was a couple more specials from now on with a quicker turnaround (though yes Covid-19 will halt any RD plans in the immediate future) I would be really happy with that too.

I think a 6 ep. full series 13 - as a last one it looks - would be preferable because us Dwarfers would get 6 thrilling weeks all together hopefully again but if it is specials from now on I would be happy (because The Promised Land was so good) but maybe 2 next time one after the other or in the same year.

20. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I've never heard the expression "repooped" before.