Back To Earth clip with a laugh track on youtube

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by MacabreMagpie, Apr 13, 2009.

1. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

For those wondering what it would have been like with a laugh track, someone has edited two scenes from the specials to include one. See what you think here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoukWv5rD4E

I wasn't actually bothered about the lack of one, and I absolutely loved the shows, but I have to admit it does make a difference. It feels more like the old Red Dwarf.

The only problem with the laugh track is that there were so many emotional scenes (which i enjoyed) that it might have made it a bit uneven.

2. SimplePlan2k8

SimplePlan2k8 Third Technician

Personally, I felt that no laugh track suited BTE. It was a different Dwarf, and felt like that movie we've been waiting for!

Although I must admit, that did sound VERY good

3. Washout

Washout Skutter

I was'nt at all bothered about the lack of a laughter track either.

However after watching that, what a difference! It felt much more like the bunk scenes of old and i got quite nostalgic.:-D

Maybe the DVD release should at least include a laughter track which can be turned on or off by the user.

Thanks for the link.

4. tinstar

tinstar Third Technician

It certainly does fill in the gaps. The problem wasn't the lack of laughter, it was the lack of jokes and music.

The best part of BTE was Part 1 episode 2, when they went throught he portal. It was epic. The scene in the shop and on Red Dwarf showed a lughter track was not necessary, given enough of a decent dialogue/plot to keep the viewer entertained. If the jokes had storyline had been decent, no-one would have noticed the lack of a laugh track. Sadly, they did, for that reason.

Of course, the whole reason for it being omitted was that it was meant to appear like the film we never had. When was the last time you saw a comedy in the cinema with its own laugh track? That's right, never. Then again, this would never have made it to the local multiplex, it barely made freeview.

5. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

Hey, that was good! The first scene benefited from it, but the second scene just didn't need it. There was already an atmosphere there. Perhaps it was just because the laughter was artificial.

6. SoberMilk

SoberMilk Skutter

Although having no laughter track didn't bother me, it's clearly better and more "dwarf" with it in.

I hope they leave it in in later series.

7. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

I Still can't get me head round this laughter track business, If you ask me a laughter track in a comedy is so old fashioned, it kind of treats the views like kid's telling them when to laugh.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I like it. It seems to work really well, and it does feel a lot more Dwarf-like.

I'd have to see the whole episode with laughter though before I could say for certain if it's better off with an audience.

9. merts123

merts123 Skutter

heh heh heh, although it was artifical laughter, it did add to the feel in the first scene that it was old RD.
    very good. 2nd scene didn't need it but still...
    I thank you.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The idea of an audience is to create an atmosphere, not to tell people where to laugh.

Ant E likes this.
  11. Krytens_spare_head

Krytens_spare_head Second Technician

It doesnt tell people when to laugh really, if something is funny you would laugh at the same points the laughter on the show starts. I do feel the laughter track added to those scenes helps with the feel of the show and does improve it slightly, i would add it in. Most of the other shows have laughter in them due to it being filmed infront of a live audience, the laughter helps i feel :-D

12. MooMooYew

MooMooYew Third Technician

I loved the episodes but i stick to my original arguement and say it needed the laugh track. I've read so many people say the same so i'm definately not crazy. The youtube clip with the laughter put in is brilliant. The laughter gave it an atmosphere as Bluey said. Red Dwarf turned out almost like Hyperdrive and we all know what happened to that show (even though i liked it, sort of).
    I'm hoping on the dvd release we could get an option for laughter track or not, i mean look how well the guy on youtube did it. Also i hope the fabled series 9 that we were teased with during BTE, will have a live studio audience.

"You'll never guess who I've got here"
    "No, no, no, no, no, no, ye..no, no no, I'm gonna te.... no, no, no, I'm gonna tell you anyway!"

13. brianbrian321

brianbrian321 Third Technician

Very interesting

a well-placed laughter track can certainly take-away the 'dryness' of the audio, a bit liked well placed music

this version of RD was edited to not have a laughter track - unlike previous audience-less episodes where space was left after each gag to be filled with laughter - and yet it still seems to work with the added chuckles

not sure of the 2nd scene - laughter track certainly sounded 'canned' (more so than scene one, which sounded more natural)

interesting experiment non the less

14. SammyL

SammyL Skutter

I liked the laughter tracks for previous series but for Back to Earth I really preferred having it without, now that I've seen a glimpse of what it would have been like on that YouTube video. As someone put above it gave it a movie feel.

15. JEZZMUND

JEZZMUND First Technician

Personally i'm not a great fan of laughter tracks and i think BTE benefited greatly from the lack of one,
    I don't like how laugh tracks can obscure gags or just dialogue while it dies down
    - Don't get me wrong, when Dwarf has a live studio audience (lucky smeggers) i love how the dynamic is different,
    it pulls out the best timings from the cast, and they're used to acting with it- but truly canned laughter is never the same,
    and i am So grateful that there's never been any in RD..

..am shutting up now

16. brianbrian321

brianbrian321 Third Technician

perhaps the dvd can have a widescreen version without laughter-track (for that movie feel)

and

a full-screen version with laughter-track (for that sit-com feel)

17. Kaluss

Kaluss Third Technician

Ahh yes.. i think the laughter track really helps the feel of the show, it seems to add energy to the gags/jokes where as i did think without it some funny scenes just seemed dry, flat or a little forced. I think BTE turned out good in the end but i think this clips helps show that by adding a laughter track it seems even more like Red Dwarf with its classic high energy laughs is truely back.

18. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I think people are more inclined to laugh outloud when there's a laughter track. Something I observed when watching the second episode was that the person I was with only laughed outloud if I did.... and when watching all previous episodes they normally laugh on their own. So, psychologically speaking, I really do think that it makes a difference.

I personally loved the eps and think they're great as they are, but also think it might have eased the disappointment that some people felt while watching it. That clip is proof that the laughter track makes it feel more like the Dwarf and that's what people complained about the most.