commercial break....

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jaybo1973, Dec 18, 2011.

1. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

This is my major concern :-( the new series may be fantastic; a cross between series 5 and 6 with a chunk of series 2, but its not the BBC. A commercial break will kill it. Yes bte suffered the same fate. I have never seen it stitched back together either. The only series of dwarf I didn't buy

2. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

You've got a point there.

3. Jam Shambles

Jam Shambles Second Officer

Maybe you should remedy that then! ;-)
    £5.49

4. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

I'd watch 30 minutes of adverts in between if it funds a new series of Dwarf.

Is 5 minutes of "Buy This" really a big price to pay for a return of the boys from the Dwarf?

5. supercat

supercat Console Officer

If it bothers you that much, record it and start watching it after its been on for 10 mins or so. Then you can fast forward through the ads.

6. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

You've got a point there too. A HUGE point.

7. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Considering that ALL of television (with the exception of the BBC) stops for commercials, I wouldn't think it would be too much of a problem. It's not as if the ad breaks will be anything like as frequent or long as the ones they have in the US. And, I may be wrong here, didn't Doug did say that a 30 minute time slot including an ad break wasn't enough to tell a Red Dwarf story. And didn't he work very hard to negotiate a 40 minute air time slot to incorporate the ad break?

I'm confident that we will get a full story with an appropriate mini cliff hanger or suspenseful moment for the adverts.

8. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

Repeats of Dwarf on Dave never really have an annoying ad break.

9. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I sure hope not as that moment is completely lost and looks really out of place when you watch it back on DVD. Typically ad breaks just get thrown in during some scene shift don't they? Assuming there is one at a decent place. Granted haven't watched the channel the shows will be airing on in a long, long time so they may not make it clean and tidy (some channels do, some don't, some try and flamingo up something rotten).

10. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Yeah, I shouldn't moan really. With most shows it doesn't really bother me. Like the mini cliff hangers in shows such as 24; which still work on the DVD as they still break up the action with the clock. Obviously, this wouldn't work with dwarf.

I might add bte to my collection for a fiver, although it would be purely for the sake of it. Not like when I got the others on the day of release.

11. ori-STUDFARM

I dunno. The end of BtE part 1 is a great place for a break in the action, but on the DVD directors cut, flows excellantly onto the next scene. Don't forget, these have been written knowing exactly what breaks are where. And exactly what is needed for it to work on DVD. I have every confidence that all the time we've had planning this series and all the time they have got for post production will resolve any problems perfectly.

At least I hope so....:-D

12. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Sure the commercials may not be ideal, but what an excellent excuse to buy the DVD's when available. :-)

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Breaks really don't bother me. As has been said, all channels besides those of the BBC have them. Do those who are bothered by breaks only watch BBC programmes? I doubt it.

In fact I quite like commercial breadks. It gives me a chance to digest went on before and/or make a cup of tea.

14. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

That is not an ad break though, that is the end of the episode. Creates a completely different feeling. If I recall episode two of Back to Earth had a scene that served for the ad break, and watching that back on DVD I found it didn't work at all without the break in between because it relied on the break being there. A moment that was not included in the Director's Cut from what I recall (likely wrong on this, I'm working from a senile memory).

Best option is to just ignore the existence of the break when writing it in my opinion and focus on the product itself. If some bugger puts a break in at an inopportune moment, oh well crap happens, fact of life in TV these days, move on. Typically though the flow anything grants itself a natural opening to throw in an ad break.

15. ori-STUDFARM

Yeah, not the best example of an ad break for sure. I couldn't remember where the ad break was or how it went on broadcast. Thats why I used the episode end as an example of a break from the action. My memory just isn't what it used to be either...

I'm still sure it'll all work though.